Good camera for running?

skedaddle

Barefooters
Sep 3, 2011
Any recommendations for a good camera for trail running?
shock, dust, small and waterproof with a good zoom. It's only stills i'm interested in, and i don't want to spend a fortune, just get something a step up from my iPod camera.
Raw would be nice so i can tinker with the results in Photoshop with a bit more control, but not essential.

Thank's

I do a lot of photography and own several different cameras. I hear lots of good things about Go-Pro's but I've never used one. My "go-to" camera for rugged use is my Olympus TG-2. It's shock-proof, crush-proof (220 lbs), and waterproof to 15 meters. I've used it for canoeing, hiking, snorkeling in salt-water - you name it. It has a fast f-2.0 lens and excellent image quality, even in low light. It's compact too - fits in a shirt pocket. I would definitely recommend it. It does not shoot in RAW, but few cameras in this class do. This photo is actually a frame-grab from an underwater video I shot with this camera:

turtle1-crop.jpg

Reactions: Abide and skedaddle
Thanks bfsailor :)

Looks like the new GoPro series now has a touchscreen viewfinder accessory, which is awesome.
I've also had a look at the olympus tough, but its a bit more than i'd like to spend, at least for what i'd use it for.

What a beautiful, peaceful image, i love the light caustics on the turtles shell. Bravo.

I have this..
http://www.sjcam.com/home/31-sjcam-sj5000.html

It's action camera and probably not so great for real photographing. But I come from taking pictures with cell phone which sucks big time with these modern cell phones, which has become too big to carry around and lousy to use (touch screen). And they are so damn flat that they fall down if there's nothing to lean them against. And self timers are next to useless, mine has maximum of five seconds(!). SJ5000 has wide enough base so it stays upright when put on ground, photolapse (takes picture every 3 seconds) is a lot more useful for taking selfies. And it's small (60 x 40 x 30 mm ) and has 14MP stills. Fish eye lens is not bad either, stuff just fits into picture. It has screen for aiming, without stupid touch screen.. I actually haven't used it for video yet, just for stills. I use photoshop for cropping too twisted stuff out (fish eye lens) and making colors bit better though.
Pleuna.jpg

Reactions: Abide and skedaddle
Thanks flammee, the size is ideal, so are most of the specs, but i think i want something with a zoom. I absolutely agree with you about touch screens, give me analogue buttons any day of the week.
Thats a wild river your standing by, makes me want to get the kayak out:)

The size of that one is nice. I actually have a cannon s95 that is sitting unused. I'm going to start using it a little more on my runs and see if I like running with both a phone and a camera.

I see that Olympus has just released the new TG-4 (my TG-2 is only 2 years old and they're onto the 4 already!), which can shoot in RAW mode. The first camera in its class to do so. I may have to think about upgrading. :)

Yup, went into the camera shop today and found that out. I was also told to avoid the cameras with the sudo lens/mirror in the corner like the Finepix. I think the Olympus is the way to go, thanks for the advice.