Going Paleo

Shacky

Barefooters
Jun 2, 2010
So my experiment with CKD has officially come to an end and I've decided to try Paleo for the next 3 months or so.

Anyone else following this diet and can give me a few pointers?

I am kinda puzzled by something I read on it last night. It was mentioned that grains are forbidden since they weren't meant to be eaten but rather to seed the earth instead. If this is the case, why are seeds and nuts allowed? Was this author just being kooky?

I bought the book "Paleo Diet for Athletes" and will be reading it over the next few days to see if there is anything I missed on my google browsing.

BTW - after following a diet where fruits and nuts were forbidden, it is wonderful having almonds and blueberries once again. I'm going to be sad having to give up cheese for this so tonight I'm having some Stilton as a goodbye to dairy.

Hey Shacky,I've never heard

Hey Shacky,

I've never heard of this one but am interested in hearing how it goes for you so please keep us posted.

I've done a little reading

I've done a little reading on it....and like most "diets" I think it lacks something....that something is the understanding that every body's body is different and needs different things. I'm not a fan of anyone telling anyone else, what he should and shouldn't eat...while I agree with most of the principles of a Grok diet, there are some fallacies....one, is about the grains....whole grains, when used properly and in conjunction with other foods, can create enough protien with the combined amino acids, to make the need of meat products insubstantial. Not that I'm saying everyone should be a vegitarian either....just saying, that I believe ANY "diet" that holds one to "strict guidelines" and promises "abundant health and energy" is a false by the get go. Which makes most "diets" out there, IMO bogus.

Sensibility and awareness in your food choices, and once again, listening to how YOUR body responds to foods is really the best thing for you. I am "mostly" a vegitarian, in that I do occasionally eat chicken, turkey, and fish....I'm not a vegitarian due to moral issues....I just find that, for me, Red Meats make me feel sluggish, heavy, and lethargic. If I eat "too" much bird or fish, I feel the same way...but if I don't eat any of it, I feel it too.

The only thing that I would say to try to stay away from are those REFINED grains/flours, they have very little nutritional content, things with High Fructose Corn Syrup, and be aware of issues pertaining to "emotional eating."

That being said, I really love most of the philosophy behind the Primal Lifestyle, NatMov and Parkour inspired "Playing" and the general self-reliance philosophies. The "hunt and gather" method of eating isn't "bad."....but neither is scholarship and research, and taking advantage of technological advances in understanding of dietary and nutritional requirements.

There is nothing wrong is following "part" of a plan, and dismissing what doesn't work for you...as long as the dismissal isn't due to an "emotional" reason that has no empirical back-up. Expierement to find out what works for you. Listen to your own body, it's smarter than your intellect, and definately knows more about what it needs in terms of fuel better than any other persons "plan."

I agree that whole grains can

I agree that whole grains can be beneficial and in fact I love brown rice in my diet. However, I love experimenting with various diets and though I would give this one a shot since it has a lot of things about it that appeal to me.

Doing some more research last night yielded many, many varieties of this diet including a group that believe everything should be eaten raw, including the meat. Not sure I can take it that far. Likewise, the Paleo Diet for Athletes isn't doing it for me either. Eat like Grog except when your are training? Give me a break! We are all runners and therefore are certain to be training all the time so what's the point of going Paleo if you aren't going to follow it?

Since I've played with low-carb diets such as Atkins, Keto, and CKD I know that low-carb can work for runners as long as you are not concerned about fast speeds. I'm ok with this since it fits in with my BF running and LHR training and so the version of Paleo I will follow is just to eat items that could be eaten raw if one would choose to. Likewise, I will avoid items that are processed. If there is no way in heck I could go out and hunt/gather the foods myself, then I'm not going to ingest it. Although I prefer my meats and eggs to be cooked, I have eaten plenty of raw meat and eggs in the past and will deem them all to be ok. Potatoes, yams, etc will be ruled out since they can not be eaten raw.

I think I'll go Vegan next :)

I actually like raw potatoes,

I actually like raw potatoes, just a little taste or two while I am cutting them up to make mashed potatoes out of them.

I love

I love your experimentational attitude and lifestyle :)

and TJ, I like a couple bites of raw potatoes too!

I was a strict ovo/lacto vegitarian until I did my yoga teacher certification, and for that month only had access to the aruyvedic vegitarian fare at the ashram....and realized, for my lifestyle (which includes 30+ hours of Martial Arts training a week) that I really bennefited from a bit of animal flesh :). Like I said, finding what works for you is better than following any one elses ideas of what is right for everyone ;-).

There are a lot of things (mainly tree fruits and nuts) that I can't eat raw due to a weird allergy I have....but, if I heat those things up, for just 30 sec. in the microwave, I'm ok :)...there's a protein in them that is broken down by heat, that mimicks pollen anti-histimine receptors. It's a pain in the ass, but takes a lot of "raw" off my plate. Sushi, thank god, doesn't have this effect :).

I was a vegetarian for two

I was a vegetarian for two years. I just couldn't take it anymore. The carnivore inside of me won out...damn him!

I hear you on the Veggie

I hear you on the Veggie thing. I can barely tolerate diets that call for lean meats. I have a smoker in the backyard and ribs and pork butt taste too damn good.

I know I'm going to struggle with the Vegan diet but I've been meaning to cross that one off my list for awhile and need to stop procrastinating on it. I feel this Caveman diet makes a nice stepping stone towards it though.

i dont eat veggies...i

i dont eat veggies...i really dont. some potatoes here and there. maybe some corn or green beans if they are around but outside of that i dont eat veggies at all. i do a lot of fruit but the rest of my diet is nuts, grains, meats, and beans. i catch a lot of heat being the personal trainer/coach who doesnt eat veggies, not to mention that i have two nutritional certs! what can ya do? i just dont like very many veggies.

I like raw taters too. lol As

I like raw taters too. lol As for veggies, Jimmy. Somewhere about 5 yrs ago or so my taste buds changed. Before that I didn't really care for any veggies at all, especially anything green. It's really strange considering that now I eat so many different ones. I gave up meat about 2 months ago but don't claim to be vegetarian as I don't look out for all those hidden foods such as gelatin and what not that they tend to throw in everything. I also still eat dairy and eggs. Mainly for me I just want to be healthier and saw giving up meat and forcing myself to try other things as a good way to start.

i'm kind of the opposite

i'm kind of the opposite Cali. i liked veggies, then i didnt like them, then i forced myself to eat them again and started liking some again, and now i'm back to not liking them. everything about them became unpleasant...flavor, texture, everything. oh well i guess. i have zero health problems so i'm good :)

lots of fruit and nuts...I

lots of fruit and nuts...I always have trail mix on hand. Also lots of meat, mostly pork fish and chicken, with a really good cheeseburger or steak now and then. I also love bacon! Not big on veggies. I force myself to try and eat something green with each meal, but that usually ends up being a salad. But at least I put the good leafy greens in it.

I drink a ton of water, usually about 2 quarts a day, along with powerade zero. I also sneak in a mountain dew and m&m's when my training gets real intense, like its starting to now.

My big problem at the moment

My big problem at the moment is I apparently did not scale back my eating approproately after finishing Marathon training. I pretty much only eat when I'm hungry, but I'm still hungry all the time. I think my body just got used to the high intake and doesn't want to give it up. Perhaps my hips feel the need to store up enough for the next round of training, LOL

Barefoot TJ wrote:I was a

Barefoot TJ said:
I was a vegetarian for two years. I just couldn't take it anymore. The carnivore inside of me won out...damn him!

I only made it one year.

I think there's some good stuff in the paleo diet, but some of the paleo people on the internet are certified kooks. "High meat" is just gross.

I still consider myself a

I still consider myself a vegitarian...just not "strict" :)....it's my occasional use of fowl and fish, that is the exception that proves the rule....and we (Melanie, my wife, and I) never cook it, or buy it ourselves, it's only when we go "out" that we "might" eat fish and chicken....but it's what works for me. I've never really liked meat...and love veggies and beans....and beer...and dark chocolate....we've been eating like this for about ten years. I don't think I'd ever go vegan though...to much of a pain in the ass...and I LOVE LOVE LOVE cheese...

Good luck with the paleo

Good luck with the paleo diet. Crossfit really promotes it and a lot of people say great things about it helping athelets meet their goals.

My beef with it is the meat that is eaten now is nothing like the meat that was eaten then. Well unless you are a hunter.

I switched to paleo almost 5

I switched to paleo almost 5 months ago and I highly recommend it. The benefits for me have been very noticeable.

Here's a resource you might not have found yet: http://paleohacks.com/

That's a pretty good "community" site of Q&A.

Have fun!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts