Glenbrook Classic 2014

Kali.jpg
Glenbrook Classic 2014
kalipyjamas

Sorry it has taken me so long to write anything about this, have been sick as a preschooler.

So....yup I did the run....ended up wearing sockwas, after the cold weather at GLow Worm taught me a few lessons.

If anyone in NSW remembers this weekend, we started getting severe weather warnings, sheep graziers alerts etc on Thurs / Fri. By Sat morning there was snow above 8oom, blizzard conditions in the mountains, 80km winds.....you name it. I actually phoned the event organisers twice on the Saturday to see if the event would go ahead ( it has been cancelled in the past due to bad weather).......Hell no they assured me! The weather would be fine in the mountains tomorrow apart from the blizzards and winds and of course event would run!!

Getting up at 5am on Sunday with the rain smashing down on the roof and the trees outside practically horizontal in the wind I seriously questioned my sanity. If I hadn't been sponosred for this run, to be perfectly honest I would have sacrificed my entry fee and gone back to bed for a cosy lie in like the rest of the state :)

Drove to Wentworth falls and then got the train to the start at Woodford ..arrived at 9.52 for a 10 am start.....so no waiting around in the cold. The drive up had been hellish in wind and rain, but thankfully Woodford is a little further East, so whilst it was still barely zero degrees, it was dry.

Run started with a tiny bit of weaving through the streets and then we hit the infamous Oaks Firetrail. As we climbed higher and higher the sun actually broke through the clouds, and by about 5 km I was actually down to a tshirt and armwarmers, the chill in the air providing good motivation to keep moving!!!!

I don't actually have too much to say about this event, as all I wanted to do was get it over with and go home to sit in front of the fire. I was a lizard in a past life. I don't do well in the cold.
  • Possibly one of the most barefoot unfriendly courses. Sooooo much rock and gravel there was no respite. It was bearable in sockwas considering the 25 km distance. BUT stunning course as well, and well worth a visit you really are right on top of the great dividing range. Just wear sandals or something, otherwise you could be there all day .
  • THE BEST VOLLIES I have ever come across - RFS crews all along the way and they were absolutely bloody brilliant. Especially the crew at 10km who had lit a big campfire and offered to make me a cup of tea if I had time to wait until the billy boiled :)
  • Wide wide trails......no single track technical stuff which I like...but again, marvellous scenery and awesome MTB course
  • Not sure how long the downhill section was but OH MY GOD I have never thought I would be praying to see and uphill stretch so much. The general discomfort after about 5 km constant downhill was practically tangible!!! However, I think that was a strike one for the Barefoot Crew, as so many shod folk at the finish could not even walk down the steps to get to the carpark, so blown out were their legs :-(
  • Had to wait nearly an hour to get the bus back up to train station.....it was sooo cold, was soo tired and felt very whingy whiney by that point. Tried eating hotdogs AND chocolate but even that couldn't perk me enough to enjoy being stuck in the Blue Mountains, in winter, half naked, sore AND with no one else to whinge to.
I'm so glad I did the run, to see the scenery , the views, meet some great people ( especially the 5 x NF 100 lady I ran with for a bit) Will surely be up in the mountains for plenty more training come the spring when the distances increase and MOST IMPORTANTLY the weather gets a bit warmer :)

Overall though a really really well organised event and a HUGE THANK YOU to all those who sponsored me to run....at last count we raised OVER $30000 for Careflight!!!

Couldn't be happier about that :)

CareFlight.jpg

http://w2g14.gofundraise.com.au/page/KalNewcomb

Will surely be up in the mountains for plenty more training come the spring when the distances increase and MOST IMPORTANTLY the weather gets a bit warmer :)
Well done Kali, don't increase too much, or I won't be able to join you, when spring comes !!! :)

Reactions: kalipyjamas
Sounds like a good time! :) Well except for the sharp rocks, high winds, cold... :eek:

But very glad you enjoyed all the positive aspects of the race so much. And I hear ya about being a lizard! I used to love winter so much (and still do) but since I've done the barefoot switch I look so forward to warmer weather. Nothing beats a nice fire though. I have a couple wood stoves in my house and I'll rearrange the furniture in winter to have a chair or two next to the wood stove. Nothing beats coming in from the cold and sitting in the chair kicking the barefeet up by the fire and enjoying a nice red wine.

Actually, not going out in the first place and just sitting by the fire with a red is pretty good too :D
Luckily we are having a beautiful winter, with disgracefully low temperatures but stunning blue sky days. As long as the wind is not too fierce it really is pretty nice to be out there, especially early morning, its that sharp bracing good to be alive sort of weather.
although .....not looking for good for Spring Summer, as very little rain forecast and we are already dry as a bone....I think it is another El Nino pattern moving in which is doom and gloom for farmers across the East. Better practice my snake jumping techniques..........:eek:

Reactions: Tristan-OH
Well done Kali, don't increase too much, or I won't be able to join you, when spring comes !!! :)

Spides will you be up for a couple of runs in the mountains come Spring? Won't be as fast as you though so you can add mileage by running ahead and then running back to check I am still following!!!! Want to go back to Newnes, Oaks and also hit up some parts of Six Foot Track and some of the North Face sections too.......just might need to buy an EPIRB first :shifty:

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts