Glasses and running

Maupuia

Barefooters
Jun 14, 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
Hope this isn't too much of a newbie question! But as someone who's recently started running and wearing glasses I have no experience here.

So, I've just started wearing glasses full-time. But I haven't been wearing them while running. That seems ok for road running.

I'm keen to do more trail running, though, and the couple of times I've done that so far, it feels like wearing glasses would help seeing what's ahead, footing etc.

Do those of you who wear glasses, wear them running? Are they the same pair as for normal wear? My "normal" glasses aren't really suitable for running, so I'm wondering if getting a lightweight pair, specifically for running and other outdoor stuff (hiking) would be a good idea.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Mike

Reactions: Sid
I wear them to get out of bed. I do wear contacts sometimes but find glasses almost as comfortable. If they feel insecure just find a strap you can put on them so they don't fall off. oh and I do wear the same pair but they are transitions.

I wear glasses all the time and they don't really bother me much. I tried wearing contacts but I've only found one specific kind doesn't bother my eyes and it just happens that those are the expensive kind. I myself, near sighted, cannot run barefoot without my glasses. That's just waiting for an accident (maybe not accident because it was my choice to not wear glasses?) to happen. I'm pretty sure I would miss seeing a clear broken bottle without my glasses and trails would be murder for me without my glasses. My glasses are smaller and sportier I guess than what my parents used to buy me when I was a kid and they don't bother me at all other than fog up after a cold run as I go inside the house.

I have worn glasses since I was 10 (no I will not tell you how many years that makes...). It is kind of a pain wearing them for exercise; they fog up, get sweat streaks on em (I sweat A LOT), and sometimes slide around (see heavy sweating...). I keep trying contacts, but can't find any that work for my eyes. It'll take some getting used to, but I will say that if they aren't stable on your head you need to get them adjusted and, possibly, look at your form. I would guess there's a lot of head movement if you can't keep them in place. If it's just sliding down because they're wet, keep your head up and stop looking at your feet:). Run tall and look at the horizon. Your glasses will stay there.

Or invest in croakies. They look hideous but will hold your glasses in place. I mean, you're already barefoot, how much goofier will people think you look, lol? (Please see sig before getting mad at me...)

images

I blame my glasses in part for the neck problems I've had. And that's why I made a LASIC appointment for August 7th. My tip to you: make sure your glasses don't negatively affect your posture. And if they slip down while you're running, forcing you to tilt your chin upwards, you could end up like me ... defintiely do get some kind of securing device. I used Croakies ans similar devices until I started wearing doo-rags, which also hold the specs in place.

Actually, if you can go w/o, then do it. Don't become overly dependent on the glasses.

I have keratoconus and I wear hard contact lenses. I can't wear them running or hiking. Getting dust in my eyes is miserable. I don't have trouble making out pieces of glass or rocks or other hazards. Now that my feet are more conditioned, I worry about it even less. I think you will do fine without your glasses.

wow rick, another weirdo here? i have that too. i run with my glasses and contacts. not at the same time. i wear a hat with the glasses when it's raining out. it helps. i do push them back quite a bit.

one morning i went out and they fogged up instantly. i couldn't see ahead very far. i got home and took them off to clean them and realized it wasn't foggy out at all, it was just my glasses the whole time. doh!

I prefer contacts for running: better peripheral vision, less need to move your head around, no fogging in winter or reduced visibility in the rain. And of course, no risk of them flying off if something happens and getting damaged.

That said, I run mostly in glasses and reserve the contacts for cold/rainy days. Laziness :).

I wear contacts except on my Sunday recovery run. My contacts are the kind that can be put in once and left in for a month. That way I don't have to put them in every morning. However, I do take them out Saturday after my long run to give my eats a break and also I tend to get sweat in my eyes and my eyes feel dried out. If I try to wear my glasses out on longer runs, sweat tends to flow down the lenses and then it is better to just not wear them.

I absolutely have to wear my glasses when trail running because my depth perception is pretty much nil without them, which, unless you like pain, will not work out well on such variable terrain. Additionally, I run in the super, soaking, raining, muddy, slick winters (here in Oregon) and I can not judge the slickness of the mud without my glasses on.

I run with contacts AND glasses at the same time (sun progressive readers) and have also seriously wondered if dependence on presbiopia inspired readers had a contributing effect on my neck destruction.
Never will really know (as never will Willie) if it is just a reminder that something is askew when I raise my chin, or an actual cause.

wow rick, another weirdo here? i have that too. i run with my glasses and contacts. not at the same time. i wear a hat with the glasses when it's raining out. it helps. i do push them back quite a bit.

one morning i went out and they fogged up instantly. i couldn't see ahead very far. i got home and took them off to clean them and realized it wasn't foggy out at all, it was just my glasses the whole time. doh!
I knew we had a lot in common. I like being a weirdo.
My wife loves to tell people that I need eye bras (hard contacts) for my saggy corneas. I would probably wear them more, but I'm lazy about putting them in, my conditions are dry and dusty, and I just couldn't deal with carrying eye drops, a case, and a mirror on my runs. It's not all bad, it has taught me to run by feel and not to depend on my eyes to pick out every hazard.

Reactions: migangelo
get some big wrap around sunglasses.

Wow. Does your wife let you crack wise about her parts? ;)

I knew we had a lot in common. I like being a weirdo.
My wife loves to tell people that I need eye bras (hard contacts) for my saggy corneas. I would probably wear them more, but I'm lazy about putting them in, my conditions are dry and dusty, and I just couldn't deal with carrying eye drops, a case, and a mirror on my runs. It's not all bad, it has taught me to run by feel and not to depend on my eyes to pick out every hazard.

Reactions: rickwhitelaw
I have no-line bifocals and tried running with them one time. It was too distracting seeing the ground go by through the bifocal part. Only if I tilted my head down and looked through the upper part was it OK, but that brought about bad posture. I run without glasses or use off the self sunglasses on bright days. I can get by. Just don't expect me to read anything during my run.

Do those of you who wear glasses, wear them running? Are they the same pair as for normal wear? My "normal" glasses aren't really suitable for running, so I'm wondering if getting a lightweight pair, specifically for running and other outdoor stuff (hiking) would be a good idea.
A bit late to the thread, but here's from someone who's been lucky enough to have glasses since grade school. I have a pair of glasses that I wear for regular, everyday use. They are comfortable and fit loosely.

I looked for a pair of sports frames, but didn't find any that fit well. Some have straight, rather than curved temples/earpieces, and those won't stay on my face. I ended up getting pair of Ray-Ban metal frames with transition lenses. I use these exclusively for exercising. I have the nosepieces and temples adjusted so that it fits snug against my face. I can run and do those goofy P90X2 exercises, without any problems with the glasses.

I have always run with my glasses on. I have a lightweight pair of Oakley metal frames (with the straight earpieces) that I use every day for work and driving, etc. that I use on night runs and cloudy days. I also have a pair of Oakley sunglasses with prescription lenses that I use for sunny days. As barefoot runners, it's a great advantage to be able to clearly see what you're about to step on!

Reactions: dutchie53
I'm fortunate that my prescription is not too strong, so I can run without glasses and almost always choose to do so. If I forget to remove my glasses before starting a run, they go in a pocket. I will wear inexpensive sunglasses occasionally but it's hard to see through sweat and fog.