Gettin' flat

Lomad

Barefooters
Sep 15, 2011
Alright. I've finished the first week of zero-drop running. Sadly I only got two short-ish runs in (5k each), but it was probably a blessing in disguise as my lower legs have been feeling the transition. I did wear my Altras for a 12-hour on my feet workday the other day and it was really good.

So far, my hip/IT band niggles have not raised their head like they did at my two relays this summer, and my feet are feeling good (as long as I pay attention to rolling and stretching). My pace is staying consistent with my 'traditional running shoes' but my exertion level is a tad higher to maintain that pace. I expected this as my legs are doing more of the work of propulsion. That ramp on the old shoes definitely helped me feel a tad quicker.

As for the shoes, I am really liking the Instinct 1.5. It is a bit of an update to the original. The last is slightly different and has what they call a 'sprung toe' to help a 'quicker transition.' I found by internet nerdsearching that this was a complaint against the original Instinct, that it felt like a 'slow shoe.' I look at my 1.5's and see nothing resembling what I know as toe spring, and my feet feel completely flat from heel to toe (and vice versa). Yes, the shoe is cushioned, with 16mm of stack according to Running Warehouse. It is a firm cushion and I do get some ground feel feedback. I can tell when the road surface changes texture in them. I have yet to try the Lone Peaks out because i got too big a size and will have to swap them out.

Are the Altras a gateway drug to barefoot running again? I sure hope so. I may take a bare lap around the park today (less than .33 miles) just to see how it feels, and if I can ever get a lacing option that I like I will do some huarache runs as well. Feeling generally good, though!

Hey Tim, as far as the huarache laces, have you tried the bedrock earthquake type laces? I had ordered their regular laces but recieved the earthquakes instead. I really love them and am thinking about ordering a second set for my other trail huaraches I have. Just a thought for you. If you want I can take a pic for you, although I seem to always have a hell of a time uploading my iphone pics to this site.

keep us updated because i'm seriously thinking about getting some shoes for my early morning road runs this winter. the huaraches don't always cut it. did you go to fit right nw? i want to try out the skoras since they're local. then i'll look at others after that.

I like the Fit Right NW, not the Fit Right in the Tannasbourne area. They have way more selection Mike and the workers are more knowledgeable in my humble opinion. Just a thought for you.

nw is the one that has skora. at least that's what the skora website says. i'm curious about their shoes.

Ah ok, you'll have to let me know what you think. I haven't really looked at skora much because the ones I looked at on running warehouse were not very minimal. Maybe I need to look again as I haven't looked in a long time.

Yeah, it was the FitRight in NW; Raleigh and 23rd. Good selection of minimal or zero drop stuff. Nothing will feel as good as your huaraches, but for me, the Altras allow my foot to move pretty naturally and don't bind anywhere.

Update: Just ran 7.5 miles in the Instinct 1.5's in 68 minutes. This was a PR time for this distance and I am pretty stoked. No calf issues, a little niggle in my knee, but I am responsible for my own pronation again, so this is to be expected (Note: It's not a pain type signal; I just 'noticed' my left knee a bit more late in the run. Could be road camber related as well. Left foot was on the low side since I was facing traffic). Feet (particularly the angry one) felt great! I spent a fair bit of time in the heart of this run believing I may actually be able to run barefoot again. I'm making no proclamations, but the desire to try is definitely there. I had an easy pick it up and let it drop stride, with no fussing over what my foot strike was doing (could absolutely feel it was midfoot, though) and my pace felt easy the whole way. Feeling pretty stoked right now!

Reactions: rbondi and Bare Lee
Update2: 10 miles this morning in the Lone Peaks in a simulation run for my November half-marathon (it's a trail race, natch). Feet and legs felt great. The rest of me was a wheezing, out of shape mess. Being a first year teacher is crimping my running style and put my mileage in the cellar. 12 mm pace.

Still stoked on the Altras!

The rest of me was a wheezing, out of shape mess. Being a first year teacher is crimping my running style and put my mileage in the cellar. 12 mm pace. har,har, har.

Still stoked on the Altras!

Oh, I read the title as "Gettin' fat"