Georgia running trails/course reviews

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by mokaman, Apr 8, 2010.

1. mokaman

mokaman
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Georgia

Hey Georgia runners,

What are some running places you would like to see reviews for ?

Here are a few I am thinking about :

Kennesaw Mountain park

Redtop Mountain

Harbins park

Ft Yargo State park

Tribble Mill park

Big Creek Greenway

Suwannee Creek Greenway

Ivey Creek Greenway

Little Mulberry park

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

All of the above.  Now get

All of the above. Now get busy! ;-)

3. chickpastor

chickpastor
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Georgia

Hey there! I haven't been on

Hey there! I haven't been on RW too much (er, at all) but thought I would check in here. I ran the Big Creek Greenway last weekend with my husband and would be happy to review it if that's okay.

Big Creek Greenway has a lot of entry points, but the ends are at Webb Bridge Road (just up from Alpharetta High School) and the AMC movie theater on Mansell Road (to the right of it if you're looking at it). Other big entry points are the Alpharetta YMCA and Rock Mill Park on Kimball Bridge. It is 6.2 miles long, one way, and is paved with concrete, although there are dirt "trails" that run alongside it at certain points.

I LOVE the Greenway. It is easily accessible, feels like you're in the woods (although there are certain places where you can smell a restaurant or hear trucks rumble by), and the path is smooth and lovely on bare feet. At certain times of the year you would need to watch out for some debris in the trail, but maintenance usually does a great job of clearing it off. You can see lots of deer if you go early in the morning, especially on the side south of Rock Mill Park (across the street), and I have seen a couple snakes over the years (but nothing to freak out over!).

Yes, I wish the path were made of something softer, and that it had better views. But the tradeoff is that in less than 10 minutes, I can be running on a wide, pretty trail in the "forest" with friends/family. There is plenty of room for someone to bike alongside you as well. Hope you all enjoy!

4. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

I'm so happy you've joined us

I'm so happy you've joined us here, Chick! It's good to have you. Perhaps we Georgia runners should try your new trail out on an upcoming meetup. Mokie, you want to check it out for us and report back? I know you're always on the lookout as well. You can also add your trail review to our Race/Trail Reviews tab at the top. That area lets you also assign a "barefoot friendliness" rating and places a map marker on the National Map, which is cool.

5. mokaman

mokaman
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Georgia

Hey Chick...good to see you

Hey Chick...good to see you over here !

I've ran the regular Big Creek Greenway a few times, it has about the most barefoot friendly pavement around. Its also centrally located for runners on the North Metro side, not so much for runners on the South side....still would be a great meetup spot.

There are some tough mountain bike trails on the south end that are not barefoot friendly, I've trail raced with shoes there. Some smaller mountain bike trails on the north end haven't checked them yet.

I haven't reviewed this because they have added many new miles north of the regular trail that is not fully connected to the regular section yet, I'm going to run the new section in the near future, I understand it has several miles of boardwalk.

Chick have you ran or know much about the new section?

6. booksandbikes

booksandbikes
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Georgia

Do you run the Greenway in

Do you run the Greenway in the morning often? I live in that area, and I am looking for another female to run with early in the morning (6-6:30ish). My husband is a cyclist, and he and I trade off staying home with our children so the other can get in a run/ride. I am an early bird, though, so I typically like to get my run in in the morning.

7. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

Where is the "Greenway?" 

Where is the "Greenway?" I've been in Georgia since 1991, and I have no idea where that is. If it were close enough, I'd crawl out of bed to run that early now and again.

8. RichmonS

RichmonS
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Georgia

There are a couple of them.

There are a couple of them. One is in Forsyth county and the other one is in Roswell/Alpharetta. I run the Big Creek greenway twice a week at lunch.

9. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

Is there a website with

Is there a website with pictures or a map I can access? Still too far for me, but maybe our new Georgia Chapter President, Michael Stamm (BFRev) can arrange some group runs there if it's convenient for the members? And if you are interested in hosting some group runs there where you act as contact, please PM BFRev to let him know you're available. Thanks.

10. RichmonS

RichmonS
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Georgia

11. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

These look great.  Could you

These look great. Could you PM BFRev with that link, so he can have it? Thanks.

12. mokaman

mokaman
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Georgia

Hey TJ,There are several

Hey TJ,

There are several other good "greenway trails" on the northside but that one there has the smoothest pavement I know of anywhere. Hopefully I'll see BFRev this Sunday and talk to him about the Greenway trails.

Hey RichmonS,

Hopefully some of us local barefooters will see you out on some runs in the near future !

13. RichmonS

RichmonS
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Georgia

I hope to see some as well.

I hope to see some as well. I will be in the United Way 5K on Sunday and run on the Greenway at least twice a week. I have only been running since June so I am still slow (12min/mile) and working on getting my distance up.

14. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

Mokie, PM (or better yet,

Mokie, PM (or better yet, click on the email icon, so he will actually get your message, since the PM only notifies you or a message once you've logged onto the BRS) BFRev to let him know you and Kevin will be there, just in case he doesn't see your post.

15. Jason Crain

Jason Crain
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Georgia

How about Stone Mountain's

How about Stone Mountain's Cherokee trail. I've run it shod and unshod, and it's a great time. I'll write a full review when I'm less sleepy. Anyone else care to throw their hat in?

(edit: just found it on the main page)

16. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

Jason, we may be looking for

Jason, we may be looking for someone to help Michael head up the Georgia Chapter. Are you interested? I can no longer do it and manage this site/club at the same time, since my time is limited, and I am still recovering from post surgery problems from March. Not that it would take up much of your time, since you have to run anyway, right? Just make a couple of your runs a month a group run. Please consider it.

Also, please feel free to add your Cherokee trail review and any others you may have to the Race/Trail Review tab above. Thanks.

17. RichmonS

RichmonS
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Georgia

I owe Barefoot TJ a review

I owe Barefoot TJ a review of the Greenway. I have just been swamped at work and with the family lately. I also ran part of the Forsyth Greenway this week and should be able to post my thoughts on the various sections.

18. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

Thanks.  We appreciate it. 

Thanks. We appreciate it. Hoping to get Georgia going again real soon too.