G'Day from Australia

G'Day new barefoot friends!

I've been running for about 7 years in total with the last 2 years in completely bare feet. Within my first year of running I made the transition from traditional shoes to barefoot shoes as it solved a lot of the issues/injuries I was having building up for a marathon.

A few years later while running another marathon I was passed at the 35k mark by a hippie looking guy in bare feet. I was astonished it was even possible! Fast forward a couple years the curiosity got the better of me and I made my first attempt in bare feet and tore myself to pieces... Clearly way too much, too soon. After my feet recovered I thought it was time to try again but at a much shorter distance. This time I had success and it felt incredible.

For the last 2 years I have been running in completely bare feet. I have completed a couple road marathons and plenty of halves. It still amazes me how freaked out shod runners are when they see someone in bare feet! (I suppose I had the same reaction years ago).

For the last 6 months I have been making the transition to barefoot trail running. Interestingly this has been a much harder transition than I thought it would be but again, it's amazing how our feet adapt and change when asked to. I'm now becoming quite comfortable on various grades of gravel and different terrain. The changes in terrain feel amazing under foot.

I have my first 22km trail event coming up in April, which I'm pretty excited for. Aiming for a marathon distance event later in the year once my feet build up more.

Anyway, that's a little intro to who I am. I'm pleased to meet you all!

Cheers,
JP

Reactions: bfsailor and Tedlet
Hi JP.
Good back story. I think most people tend to do too much too soon (myself included!), even though we read time & again the importance of taking it gradually/slowly:rolleyes:.

Sounds like you're doing pretty well now anyway...

Welcome from the other side of the planet...:)

Hey, JP, welcome! Glad you'e here. :barefoot: