GA/Stone Mountain - Stone Mountain Park, Cherokee Trail

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Barefoot TJ, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

2. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

A good place to park is at the parking lot on the side of Confederate Mansion. You can run down Robert E. Lee southeast and connect to The Cherokee Trail at The Nature Garden Trail. The Cherokee Trail at Stone Mountain circles the base of the mountain and winds through the forest and over the granite slab. The ground is covered with pine needles, bark, gravel, granite slab, sand, and dirt. You name it, you get it all here! You will cross over streams and logs, bridges, the rail road, and depending on which path you take to or from The Cherokee Trail, you may cross over the lakes. The Cherokee Trail isfivemiles long. We are to meet at Stone Mountain's Confederate Mansion at9:00 a.m. I believe it is number 3 on the map of Stone Mountain. See the linksbelowwhich also contain other course maps we may be running.There are some general driving directions below as well.

From the base of the Confederate Mansion, you can walk, hike, and run (if you dare) up the long side of the mountain. The elevation at the top of the mountain is 1,686 feet. You cover will cover this distance over one mile. The best part is running down the mountain...without stopping. Just be careful you don't slip and fall; it's a bit tricky! The Cherokee Trail at Stone Mountain circles the base of the mountain and runs approx. 5 miles.

Please note that the cost to get in the park is $10, so have some cash ready. (I think for another $20 you can get a whole season parking pass.) At 9:00 in the morning during the summer, the trails and asphalt areas shouldn't be hot. Please bring something for your feet if you feel the need though.At any time during the year, you may want to consider carrying some minimalist footwear...just in case. Bring plenty of water as well.

Let's plan to have lunch afterwards at one of the park restaurants too!

[​IMG]
    Map of the Park
    PDF 722 KB[​IMG]
    Hiking Map
    Image | Easy Driving Directions, Close to Downtown Atlanta, Georgia[*]Introduction [*]Map to the Park [*]Map of the Park [*]Attractions Map [*]Crossroads Map [*]Campground Map [*]Hiking Trails Map [*]Written Driving Directions [/list]
    Stone Mountain Park is easy to find. It is located just 16 miles east of downtown Atlanta on US Highway 78. Just take exit 39 B off Interstate 285 and follow Highway 78 east for 8 miles. The main entrance for Stone Mountain Park is exit 8 off of Highway 78.

Driving directions to Atlanta from Birmingham, Alabama, Chattanooga, Tennessee, Augusta, Georgia and Greenville, South Carolina will provide you with the easiest route to the Park. For specific directions from your location, you can type the following address into your favorite mapping site:

Highway 78 East
    Stone Mountain, GA 30087

MapQuest.com map of the Stone Mountain area.
    [​IMG]
    Map to Park
    Image | PDF (633 KB)

3. mokaman

mokaman Chapter Presidents
    1. Georgia

Nice run TJ and Jim!

Its a great place for meetup runs...we have to run there again.

4. BFRev

BFRev Barefooters
    1. Georgia

I'm really looking forward to this run and meeting you all! :)

5. TomM

TomM Barefooters
    1. Georgia

I am planning to be there. Looking forward to running with you all!

Tom

6. BF Gwyneth

BF Gwyneth Barefooters
    1. Georgia

Tempted...tempted...tempted....

5 miles would definately be a challange for me, but i wouldn't rule it out. I'll noodle over this one....

7. barefoot_n_ga

barefoot_n_ga Barefooters
    1. Georgia
    2. Florida -...

Ihope to be able to meet up with you all on Sunday. Ido the walk up trail barefoot all the time.

8. BFRev

BFRev Barefooters
    1. Georgia

The email that Tamara sent out said that there will also be a group doing a three mile loop! (She'll be leading it) It should be a bit easier. :-D I want to see as many barefooters out there as possible!

9. BF Gwyneth

BF Gwyneth Barefooters
    1. Georgia

I know it's late, but for anyone looking at the stone mountain map, and then themapquest linkmap - the stone mountain map is South on top, North on bottom (in other words, upside down!) Being a visual person, I needed an idea of where to go tomorrow and coudn't understand why mapquest and stone mountain map weren't matching up....

hopefully, once off exit 8, i assume when i pay my $10 entrance fee someone can direct me to the confederate mansion?????

So, i plan on being there.....98% sure.....2% chance coffee in bed instead....

10. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

Hi Pink,

I guess one of those maps is wrong then, and I'll bet THISTIME, it's not Mapquest. Be sure to ask at the gate for directions. But when you are at the gate, you willstay RIGHT around the mountain. I know that sounds weird, and that's how I felt about it at first too, but it's true...stay RIGHT around the mountain.

I'll be in a tan Nissan Quest minivan, so please look for me.

Now put down that coffee! ;-)

TJ

11. ikincaid

ikincaid Barefooters
    1. Georgia

It was great to meet everyone today! I look forward to our next adventure. I've posted a photo of us on Stone Mt. on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=13127287&l=72d166d39c&id=847880710

Please tag yourselves to help me remember all these new names!

12. Barefoot

Barefoot Barefooters
    1. Georgia

My feet are swollen :(

from Dylan

13. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

Sorry about that Dylan. I hope you will be well soon. RICE - rest, ice, compression, and elevation. Don't give up on BFR just yet though. It will get easier the more you do it. I promise. You're a tuff kid anyway, so you know you can do this. So, who's limping more today, you or your mom?

14. BFRev

BFRev Barefooters
    1. Georgia

This was an absolutely great run! I had fun meeting everyone and running barefoot with you all. I hope we can all do it again sometime soon. :)

15. BFRev

BFRev Barefooters
    1. Georgia

Yay Dylan!!! :-D That'll happen

16. BF Gwyneth

BF Gwyneth Barefooters
    1. Georgia

Keep your foot raised above heart level (on some pillows) for a day or two - ice every few hours for about 20-30 minutes. NO RUNNING for at least a week. We can go out together next week if I am able to run - or you can go around the block by yourself.

xoxo your barefoot mom....

17. TomM

TomM Barefooters
    1. Georgia

And you will be putting us old guys to shame at the next barefoot run!

Tom

18. Barefoot

Barefoot Barefooters
    1. Georgia

Thanks for all the advice! Oh yeah and TJ the name of the park we were talking about over lunch is called leitta Thompson park.

19. ATL Oso

ATL Oso Barefooters
    1. Georgia

Thanks for putting all this together.

I hope we can do another one soon. I'll actually run with the 5k group next time. My feet are getting tougher all the time.

- Carl (ATLOso)

20. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

Thanks all of you too. Barefoot, can you email me the link to that park, please? BarefootTJ at BarefootRunners.org