Fwap Fwap Fwap

EricsLearning

Barefooters
Nov 1, 2010
Ok so i finally have a pair of home made huarache sandles that are comfortable to run in. Now how do I keep them from fwapping with every step. I've grown used to the quiet of barefeet or my bikilas and this is really annoying. I find myself trying to adjust my landing to make it quieter but I know thats going to cause other issues with my feet.

Help me sneak up on people again.

i've had the same experience

i've had the same experience with the huaraches i made. Tightening them up helped a bit. But I never really figured it out as I'm not using them very much. I'd like to hear what others have to say on fwaping :)

It just seemed to go away for

It just seemed to go away for me after the first 3 - 4 runs. I can't wear mine to run in though, since they inflame my neuromas. I have to stick to barefoot, thank God.

My theory is that the sound

My theory is that the sound is caused by the portion of the sole, that's forward of the thong anchor, slapping against pavement. The Vibram Cherry material has a particular tread pattern which probably helps to dampen the sound. I've made huaraches with smooth rubber sheeting and the noise was much more pronounced than it is on my 4mm Cherry huaraches.

I have the same problem. You

I have the same problem. You can hear me from a far way off ;)
I did get some Branca's last week and must say they are comfortable but still have a loud fwap factor!!

trim off the excess parts.

trim off the excess parts. tighten the cord a little. walk toe heel. it takes a little time to learn to be quite walking or running. it's a great form check. excess will be in front of your toes, behind your heel, around the sides. the sole can pretty much just cover the bottom of your foot. do a little at a time to experiment as once its cut you can't add any back.

Mike

The only thing I could do to

The only thing I could do to quiet them is to run on trails. This is the reason I'm not a big fan of them, and you have to tighten them way too much to quiet the slap for my liking. Using straps in place of lacing helps and is more comfortable.

The slapping also make me conscious of my footfalls and then I start either tensing my feet or running funny to quiet them down. It really kills the relax mantra.

Now that I own about 6 pairs

Now that I own about 6 pairs of sandals, I would say it has a lot to do with a few things.

First, the material used. The Branca sandal for example uses a weird kind of rubber that is incredibly loud. The neoprene used on the Original Lunas is also pretty bad. The best material I've found, like others have mentioned, is the Vibram Cherry in terms of noise.

Another thing is sole thickness. The thicker the sole, the harder you come down on the material, the louder the noise.

How tight the laces are makes a big difference too. Tighter laces means more control over the material on your foot, so you can dampen the sound by trying to land softer.

Finally, you just get used to a certain kind of running form, and that quiets you down pretty good.

What can I say about fwaping

What can I say about fwaping that hasn't already bee said...hmm. Well, when I was a kid I fwapped my mother upside the head. I didn't know what I was doing as I was asleep and I just struck out at the thing making that noise that was shaking me. I don't think she believed me though and I don't recall what happened next. Unfortunate incident for both parties, I'm sure.

Wow. Thanks for the

Wow. Thanks for the responses. I have some excess material to trim off still so that may help. They are about 3 or 4 mill thick uniroyal :) rubber but really flexible.

I'll try to tighten them up and see how that goes. If I could run after the sun was down I would ditch them but I can normally only get out right after work at 5 so the ground is starting to get toasty.

I changed my Invisible Shoes

I changed my Invisible Shoes to have six attachement points around the foot rather than just three; two at the toes, two behind the balls of the feet and two just before the ankle. There's no fwapping, and no floppiness which is what I didn't like, just a light tapping. You can see pictures here: http://unshelteredfoot.blogspot.com/

Randy

I agree, I have six

I agree, I have six attachments points as well. I've never had any of the noise problems other people speak of. I originally did it that way so that I could wear socks with them, but it appears to have been a good choice for other reasons as well. Try every different tie method you can find and you'll find a way to fix it.

Come to think of it, since I

Come to think of it, since I changed my straps from between the toe to six and four points, mine no longer fwap. Perhaps that's why.