Fun running week ideas?

thenakedfoot

Barefooters
Aug 10, 2010
I am doing a fun little challenge with a bunch of friends and clients for the first week of 2012. For every day, you run the miles of the day. One mile on the 1st, two on the 2nd, through the 7th. It's 28 miles and a good way to kind of get back into it.

What are some other ideas for unique training weeks?

Scott

Can't think of any at the

Can't think of any at the moment but I like your idea a LOT, really. Got me to thinking ... thanks :)

How about "run the

How about "run the temperature?" It's what I've been doing so far this year. Today for example, I ran -5 miles! (Oh, yeah - for this I like Centigrade better.)

Forewards, backwards,

Forewards, backwards, skipping, slow, medium, sprint or fartlek in a "Simon says" fassion for group runs, could be fun.

Is that the sort of thing you mean???

-Jonny

In my shoddie running club,

In my shoddie running club, we have monthly grand prixs. I don't know how much "training" these types of runs offer, but they sure are fun! We also have small awards (Road IDs, Gatorbarf, gift cards, etc.) for the winners of each GP, and at the end of the year, we have a Christmas Party and Annual Awards Banquet where the top five females and males in two age categories are awarded trophies. Here are some that we do:

Guess the Distance: You measure a route, don't tell anyone what the distance is, they run it, then guess how far they ran. The closest to the distance wins.

Consistency Run: It's an O&B, out and back, where runners will try to keep their out time the same as their back time; run equal splits.

4-Person Team Relay: Teams compete in a relay where the first runner completes a portion of a route, then the second one goes, and so forth, until the last runner crosses the finish line. Whichever team's 4th runner crosses first wins. You can either let a "captain" pick their team mates, or you can try to be fair and match up some slower runners with faster runners (just ask each runner what their typical 5K time is, so you'll know how to match people up).

Easter Egg Hunt: Runners run a 10K course and every mile pick a plastic easter egg out of a basket. In the basket is a slip of paper that has a time on it that can be removed from their overall finishing time; or you can add slips that add time to their finishing time; and/or you can mix it up and have both.

3-Person Team Solve the Clues: All runners start from the same spot. Each team is given a clue as to where to run next. Once (if) they get to that spot correctly, they are given another clue, and so forth until they finish. Whichever team returns first wins.

Trivia Run: All runners run the same 10K course. Along the route there will be sheets of paper with trivia questions. Each runner fills out the form the best they can, leaves it with a volunteer, and continues on. When the runner reaches the end, their time is recorded. Each wrong answer is worth a certain amount of run time that will be added to the runner's finishing time.

Water Balloon Race: I'm not sure how this one goes, since I haven't run this one with them before. Maybe you can make up your own rules.

Poker Run: Runners run a 10K course, and at every mile they receive a card. At the end of the run, they record their hand. Whoever hold the highest value hand wins. (The way you keep people from cheating by bringing their own cards is you use multiple decks with different backgrounds; the runner has to produce a card from each of these decks.)

Cross-Country Team Relay: This is normally a trail race. Teams are chosen, and each member runs their fastest to the finish. As runners cross the finish line, their position is noted, then averaged with their team mates' finishing place and time. The winning team is then chosen by the best team's overall performance.)

Run the Classic: This 5K & 10K takes place after our club's annual premier event open to the public. We draw about 3,000 runners from around the metro Atlanta area. The event is held for the members of our club who are not able to participate in the Classic on race day, since they were volunteering. Everyone runs their best race, and whoever wins, wins.

Bridge to Bridge Run: I'm not sure how this one goes either, since I haven't run it, but I think it's just a basic O&B timed run.

Handicap Run: I'm not sure how this one goes either, since I haven't run it.

Is this what you were looking for?

You could run the date? As in

You could run the date? As in 1 on the first, 2 on the second, 14 on the fourteenth, 31 on the thirty first, ect ect....

Chaserwilliams wrote:You

Chaserwilliams said:
You could run the date? As in 1 on the first, 2 on the second, 14 on the fourteenth, 31 on the thirty first, ect ect....

That's what he said. :)

I hope you can use them.

I hope you can use them.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test