frustrated newbie trying to transition

Hope, I don't repeat what the

Hope, I don't repeat what the others have said much, but all excellent advice that helped me on my way.

My learning curve shot up exponentially when I ditched the VFFs and went bare! Thin soles are better than thick soles, but naked feet trump all for feed back needed for proper form. Start out your first half mile barefoot and then throw on your VFFs if need be. Lack of patience, forcing the form, tensing up and not feeling were my biggest hurdles.

I read that your achilies can shrink a half inch or more from running, walking, living in elevated/traditional running/crosstraining shoes. It takes time and proper use to stretch back down when you go to zero drop heal footwear or lack there of. This can affect your calves as well as running on your toes with long strides, not letting your heal down and stretching while cold.

Here are the few things that helped me. Loose the shoes before you start and if you can find some gravel to start on, that will speed things up! ;o):

1) The 1-2-3 landing. Once you get this, your skin will thank you! Slight up curve of the toes, ball of your foot lands first, then toes come down, then heal OR heal and toes...doesn't matter. It should be subtle so it looks like your landing flat footed, but sounds like you're not landing at all! Noise is bad, quiet is good, relaxed is the key. Make sure this is a landing and not a strike. Your foot should be matching your speed and pealing or lifting off each step. Let noise be your guide. Also think of running on wet tile or ice...anything that will make you slip is wrong and will scuff off skin. That should keep you from scuffing or pushing off. Don't grip with your toes. LISTEN to your feet! Let them land where on the ball of your foot they want. I tried to force this and got huge blisters on the outside of both feet from landing on the 4th pad and rolling to the big toe on my first 2 tries(1.8miles and .8miles). Listening to my feet and relaxing I went from a .8 mile blister fest to a 5mile concrete pedicure! (I love you TJ!!)

2)"Bend your knees" confused me in the beginning. To me, it's more like sitting down in your stance...like you're on a low barstool. Finding the sweet spot takes practice, dictates how you use your achilies/calves and thighs and how oxygen efficient your running is. Start out running too far down, like you're half way to sitting down, but your torso should be up right belly out. Then as you run(still using the 1-2-3 landing) come up till your heals are ltouching and sliding and then go back down till the sliding stops, but heals still touch.(best I can describe it. Makes more sense if you youtube Ken Bob running.) When you get tired, this will be the first to go as you start running taller, oxygen efficience goes out the window and your steps get louder, so keep your focus till it becomes second nature. Stepping on a rock or something sharp when you're running high, will drop you right down to this zone. If you're already there, nothing happens.

3)180 steps per minute is the goal. Your torso should be floating along while your legs are churning. Steps 1,2&3 are the key to reducing oxygen consumption and running feels easier to me. Loading and unloading the foot arch, achilies and legs let you take advantage of the stored energy with quick steps. Absorbed energy dicipates the slower your steps. You will notice a lot less bob up and down, you'll be stead, quick feet and surprise stones and rocks won't disturb your form.

4)Relax, relax, relax. Shoulders loose, hips loose, ankles letting your feet "flop". When you step on a stone and you're tense, you push down harder. If you're loose and low, it will still wake you up, but by the time you really feel it, you're already on to the next foot!

My running check list looks like this: feed back from the feet? running on ice form? relaxed and quiet? Anything that doesn't check out gets fixed and then I go back to enjoying the run.

Hope this helps! I'm still pretty new myself, so my mistakes and what's been working for me are fresh in my mind.

Welcome to the site!

-Jonny

PS: Ken Bob's book is a great guide, if you don't have that one.

You've been doing a lot of

You've been doing a lot of reading, Jonny! Thanks for covering all that. Whew!

SS, As far as a plan goes keep your mileage low in the beginning. I advise people for their first barefoot run go no more than half a mile. After that, the 10% per week rule seems to work well for most people. There's some links above in the Library, one in particular that points to a training program designed by Jason Robillard, our Activities VP here at the BRS, for new barefoot runners. Check it out.

BTW, I love the little booger picking guy. He's cute.

Yeaaaaah...I think my wife

Yeaaaaah...I think my wife may be on to something with this "Obsessed" theory. There are worse things to be hooked on, I think. ;o)

-Jonny

Jonny00GT wrote:4)Relax,

Jonny00GT said:
4)Relax, relax, relax. Shoulders loose, hips loose, ankles letting your feet "flop". When you step on a stone and you're tense, you push down harder. If you're loose and low, it will still wake you up, but by the time you really feel it, you're already on to the next foot!

Very well said Jonny!

From all the other things you mentioned I find this to be the most important one to me since it really works magic especially on rough trails.

paraganek wrote:Jonny00GT

paraganek said:
Jonny00GT said:

Very well said Jonny!

From all the other things you mentioned I find this to be the most important one to me since it really works magic especially on rough trails.

It's not mine...it's Ken Bob's! ...though I learnt it from TJ first! ;o)

-Jonny

I'm still trying to get

I'm still trying to get through his book. I think I'm on Chapter 4. I was up until nearly 3 last morning reading it. Sssssh! Don't tell him. ;-)

shawshank wrote:zapmamak

shawshank said:
zapmamak said:
I also used a small nerf ball to target the knot and layed on that for a couple minutes. That's when things started to turn around for me. The soreness and calf issues went away shortly after I started rolling and using the trigger point massage on a regular basis.
zap, can you be more specific? how did you lay on the nerf ball & target the knot in the calf? seems like it would be too soft. thanks! s/s.
I use a hard nerf ball. You can use a baseball or softball or the doggie kong ball like mega mentioned (great idea by the way!!!). Lay it on the floor and place your calf over it. With your hands on the floor lift your body up slightly to roll your calf over the ball. Find the spot that makes you cry, literally (really. If its the spot it will probably make you cry or swear), and hold it there for two minutes trying to relax into the pain. I know. It sounds impossible, but after you've done this a few times you will be a bonafide masochist and might even enjoy it. Ha! Well, maybe not, but eventually you'll work that knot out with the target massage. If you feel like you're going to vomit back off. That pain is way too intense. Hope that helps!

Jonny and several others here

Jonny and several others here have offered great advice. I was a 25-year veteran of 6 runs per week, long-striding and heel-striking relentlessly. I now have no cartilege left in my right hip thanks to that exercise, so BFR was my only option to continue running (besides a hip replacement at age 41, which I wasn't amenable to so long as I had any other reasonable options).

I think it is harder for us to adapt for several reasons:

1. Current speed and mileage which goes to pot while transitioning

2. Long-standing habits that are hard to un-learn

3. The psychology that pushes us to keep after point 1.

Learning BFR is essentially learning to run from scratch. It's totally different from what we've done for most of our lives. That said, it works, and it feels fantastic. It turns running from what can easily be a chore that consists primarily of hard work into a fun activity that gives you a wide sensory range of experiences.

Enjoy, and ask lots of questions of the great folks who are all over this site regularly and are ready and willing to share out of their deep pools of experience.

Phil

Status update.  I went on my

Status update. I went on my first BFR. About 1/2 miles barefoot, 1 mile w/ Vibrams, & 1/2 mile walk back. I have been usign the roller on my calves 3 times a day and I had no pain during the run. Felt self-conscious & wary because I had never run w/ no shoes. But I slowed it down & concentrated on the key parts of BFR (relaxed foot & calf & shoulder, bend knee, etc).

Tomorrow I got for run #2 = another slow 1/2 miler. Starting from scratch so wish me luck & thanks for all the great advice & positive vibes! s/s.

Shaw, make sure to give

Shaw,

make sure to give your bare feet a day of rest before running. rest is just as and sometimes more important than exercising.

Mike

For me, it was my left calf. 

For me, it was my left calf. I'd run for maybe five or six minutes and it just felt like it was on fire. I thought maybe it was a fracture in my foot or my tibia or fibula. So, I tried concentrating on my form and muscle use to try and pinpoint the pain and the problem. Nothing worked.

A few months later, I decided to run with my iPod, which I never do becuase I feel too disconnected. Anyway, I hit play and off I went. About 30 minutes in, I noticed I still didn't have any pain so I started paying attention to what I was doing and, no kidding, maybe two minutes later- pain.

I realized I was paying too much attention to my running and not enough just enjoying the run and allowing a natural form. I was forcing my left foot (non-dominant) to run just like my right. After going to the local highschool and running on the track to keep a consistent surface, I realized my left foot has a far different landing/propel form than my right (my left foot tends to aim maybe a few milimeters to the outside, forcing it inside was wearing out the muscle).

Had I gone to a professional outfitter, I probably would have found this out but, like a lot of folks have mentioned here; it just took me to relax and enjoy what I was doing to solve the problem. Figuring this out has helped with running, biking, hiking, extensive walking- tons of stuff. Now, I can belt out 30 minutes of barefoot every morning and afternoon with no problems!

Agreed. I 'm at that phase

Agreed. I 'm at that phase right now, where relaxation is a problem and the more I concentrate the worse it is. I noticed that when I'm trying too hard, like for speed or, no kidding, to bend my knees more and step lightly, it actually makes it more difficult do and results in the opposite. I can just relax without the music but it doesn't last. It is long enough for me to notice that my feet land differently when relaxed; more at the mid-sole rather more in front of it at the forefoot.

At this point I'm starting to gather that the discomfort I often feel at the metatarsal heads after some runs (bottom, as if there is no padding between skin, bone and ground) is due to my trying too hard and landing more fore than mid. It sucks because I CAN go faster but I haven't yet adjusted to the form required for a decent pace and comfortable landings. I'd like to be able to do a 5k in under 30 mins, consistently with no discomfort afterwards. I'm still adjusting and adapting but holy crap, man, one really needs to start from scratch when learning BFR.

On another note, surfaces that were once annoying are now rather comfortable. It's crazy how the body adapts.

On another note, surfaces

On another note, surfaces that were once annoying are now rather comfortable. It's crazy how the body adapts.

That's a sign that you are getting there. May not seem like it sometimes, but it comes is small spurts for most of us. Hang in there!

I had a similar experience.

I had a similar experience. I was having Achilles tendon problems, but I would let it heal and then start out very slow (less than 1 mile every other day). Over 3 months of "transitioning" and I was still not able to regularly run a mile. It was extremely frustrating, as you know.

But, I think I've figured out what my problem was. I was intentionally landing forestrike. It wasn't dramatic; I let my heel hit the ground and I ran very slow, but I think there is just no way that I could consciously force my foot to land as it should. So, I decided to just run very slowly at a proper barefoot cadence, paying no attention to my footstrike. It started out feeling awkward because I was wearing minimalist shoes (Merrell trail gloves), but my Achilles tendon didn't hurt. And after a few runs I noticed that my foot was landing ever so slightly forestrike. I've been running for a couple weeks now, did 2.5 miles yesterday and I have no pain in my achilles tendon.

I don't want to generalize my experience too much, but during the last 3 months I've spent hours watching people run at a local park and I noticed that many are landing very far up on the forefoot. I see at least one person every day who's heels don't even touch the ground. I hope I'm wrong, but I think this will inevitably cause an injury.

If I were you, I would forget about the barefoot form you've been imagining (except for the cadence part) and go out for a slow barefoot run.

Good advice, Santi.  Don't

Good advice, Santi. Don't imagine how you are supposed to run, just run. Find a good, comfortable form, one that is not forced.