Frostbite?

Welcome, Jogo!

Welcome, Jogo!

Ok, here is another

Ok, here is another scenario.

I ran on Saturday at -12C. The path was covered in ice and snow. I managed 5K before things started to go numb. I figured this was a sign to pack it in. Since then one of my toes has continued to be partially numb. I broke this toe about 3 years ago, so I suspect that it is a weak spot on my foot.

Now the interesting part. This morning, I ran 5K again but on asphalt road. It was -6C. The road was wet and had sand and salt from the city works crews. I found that I was limping by the end of the 5K. My foot was swollen and felt raw. There was no blistering. I did hit the shower a little too soon (late for work). Ice pack is helping with the swelling.

Any ideas as whether this is a reaction to minor frostbite, salt, or maybe both?

- rod

First of all, I am not an

First of all, I am not an expert on frostbite (I am just going based on my personal experiences), but I have found a very helpful site for all those that are interested.

http://symptomchecker.about.com/od/Diagnoses/frostbite.htm

(not sure why this this is not showing up as a link)

But YOW the jist of your concern is this, it could be a combination of both. Blistering from minor frostbite can take up to 48 hours to show up after your toes defrost, so keep an eye on that. Check out the link, you will note that swelling happens (I had that last week as well).

My biggest recommendation is, if you think you have frostbite, let your feet (toes) heal fully before you try to run barefoot again (or if you are unsure it might be time to pack it in, damage is permenant), you are causing more tissue damage if you do not allow it to heal properly. I had very superficial frostbite the other week, and it took 5 days for it to heal properly, and I still waited another 4 days before I tried again. I like my toes and I want to keep them (running barefoot without toes would look rather funny, I think).

Its better to be safe than sorry.

Cool the link showed up.

Cool the link showed up.

Thanks for the info, Bob. 

Thanks for the info, Bob. Important stuff.

Thanks for the link Bob,I do

Thanks for the link Bob,

I do feel that I got a case of frostnip. It is time to let it heal. I"ll give it 10 days or so. I like them there toes too!

In the meantime, it is back to the gravel bucket. :)

Road salt is also helll on

Road salt is also helll on our feet and the pads we spend so much time developing. Think of how you tenderize meat: with salt.

fetish4running said:
fetish4running said:
fetish4running said:
Zum, I never thought of that! Did you really just start calling around? It sounds like you're lucky to have found one that has a rough track. I wonder if most will be that rubberized stuff? I'll check it out though!

And Miker, I'm *this* close to buying some rough grade sandpaper and trying it! I'll let ya know if I do!

I actually heard from a friend in the local track club, I'd check it out for sure :)

Where do you live Fet?

Smelph wrote:Road salt is

Smelph said:
Road salt is also helll on our feet and the pads we spend so much time developing. Think of how you tenderize meat: with salt.

Good point Smelph. The road salt definitely feels crappy underfoot. Luckily my neighborhood doesn't use it on the running paths, only the streets. I try to stay off it because it makes my feet burn. That's all I need is a chemical burn on the soles of my feet.

We had the annual "run

We had the annual "run through the lights" 5k tonight and the sidewalks were the bane of my existence because of the rock salt all over. Thankfully he roads themselves were pretty clean, but every time the route got up on the walks I had to steel myself fo some pain, including once or twice where it actually felt like they were burning my feet. Once I got off the walks it immediately felt better.

barefoot.zumba.runner

barefoot.zumba.runner said:
I actually heard from a friend in the local track club, I'd check it out for sure :)

Where do you live Fet?

I'm north of Grand Rapids, MI. My husband and I were talking and neither of us could come up with any college or track (that would be free) that would have what you described. Everything here is pretty new and you have to pay to use it! Are you running at a college or what? It must be an old track if it's rough! I'd love to run on some concrete inside!!!

Sparta, to be exact.  Much

Sparta, to be exact. Much closer to GR. There's no way I would make the drive to Ferris just to run! $2 isn't bad. I'd pay that to be able to condition my feet.

Fet, it's actually pretty new

Fet, it's actually pretty new (built at the local college...which has been around for a long time). I think the new fieldhouse was built within the past 5 years. www.rctc.edu/athletics/html/fieldhouse/slideshow/track_JPG.html

The gym isn't open to public, just the field house/track. I guess we're pretty lucky

That's cool looking, Zum.  Is

That's cool looking, Zum. Is it a rubber track? The way you described it, I pictured some old gym! You're really lucky that it's free (and nearby)!

I'm feeling encouraged today, though. It was 28 degrees and I got in 8 barefoot miles. It's not exactly fun, but I feel good when it's done! As long as the roads are dry, I'll hopefully be able to get in at least one good run a week. And for the days that the roads are wet and snowy, I'll put some kind of "shoe" on. I tried the wet roads (BF) when it was 45 and it was WAY worse than today! I suppose there's always the treadmill too, but I'd rather not.

Wow, Zum that indoor track

Wow, Zum that indoor track looks great! What's the surface and how many laps to the mile? The state university near me doesn't even have an outdoor track. Their indoor "track" is the tile hallway around the perimeter of the gym. Not available to non students. Consider yourself very fortunate to have that available to you. Although, I'm not big on indoor aerobics, I probably would use that several times a month during the winter.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts