Frostbite?

saypay45

Chapter Presidents
May 24, 2010
We had a great day for barefoot running by Minnesota standards yesterday. It was 40 degrees by the afternoon, and the trails were mostly clear of snow. I did a wonderful 14 mile run on a combo of snow and pavement. A few blisters to show from it due to my occasionally numb feet, but otherwise not bad.

While I was running, a lady shouted to me, "You're going to get frostbite!" I replied, "The temp is above freezing lady! You can't get frostbite!"

Well, I'm not actually sure that is true. And it got me thinking that I don't know much about the topic. When can you get it? What does it feel like? What does it look like? Any warning signs I should be looking for on my runs?

It's probably a good idea for me to know this stuff since I live in America's icebox.

Wiki says

Wiki says http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frostbite,looks like freezing point 32*F is the point at which blood vessels start to take action in shunting blood away from extremities. High winds may also play a roll, so while it may be above 32...windchill should be considered. I dunno, as much as I love barefoot running...I'm not going to the extremes with it right now. 40's my limit.

Saypay,You mentioned you got

Saypay,

You mentioned you got some blisters from the numbness? Well minor frostbite looks like blisters, but instead of clear liquid when you pop them, you will get a bit more of a puss type liquid. They will also heal up and fill back up with liquid until they start to heal. Your toes are the quickest to get this, also the quickest to go numb due to lack of blood flow. If your toes continue to stay numb during your run, be careful, as there is a good chance you might develop some frost bite. I experienced this on my -20C degree jaunt the other week, 3 toes with minor frost bite, took 5 days to heal properly.

Make sure you keep your core as warm as possible, and before your run, make your feet as warm as possible as well. I have started wearing 2 big pairs of knitted wool socks for about an hour before I go, and have started wearing wrist bands around my ankles to help regulate the heat when I am out running. So far so good. Went out yesterday for 5+ km in -16 degrees and no issues at all.

Bob, from what I can tell

Bob, from what I can tell they are blisters from friction. My toes weren't numb to the point I couldn't feel them at any point during the run, only slightly numb from a lot of snow covered trails. I felt friction blisters start to form and didn't stop running because I'm a dumbass.

Bob, do you notice that on your really cold runs that your toes hurt as they warm back up? This has happened to me on a few of my colder runs, and I'm wondering if it is common or something of concern.

Yes, very common, I usually

Yes, very common, I usually do some dancing and hopping as the blood flow returns to my toes. Doesn't last long, but pretty much like some one jabbing you with pins and needles repeatedly.

I head straight for the

I head straight for the shower and put some nice hot water on my feet. Takes the pain away real quick. I was just worried I was doing some damage, although my feet look completely normal.

I wish I was as tough as you

I wish I was as tough as you guys. I really do. But your conversation is just a little over the top for me. I love barefoot running and cherish every day that I'm able to continue, but I just don't know if I have it in my to do what you guys are doing.

So what can I do to maintain my excellent tough skin? I really don't want to go all soft because it takes a while to build up that thick skin. Do I really have to walk on buckets of gravel?

Fet, check out local tracks.

Fet, check out local tracks. I just found out that the field house at the local college is open to the public for a few hours of the morning and from 5-10pm. It's an awesome track, almost feels like painted chipseal....will be awesome for keeping my feet conditioned. Search around, ask the track clubs around town, call the schools etc.

Zum, I never thought of

Zum, I never thought of that! Did you really just start calling around? It sounds like you're lucky to have found one that has a rough track. I wonder if most will be that rubberized stuff? I'll check it out though!

And Miker, I'm *this* close to buying some rough grade sandpaper and trying it! I'll let ya know if I do!

SP, I don't think you're

SP, I don't think you're supposed to plunk your frozen or cold feet into hot water to warm them up. That's going about it too quickly. I think you are supposed to warm them up slowly; not sure, but that's what I think.

TJ, you're probably right. 

TJ, you're probably right. But waiting around for them to warm up is agony. After a shower my feet feel fine. I will do some research just to make sure, but I thought that active rewarming that fast was only bad for people with severe frostbite.

Saypay,TJ is right, not a

Saypay,

TJ is right, not a good idea to go from cold to hot that fast (a toe might fall off or something - just kidding). Thats why I am dancing around so much, I am currently trying to perfect my tango, so I can show it off to the wife one of these nights. But seriously, not a good idea to heat them up that quickly, your better to warm them up slowly using warm socks, blankets or towels or something. That way you do not do any damage to your valuable didgets.

I knew a girl who would stick

I knew a girl who would stick her hands in ice water after getting out of bed in the morning...when they were really warm from sleeping. To this day she attributes her ice water habit to the deminished feeling in her fingers. It's like she killed her nerve endings.

However! This is only speculation from a person I know!

Barefoot Mary wrote:I knew a

Barefoot Mary said:
I knew a girl who would stick her hands in ice water after getting out of bed in the morning...when they were really warm from sleeping. To this day she attributes her ice water habit to the deminished feeling in her fingers. It's like she killed her nerve endings.

First thing I do every morning after getting out of bed when the body is still warm from sleeping is getting an icy cold shower (just for 30 seconds or so). I have been doing that for 15 years now and I am not seeing any deminished feeling in my body :wink:

I believe it improves blood circulation.

Basically the same stuff you do when in sauna, hot -> icy cold, repeat...

Seriously, Bob?  Beginning

Seriously, Bob? Beginning frostbite looks like blisters?

Last winter, it started snowing VERY heavily when I was out, and by the time I returned, I had a wicked blister on the ball of my foot. Like saypay, I attributed it to friction because I wasn't getting feedback from my numb feet. Anyhow, healed up pretty fast - I could run on it covered the next day.

SillyC wrote:Seriously,

SillyC said:
Seriously, Bob? Beginning frostbite looks like blisters?

Last winter, it started snowing VERY heavily when I was out, and by the time I returned, I had a wicked blister on the ball of my foot. Like saypay, I attributed it to friction because I wasn't getting feedback from my numb feet. Anyhow, healed up pretty fast - I could run on it covered the next day.

Seriously, I have a little experience with frostbite, spending many hours outdoors when I was a kid and into the teens (my ears have taken a beating with frostbite, because I never wore a touque (or hat) for fear it would mess my hair). Minor frost bite looks like a blister because the top skin bubbles up and the void fills with a puss like liquid until it heals, or you break the skin. The big difference when you pop a frostbite like blister it hurts a hell of a lot more until it heals (no instant relief like popping a blister). What Saypay and you are describing were probably blisters, but all I am saying is be careful, they can look similar.

I have always let my feet

I have always let my feet warm up without any intervention - no rubbing, no hot water. If you don't touch them at all, it hurts less. And if you rub them when they are truly frozen, you can do damage.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts