From Competitor EZine - Burning Runner: Battling The Barefoot Runner

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
Burning Runner: Battling The Barefoot Runner
Updated: Oct 25th 2010 1:45 PM EDT by Mario Fraioli

Week 14: T.J. gets 15 minutes closer to his goal at yesterday’s Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll L.A. Half Marathon.

Written by: T.J. Murphy

I first saw the Barefoot Runner at mile 8, at the point in the half marathon where the finish line feels out of touch despite the fatigue that triggers a shadow of doubt about whether or not you’ll be able to hold the pace to the finish line. Luckily for me, the Barefoot Runner gave me a focal point for the next few miles as I couldn’t drop him and he couldn’t drop me.

It’s not that I don’t like running with others during a distance race. I absolutely do, and like most, the effect of being alongside a competitor brings the pace up a notch from what you might be doing alone.

Of course, this was at the Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Los Angeles Half Marathon yesterday, and in a Rock ‘n’ Roll race the fellow or gal next to you might be wearing a hot dog costume or showing off their particular interpretation of Elvis.

When the shirtless Barefoot Runner pulled up in front of me and I saw that he was without even Vibrams on his feet, how could I not be amazed? The course was hilly, with several long sweeping uphills and a couple of steep, sharp drops on pavement that was not laid yesterday. As it was for the cheerleading squads along the course who spotted him, the sight of a guy prancing along on the balls of his feet for 13 miles is a shocker. Because he had an iPod plugged into his ears I’m not sure how much he heard the howling cheers from the fans and screams of ‘Go barefoot guy!” but I sure did. In fact, a lead singer from one of the bands at around mile 10 or so hit the brakes in the middle of the song: “Hey barefoot guy! Wow! Are you from Fiji?”

The fuss didn’t bother me, but I pushed my pace to try and drop the Barefoot Runner because he was terrible at running tangents. At one point we entered an S curve, and if you were paying attention it was impossible not to see the straight line that sliced right through the belly of the S. Not barefoot guy. He surfed his way right through it, which meant he kept cutting in front of me, swooping past, back and forth, like Snoopy’s Sopwith Camel. So I kept pressing to stay ahead of him. It wasn’t to be. The Barefoot Runner pulled away in the last mile and I didn’t have the gas to go with him.

But I was very happy with the race, having crossed the finish line in 1:36:37.

That was me, LOL.  I just

That was me, LOL. I just posted this as a reply...

----------------------------------------

Hi TJ,

I'm the Barefoot Runner you are referring to, Barefoot Glen bib # 1425. I'm honored to be focused in your article. I'm equally embarrassed to own a few weaknesses I have in racing, one obviously being running tangents and even running in a straight line. As a barefoot runner, I constantly scan the ground ahead of me, and find myself drawn to surfaces that are free of gravel, twiggs, glass, and irregular textures. Lately I've been going around this stuff instead of just readjusting my form and powering through it. I'm able to make up for the lost time however by some of the efficiency benefits of barefoot running. Also, I realized too late in this race that I shouldn't have brought the mp3 player. I did notice and hear many spectators cheering me on (including the Fiji comment from the band leader), but I probably didn't hear half of spectator comments. Although I have to admit, it prevented curious runners from starting up conversations that have slowed me down in previous races.

Anyways, congratulations on your race and finish time. I think dropping 15 minutes in such a short time frame is pretty impressive.

Barefoot Glen

For the record, I am not the

For the record, I am not the same TJ as the TJ who wrote the article.

That's awesome, Glen. That was you! Cool! I understand why we can't always cut the tangents, and we have to really use our eyes anytime we want to attempt it. For anyone who has been running barefoot long enough knows, the tangents can contain all the debris that car tires push to the sides. If we cut the tangents, then we risk picking up whatever those tires spit over there. Glen is just running smart. A shod runner (TJ) wouldn't understand this until it was pointed out to them though.

Hi guys,Yup, it was me,

Hi guys,

Yup, it was me, LOL. The shirtless, iPod plugged, weaving, barefoot prancer description combined with our finish times, and confirmed with the lead singer belting 'Hey barefoot guy! Wow! Are you from Fiji' confirmed it. I'm Snoopy's Sopwith Camel, LOL. My running buddy has complained that I have been weaving quite a bit lately during training. I'm not sure if its related to an achilles problem I've had the last couple months or not. That combined with trying to dodge gutter trash during the race probably made folks and highway patrol along the course wonder if I was DUI.

Anyways, thanks for the support. I never really saw myself as a 'competitor', but now after qualifying for Boston, running alongside some pretty fast runners during races, and now reading T.J. Murphy's account, I realize I'm in a different league now. I need to start acting like a competitor. I'm not sure what that entails yet... I just learned yesterday what 'running tangents' mean... hehe.

Live It Out!

Barefoot Glen

Glen, we definitely need more

Glen, we definitely need more fast barefoot runners to represent the barefoot running community. So many people think that it's impossible for us to acheive fast times or faster times than we had while we were running shod. As each year passes, and barefoot runners stick to running barefoot, we are finding that, that is not the case. I am a slowpoke, but even I was able to take 15 minutes off my half marathon time within the first 10 months of running barefoot. With the likes of Alex and Julian Romero, Patrick Sweeney, and now you, we can actually dispel the myth that barefoot runners are inherently slower than shod runners.

What was your time on that race?

Oh, and when you do run Boston barefoot, we want your story for our News Show.

My time for the LA RnR half

My time for the LA RnR half marathon was 1:36:21. I was surprised how well I did. I was shooting for a 1:38 because I've been nursing a left achilles problem the last couple months and I did absolutely no speed training at all for this race. I've been running for 30 years now and I can confidently say I have gotten faster after I switched over to barefooting, which I've been doing for 1.5 years. I don't think I would have qualified for Boston at the San Diego RocknRoll marathon this last year if it weren't for barefooting. My feet and legs are handling the downhills much better than when I was shod, which knocks out a lot of time for me. My body is working much more efficiently. My cadence has increased quite a bit. Its more of a quick fox trot now during training, with my body low to the ground, upper body quiet, and legs moving smoothly like I'm riding a bicycle. I lengthen my stride a little and drive my arms more during races, but keep the same training cadence.

Barefoot Glen

Outstanding, Glen.  Congrats

Outstanding, Glen. Congrats again!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts