Freiberg Infraction

MikeMoAtl

Barefooters
Jul 6, 2011
Hi All - I started running barefoot about 2 1/2 years ago. In June I got a massage and heard/felt some nasty cracking in my foot. I've not been able to run since. My joint on the 2nd toe has been swollen since June and I have discomfort that ranges from moderate pain to mild discomfort on the top of my food in the same area. Anti-inflammatory, ice, nor heat help. I visited a podiatrist today for the 3rd time. He says there has been some slight improvement, but thinks it's Freiberg's Infraction. In the past, he didn't think it had anything to do with BF running, but now he thinks I might have weakened my bones/joints. He plans to research a procedure to clean up the joint so more blood can get to it and start healing it. In the meantime, he wants me to wear a little foam pad in my shoe behind the ball of my foot to distribute the pressure (wore a boot for six weeks with no real change). I found lots of info on shod running boards about Freiberg's that make it sound serious. Any advise from the BF Gurus?

I don't have any advice for you. I do have a question though. How old are you? Freiberg's occurs where there are fractures at the growth plate reducing blood flow to the distal end of the bone. From your picture, I'm guessing you are past that stage. If it can happen after the growth plate closes, then I just learned something new. Now, Freiberg's as an adolescent can lead to degenerative joint problems as an adult.

I would be surprised if BF running "weakened" your bones. That is nonsense.

If anything, I understand that running of any kind, especially barefoot running, will strengthen your bones.

(Okay, sorry I had to respond, but ONLY after one of the "real" doctors did.)

Yea TJ - I knew his comment about weakening bones would get a response from you! Thanks for the response Dr. Klein - I'm 48. My Dr. said Freiburg's was much more common in youth and older people. There's been no change for many weeks - still very sore and a little swollen. He asked me to get an MRI this week, so maybe that will tell more. I desperately miss running!

It's just that high-impact (and barefoot runners are the lightest in their "high-impact" sport) causes the bones to become more packed and more dense.