Forefoot question

By my own experience and via running authorities @Barefoot Ken Bob (Barefoot Running Step By Step, Section II, Ch. 3. and position 1442 on the Kindle Cloud Reader) and Nicholas Romanov ( See The Running Revolution or the LearnToRun youtube channel), the clear answer that I deem as indiputable is the ball of the foot, specifically the pad on the front of the foot that precedes the outside toes or the two little toes. The foot will then naturally roll on to the rest of the forefoot immediately thereafter.

Don't overthink or over-exaggerate this movement. If you run barefoot, it will be natural.

After that this is some debate about what comes next. I have always been a toes next and as little heel as possible, but after reading @Barefoot Ken Bob last night, I think I may reconsider what comes next. I was reading the referenced chapter from his book just last night and was very interested in the fact that the ball of the foot is always first, but there is some flexibility in what comes next. But that isn't really your question.

What I do take as absolute wrongs are heel-first landings, toe first landings, and mid-foot/flat-foot landings. The first is somewhat a given in our running universe. The toe-first is how I first tried to front strike and my calves and knees paid a price. I have never tried a mid-foot although I had it recommended by some before I did my research. But the suction cup effect mention in Ken Bob's book seems clear enough for me to not go down that path.

Last edited:
I during this morning's run as I was thinking about my pull and how it affected my landing. I realized a made a very big mistake in my previous post. I cut my run short and returned to edit that post and apologize. I am sorry for such a stupid and potentially costly mistake.

I said you land on the pad preceding the big toe. That was WAYYYYY WRONG. You land on the forefoopat that precedes the outside toes or the two small toes. This is more in line with @Barefoot Gentile and what is actually written by our resident gurus.

Last edited:
Reactions: KTR
@paraganek sorry for going off-topic but what are those cuffs you use?
Thx.
Just regular wrist band, I use them as anklets sometimes to:
A. Protect my ankles
B. Keep my ankles warm in winter
C. Keep my ankles cool in summer (soak in a creek on my trail runs)
D. To fool people to think I am running with something on my feet (really tired of all the "That's hardcore" comments after all these years) ;)

Reactions: KTR and rb2001
A lot of experienced runners land on the outer edge of the forefoot pad, and that's fine.

Some land more towards the center aspect of forefoot pad, and that work's too.

Something to try is jumping in place. When landing on the outer edge of the pad, the landing is softer. When landing more towards the center, the landing is springier.

Reactions: rb2001 and KTR