Footwear option when it's an absolute must?

PatrickGSR94

Barefooters
Dec 9, 2011
So my wife has pretty much banned me from ever being at a public establishment without shoes if she is with me. :( I have to say, my marriage is more important than my barefootedness, so yeah.

Wondering what's a good option when I absolutely must have at least something under my feet. I have some Old Navy flip flops that have a fabric upper surface, but also have molded arch supports that have become rather painful for me since I started going BF. I also have some cheap rubber flip flops with rubber thong straps that always tend to slip out from under my feet and are rather awkward to walk with.

What else would y'all suggest? Some type of huarache with leather footbed maybe? I'm thinking something like that, which doesn't "flop" around when walking would be better.

get some lunas with the equus strap. they'll look nice and even better if custom made and leather if you can swing it. i wore my equus sandals to my cousin's wedding. only person who said anything was my uncle. he shut his mouth when i told him i'm comfortable and asked if he was. he didn't answer. i wear my lunas everywhere. originals or equus. i only wear shoes to work.

you better make sure they're acceptable before you buy!

Hi Patrick. Plenty of options out there. I would recommend huaraches also. I have 2 pairs of Unshoes and a 3rd on order. The latest model is the Pah Tempe and it does not have a strap in between the toes. I hope it is easy on and off for casual wear, hiking, and walking. http://unshoesminimalfootwear.com/ I have heard a lot of good things about Luna sandals and would like to try some in the future. Now if you must hide your toes, Stem shoes might be an option. Also, I like my Altra lone peaks, but I no longer run in them. Too heavy. I just use them for casual wear. Altra has several minimalist options and I would like to try out the Sampson when it is available. http://www.altrazerodrop.com/
Rick

Yeah I have Stems already, looking for something that lets my feet remain mostly open to the air.

Yeah I have Stems already, looking for something that lets my feet remain mostly open to the air.
Definitely huaraches. Although my wife got mostly used to my lack of footwear wherever we go, she still prefers if I put something on my feet when we are at a public establishment and simple huaraches work just fine in that case.

It is an interesting topic though.
I have never read a post from a "wife" complaining about her husband refusing to accompany her when going out barefoot.
Any ideas ? Some kind of a social stigma maybe ?

Theory 1: Women tend to be more fashion conscious than men and may feel that the way their partner looks reflects on them. In general, men are less concerned about fashion and rarely notice or care about things like lack of shoes.

Theory 2: The smart husband follows his wife's preference on such matters. If he prefers to be barefoot and she would rather he not, he's going to wear shoes. If she prefers to be barefoot and he would rather she not, he's going to let her go barefoot.

There's a lot of Theory 2 happening in my household. :)

Peace,
Karen

The smart husband follows his wife's preference on such matters. If he prefers to be barefoot and she would rather he not, he's going to wear shoes. If she prefers to be barefoot and he would rather she not, he's going to let her go barefoot.
Peace,
Karen

Great answer ! :)

The smart husband follows his wife's preference on such matters. If he prefers to be barefoot and she would rather he not, he's going to wear shoes. If she prefers to be barefoot and he would rather she not, he's going to let her go barefoot.
No wonder I'm always in trouble, I speak my mind AND I don't listen very well. :confused: Hehehe

So my wife has pretty much banned me from ever being at a public establishment without shoes if she is with me. :( I have to say, my marriage is more important than my barefootedness, so yeah.

Wondering what's a good option when I absolutely must have at least something under my feet. I have some Old Navy flip flops that have a fabric upper surface, but also have molded arch supports that have become rather painful for me since I started going BF. I also have some cheap rubber flip flops with rubber thong straps that always tend to slip out from under my feet and are rather awkward to walk with.

What else would y'all suggest? Some type of huarache with leather footbed maybe? I'm thinking something like that, which doesn't "flop" around when walking would be better.

I suggest my crazy invention! Soleless Shoes!!!

Attachments

• BFS.jpg
    BFS.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 6
  • BFS2.jpg
    BFS2.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 4
Just a couple more ideas (mostly for ladies ;))

wire+shoe.jpg

shoes11.jpg

shoes08.jpg

Nail shoes.jpg

Reactions: jldeleon
I have never read a post from a "wife" complaining about her husband refusing to accompany her when going out barefoot.

I don't think my husband would refuse to accompany me when going out barefoot... But he would be absolutely horrified when I would visit his parents barefoot: His father has been an ortopedic shoemaker all his life, and they had a shoe store for years. 'Wearing decent shoes' is a conditio sine qua non for them... (although they accept - but don't understand - that I, and our son, seldom wear shoes at home...)

Theory 1: Women tend to be more fashion conscious than men and may feel that the way their partner looks reflects on them. In general, men are less concerned about fashion and rarely notice or care about things like lack of shoes.

Theory 2: The smart husband follows his wife's preference on such matters. If he prefers to be barefoot and she would rather he not, he's going to wear shoes. If she prefers to be barefoot and he would rather she not, he's going to let her go barefoot.

There's a lot of Theory 2 happening in my household. :)

Peace,
Karen

It's actually the fact that she ALWAYS wants to follow the rules, don't draw attention, don't make a scene, etc. etc. And even if some places don't have a "shoes required" policy posted, she assumes that all places do, and so always wants me to have something on my feet when I'm with her. We've been to many places when I was barefoot before, but she insists that they just didn't notice or didn't see me, and if asked they would probably say yes shoes are required.

She also used to work at a fitness place, and they had a requirement for closed shoes, not even flip flops or sandals were allowed. The whole "might drop weight on foot" argument, blah blah.

Unfortunately this all stems from a single week back in the fall where 3 different places told me I had to have shoes on, when she was with me - 2 restaurants and a guy at a Lowe's hardware store. If those incidents had never happened, she probably still wouldn't care.

My wife doesn't go barefoot much at all because she loves her shoes too much. She always wears flip flops and sandals in the summer, but rarely barefoot except at the pool or beach. In winter her feet are always covered, shoes or boots. Also she thinks going barefoot gets the bathtub extra dirty, even though I always wipe my feet with a wet towel before stepping into the tub.

It's actually the fact that she ALWAYS wants to follow the rules, don't draw attention, don't make a scene, etc. etc. And even if some places don't have a "shoes required" policy posted, she assumes that all places do, and so always wants me to have something on my feet when I'm with her.

Been there, done that.
Not worth fighting for me, putting huaraches on when she asks for it is an easy compromise for me to make for a loved one.
love.gif

I second the recommendation for Unshoes. I have a 6mm pair and the 4mm Feathers. The feathers are the closest I've come to true barefoot feel in a shoe. They are very well made and look like a Teva sandal to the casual observer. For running I found then much more comfortable than the cord based huaraches like the Luna of Invisible shoes.

~David

No offense to anyone who has them, honestly, but the SoftStars just do not look very appealing to me, at all. Maybe on kids, but the adult versions look like overgrown kids' shoes.

I have my Stems which are great, but my feet still sweat in them, which I hate. I've been wearing them to work, though.

I'm leaning towards Unshoes Wokova
wokova_buynow.jpg

or Bedrock's Classic huarche
top_yellow_sandals.jpeg

Just have to come up with $45 to spend on something most people would only want to pay $10-$15 for.

Good choice Patrick. Although I have not tried Bedrocks, Lunas, Brancas, or Invisible Shoes, I would like to point out that the Unshoes have an extra attachment point (4 vs. 3) I think this really helps to keep the sandal on better and help prevent the front from folding over. The Wokova takes slightly longer to slip on. The Feather model has an elastic band that makes them easy to slip on and off. Also, I would recommend the thinnest sole possible. On the price, I think they are worth it. I have had no quality issues with mine. I had plenty of miles on my first pair, but had to get more pairs because of my growing feet. When you get them they might seem a little big. I think they do shrink a little and form to your feet.

Theory 2: The smart husband follows his wife's preference on such matters... There's a lot of Theory 2 happening in my household.

I'm reminded of an experience in high school...

My high school shop teacher was having a conversation with his wife (PhysEd teacher) about the design of their house. She was trying to make changes to the blueprints, and he was attempting to explain why you couldn't do what she wanted to. After about three minutes of back and forth he literally stepped back, took a deep breath and said, "You know what? You're right, if you want that moved I'll move it."

As the three of us headed out of the door he said to me, "Aaron, there's something you need to know about marriage; 'the wife is always right..." As she turned into the gym she smiled and said, "That's right." As the gym door closed he finished his sentence with a smirk on his face, "Hypothetically speaking."

Take that as you will.

The wife is always right, if you want to do the deed with her ever again. :)