Footprints in the Sand

Footprints in the Sand.jpg

Footprints in the Sand
Dr. Mark's Desk

This blog post will contain few words as the pictures tell the story. I started distance running in Avalon NJ barefoot in the sand as 12 year old running with my brother Chris who was prepping for cross country. We would do 10 miles barefoot without thinking much of it. This was in the late 70’s at the beginning of the running boom. It was rare to see a “shod” runner on the beach. We literally followed in the barefootsteps of my Uncle Anthony Cucuzzella who is a lifetime runner.

Today on the beach it is the opposite and although there are exponentially more runners it is rare to see a barefoot runner. As I witness the sheer joy of my dog chasing after a seagull in the early morning, there is something magical and freeing in the experience of barefoot running on the beach , especially through the shallow water. To continue reading, please visit: http://naturalrunningcenter.com/2016/08/07/footprints-sand/

Reactions: Robin and KTR
the past couple months I've been running a half marathon route on a series of local beaches fairly regularly and have noticed that while there are almost always a number of runners on the beach at the same time as me, every single one of them is wearing standard running shoes. It makes me sad seeing how people are probably so mentally attached to their shoes that it might not even occur to them that there are places where running barefoot is far easier than wearing shoes.

the past couple months I've been running a half marathon route on a series of local beaches fairly regularly and have noticed that while there are almost always a number of runners on the beach at the same time as me, every single one of them is wearing standard running shoes. It makes me sad seeing how people are probably so mentally attached to their shoes that it might not even occur to them that there are places where running barefoot is far easier than wearing shoes.
I know. I see the same thing. I just want to run up to them and shout, "Take your shoes off!"

I know. I see the same thing. I just want to run up to them and shout, "Take your shoes off!"
True, but I kind of understand why they don't remove their shoes. I bet they are really craving to go barefoot on the beach sand, but I guess this is what happens:
1. They don't want to stop and waste time having to remove their shoes and socks
2. Having to run with your shoes in your hand is kind of frustrating.
3. Putting their shoes back on after a beach run implies having to stop again (even longer than when they removed them)
4. They don't want any sand in their shoes for the rest of the run back home

The solution would be... to run barefoot the whole time! Obviously.

Last edited:
Reactions: dutchie53
True, but I kind of understand why they don't remove their shoes. I bet they are really craving to go barefoot on the beach sand, but I guess this is what happens:
1. They don't want to stop and waste time having to remove their shoes and socks
2. Having to run with your shoes in your hand is kind of frustrating.
3. Putting their shoes back on after a beach run implies having to stop again (even longer than when they removed them)
4. They don't want any sand in their shoes for the rest of the run back home

The solution would be... to run the barefoot the whole time! Obviously.
...or just leave the shoes at home.

Reactions: KTR