Foot cramps

Agnesd

Barefooters
Jan 24, 2012
Lake Stevens, WA
I've been in minimalist shoes for a year now, but my husband just recently decided to give it a try. I've never had problems with foot cramps in any kind of shoes, but my husband is complaining of his feet cramping after wearing his zero drop shoes at work. He's been wearing them on and off for a couple months now, but this foot cramp thing is new.

I'm thinking it's a mix of dehydration, and the fact that he keeps going back to his old style shoes. I've tried to encourage him to just stay in the zero drops to strengthen his feet, but he's a hard sell for any change. He just bought some new hiking shoes and new high heeled running shoes, and he's rotating between them all.

Anyone have any ideas or experience with this kind of thing? Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

He's just working you for foot massages.;) You know the answer, his feet are just weak. If he want to go back to his old shoes, let him, but a least try to get him to take the insoles out. Also make a no shoe policy in the house, just living a little barefoot will help strengthen his feet. After a while, he will see what a great time you are having without shoes and convert. I'm still working on my spouse, maybe someday.

Reactions: Bare Lee
trigger points. they cause all kinds of pain. look on teamdoctorsblog for guidance on how to get rid of those. it's work and it's painful but you feel so much relief afterwards. he can watch and get most of them out himself. for others a partner makes it easier to get at them.

once he gets them out then he'll want to strengthen and supercharge his tendons. Dr Stoxen gave a good yet brief description in "How I Got my Wiggle Back."

I've tried to get him to keep his shoes off in the house, not only to strengthen his feet, but to help with his toenail fungus problem. He had laser treatment and applies tea tree oil daily, but he still always wears shoes, and only sometimes wears sandals. I keep telling him air will also help, but he doesn't want to hear it. And part of the reason he goes back to his old shoes is because he thinks he needs the insoles, so I don't think he'll leave those out. I pointed out to him that he was complaining of foot issues with his old shoes, so why does he think those are any better. Bottom line: He hates change.

Thanks for the tip on trigger point, I'll look into that for him.

tell him what i always say. "dinosaurs didn't adapt, where are they now?"

change can be hard for some and hassling him won't help. waste of energy for you. i myself drinks lots of raw apple cider vinegar as it's good for digestion. i was just told it will kill foot fungus as well. buy some Braggs' and have him soak his feet in it.

learn the trigger point therapy and "practice" it on him in the guise you want to learn on yourself and for running friends. maybe he'll come around after that.

Thanks. I don't hassle him, I just gently put my ideas out there. I was absolutely shocked when he expressed interest in zero drop shoes, and I just smiled and guided him to the right store.

We have the Braggs vinegar at home for putting in shakes, I'll have to suggest that to him.

I get foot cramps once in a while now when I'm doing exercises with my feet bent way over (using balance ball, or yoga).
Is he able to relax the feet, massage them a bit, and get them back to ok (in which case I would say whatever, no big deal, just adaptation), or does the pain linger?
Also, if any of his shoes aren't fitting right, that could be an issue. He may not realize if his shoes are too tight if he's used to traditional shoes.

I think he can work out the cramps, but he still complains about them. I don't think his shoes are too tight, but he might be lacing them too tight? The day he complained about the cramps, I think he was wearing his new high heeled running shoes, then he went to work in his zero drop shoes.
I really think it might be an adjustment thing. His feet are getting used to the zero drop less supportive shoe, but he keeps going back to his other shoes and throwing off his muscle and tendon development. I convinced him to ease into wearing the minimalist shoes at work - increasing by a couple hours at a time over the course of a week or two - and that worked out well. If he was going between different minimalist shoes, I don't think it would cause a problem. But he's basically going back to supportive shoes, then trying to wear the minimalist ones again. I wouldn't think he'd have to adjust all over again, but I think that might be his problem.