Flip Flops

Except for having to

Except for having to "subconciously" tighten down around my toes to keep them on my feet, they're not bad. Add a heel strap, and you can't go wrong.

I tried running in flip flops

I tried running in flip flops recently and it felt horrible to me... like, very uncomfortably needing to curly my toes like TJ's saying to feel like they were 'staying on,' though I suppose they don't really need to... I dunno. So I took them off and ran barefoot.

Mind you, I'd love to be able to run in them for hot pavement, etc. I don't know how to do it though, keeping my same foot landing as when barefoot, with all that flip floppin' around back there.

Target has very, very thin

Target has very, very thin flip flops for women. I don't know if they have them that way for men. I walked into the store barefoot to buy them. ;-) Hee.

I love flip flops! I don't

I love flip flops! I don't really like them for running, but it's really nice to be able to kick them off, run barefoot to desired destination, then put them back on. I do this quite often if I'm going to the store. I will park all the way in the back, kick off my flip flops, then run to the entrance barefoot. People don't look at you quite as crazy as long as you are carrying shoes. :)

I saw a presentation about barefoot running by Dr Irene Davis on YouTube. She was saying that it's actually good to wear flip-flops, because when you squeeze you toes together to keep them on, you are strengthening the muscles in your feet. Sounds good to me. :D

Love Dr. Davis!  One of our

Love Dr. Davis! One of our doctors here would say the opposite though, and did to me, in a conversation we had on the phone. He feels flip-flops are not good for us. He says walking around clinching your toes is not healthy.

In my constant quest for

In my constant quest for wearable shoes that look decent, for everyday wear, I bought some fancy flip-flops today... nearly flat, no toe spring, actually wide enough for my toes, which most shoes aren't these days.

http://www.reportshoes.com/index.php/shop/new-footwear/ebben3.html

For running, I like barefoot best, or huaraches. I am about to get some Lunas to try those.

I love flip flops for kicking

I love flip flops for kicking back. Haven't ever tried them for running. You can find plain old flat ones at Old Navy.

The squeezing the toes thing is how I began conditioning my feet for barefoot running LONG before I started. I have lots of foot issues so this was one of the exercises my coach gave me to help. I had a weight on the end of a dish towel and would slowly pull the towel with my toes towards me. The other exercise was picking up pencils with my toes. Not sure to what extent this helped me in my transition, but I think it definitely strengthened the muscles in my feet especially in my arch. I am not the ultra pronator I was before and have had no serious foot problems since I started running barefoot (no neuroma or bunion pain and my plantar fascitis is non-existent). A lot of this could also be attributed to my barefoot running, but I don't think the exercises hurt.

This is the guy in Florida

This is the guy in Florida that runs in flip flops, his mode of transportation. He's known as the Flip Flop Man. He goes everywhere in flip flops and doesn't drive a car, if I remember correctly. Logs over 100 miles a week. He's pretty well-known down there. Check out his story here: http://www.sptimes.com/2007/10/04/Life/Catching_up_with_the_.shtml Pretty cool!

Floridi_Manin_2074138.jpg

ya i read podiatrists are

ya i read podiatrists are pretty against flip flops. they appear to cause hammer toes from the curling action which leads to other foot and back problems. i find my huaraches more comfortable than cushy flip flops.

Mike

I think the rule is that

I think the rule is that you're OK until Labor Day...

I just don't like having that piece of cord between my first two toes. VFFs are OK because they spread the contact over the entire span of my toes. But if I ever go to huaraches (not likely as of today), I'll have to re-search the site for how to tie them without going between your toes. I remember seeing several folks posting their favorite ways to make that work.

Flip flops are fine for me as a temporary measure on hot asphalt, sand, etc., but they offer me so little protection overall(particularly in sand) that I still don't care much for them. I wear them when I need quick, cheap and very short-term footwear.

Abide, I am on the hunt for

Abide, I am on the hunt for thin flip flops as well, I will let you know if I find any. Tj, I will have to check out target. And to clear things up I am not talking about running in them, I run barefoot.

Flip flops are really just convential when you need to kick them off quickly, or put them on when going into a store.

My favorite flip flops are

My favorite flip flops are from Sanuk. I have a pair of the Beer Cozy ones, which are made from recycled beer cozies. Very comfortable. They are a lot better quality than the $10 cheapies that you usually see. They've lasted me several years.

I agree with TJ how you have

I agree with TJ how you have to hold them on. I hate the feeling and they hurt my feet/calves. I'd rather be BF and put on my KSOs if needed

Barefoot Gentile wrote:The

Barefoot Gentile said:
The cream of crop when it comes to spring/summer minimal footwear. Broke out mine today, and they just rule over huaraches or any other millions of sandals coming out that don't make sense. Anyone else agree?

Really? Even better than anything from lunasandal with the equus laces? Cheaper for certain, I know. I can understand better than the huarches I have, I just can't get comfortable in them. I can tolerate them but they certainly aren't "invisible." My old shod sandals were much better but I tossed them and haven't found a pair to match them since. I should have kept the damn things.

I think I'm gonna settle on the leadvilles with the leathertop and equus laces; that should be a fair compromise, I guess.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS