Flexor digitorum longus?

chuckcwall

Barefooters
Jul 14, 2011
Hello again everybody!

So, the good news is that my calves & Achilles tendons are feeling much better.

Last night I was trying to increase my distance past 1 mi, and I got a sudden cramping on the inside of my right lower leg. It stopped me dead and I had to walk the remainder, and the cramp wouldn't release for several hours.

I got out the anatomy textbook and have narrowed this down to the "flexor digitorum longus," or maybe the "flexor hallucis longus," at least those were in the drawings that matched the location of my pain. I've never had this cramp before, and I had never heard of these muscles before last night.

Has anyone else injured these muscles, and if so, what did you do for treatment?

Is this indicative of some specific problem with my form (over-striding, pushing-off, etc)?

Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom and expertise!

(Talonraid, I love those eccentric calf raises, thanks for the suggestion!)

Were you barefoot, minimal,

Were you barefoot, minimal, or traditionally shod when the pain hit? Knowing helps us to give better advice.

Completely barefoot. Took one

Completely barefoot. Took one day off, and tried again today, for a shorter distance (again completely barefoot). Felt some "twitching" and soreness in the same part of my leg, but it didn't intensify into a full cramp this time.

Hopefully just a transient thing? I'm at the stage where I'd really like to start building my mileage, but I think these assorted small cramps and injuries are telling me that my body is not ready.

Have you considered whether

Have you considered whether or not you are getting enough calcium and vitamin D? Having a deficiency in either or both of these can cause cramping. This may not be a barefoot thing but a deficiency thing. Good luck to you.

Chuck, 3 issues come to

Chuck,

3 issues come to mind.

1. foot strength...can you stabilize/balance on one foot?

2. big toe dorsiflexion....need at least 30 degrees

3. calf range of motion....can you do a basic squat?

these things are essential for stability and mobility in the foot and ankle.

This helps things to function efficiently.

Dr. Mark