FL/Homestead - February Wicked Full Moon Fun Run - Chapter Event

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Queenie, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Queenie

Queenie Chapter Presidents
    1. Florida - Miami
    2. Presidents

Date: Wed 02/08/12 12:00 AM - 1:00 AM EST
    Link: Download the Flyer Here

Sorry for the short notice on this one. [​IMG]

Calling ALL runners. Novice or Elite. Join us for a night run under the stars. The route is a nice easy , flat loop so its perfect for speed work, distance work or just a nice easy run with some friends. The loop is approximately 1 mile and runners will be visible all the way around.
    • A-OK for jogging strollers and well behaved pets to join in the fun. Pet owners are REQUIRED to clean up after their pets.
    • Ample parking. (All participants are responsible for securing their vehicles and valuables. )
    • Please bring your headlamps, flashlights, reflectors and knuckle lights.
    • Costumes also welcomed.
    • Runners should bring their own snacks and water. NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES will be permitted during any portion of this event.

We had a great turn out for our first event and hope that more will join us this time. There will be a bareform clinic just prior to the run.

Please be on time and don't forget your lights! [​IMG]

2. Queenie

1. Florida - Miami
    2. Presidents

Tonight is the night. I know right now that the weather is questionable at the moment however, the forecast is looking decent for this evening at run time. The course is paved and currently has no standing water. Yipppiieee.We are planning to run however, if the weather deteriorates, we will be posting on the event page on Facebook as well as on the event page at Barefoot Runners Society. If things look soggy around run time, please check those two places for any last minute updates. Otherwise, we are planning a great night of running and fun.Can't wait to see everyone. As always, if you have questions, holler.Shelah

3. mtortiz77

mtortiz77 Barefooters
    1. Florida -...
    2. Florida - Miami

Hi Shelah,

Are you going to be planning any runs/meetups in the Miami area in the future, or are they all going to be down in Homestead?? Also any daytime runs planned for the future (maybe on the weekend??), because it is really hard/dangerous to run barefoot at night, being that you can see what you are stepping on...

-Mike

4. Queenie

1. Florida - Miami
    2. Presidents

We absolutely are Mike. We had the Full Moon runs on our calendar before we were handed the chapter duties for BRS so it has been easy for us to keep up with that as well as offer invites here. :) Homestead is home for us so yep, we are partial to being down here however, that doesn't mean that all event are going to be here. Like I said, we were doing the Full Moon events prior to BRS so we have just kept up with that.

As far as the night time running for these events, its a paved path, not a trail. We go over it prior to the runs to clear any debris ect and have greatly encouraged everyone to bring lights. It's part of the fun. Our purpose for these runs is to encourage shod runner to give the whole bare thing a try. People have been very receptive to that so far.

Future events: I appologize if you feel we aren't getting enough done with the group. However, we have a few events that we are gathering info for and we have been in communication with the Florida groups outside of our area to try to work out some larger events as well. (International Barefoot Runners Day is May 6th - don't forget) We really would like some feedback from our members. We put out a message to our entire list when we first took over and have heard back from exactly two of you with regard to what types of things you guys would like to see happening for our chapter. So we are flying blind.

Most of our running is down south so that is the area we know. We would LOVE some suggestions for places to hold daytime events if you have them. (have you run at Matheson Hammock? We have hiked some of the back areas and its always so soggy and FILLED with debris that we didn't know how people would feel about running in that.) We just spoke to a guy this past weekend about a couple of the State Parks in Broward with bike trails that we can run on. Plan to check those out in the next couple of weeks.

As always, we would love feedback and suggestions. We want to make the Miami chapter active again but we can't do it alone. :)

Have a great day -

Shelah

5. Queenie

1. Florida - Miami
    2. Presidents

[​IMG]

Tonights Full Moon Run brought a great group.

We educated. We laughed. We ran.

Next one will be Thursday March 8.

6. mtortiz77

mtortiz77 Barefooters
    1. Florida -...
    2. Florida - Miami

Hi Shelah,

First off, thanks for taking the initiative to try to spark some life into the Miami Chapter of BFS. It doens't seem like many people are or care to get involved.. I can make it down to homstead for runs, but it would need to be on the weekend, due to evening traffic.. I just recently moved back to Miami, so I would like to get involved and meet other runners, so just let me know how I can help.

As far as good places to run up here, I will have to investigate. I typically just run thru the city on the sidewalks and down US1, but I assume we would need more of a closed course if were were going to plan organized runs..

South Beach is definitely an option.. If you start at 5th and go up to around 21st, you have an nice concrete/brick paver path you can run on that's right next to the beach. (After 21st it turns into boardwalk which isn't a good surface to run on barefoot!) It is about 1.75 miles each way, so around 3.5 miles round trip...

I will try to see if I can find some other options..

-Mike

7. sramfl

sramfl Barefooters

I would have loved to have participated, but couldn't "thanks" to recent surgery. Thanks for organizing this! I look forward to future events.

8. Queenie

1. Florida - Miami
    2. Presidents

Mike -

How does a weekend morning at either Crandon or Bill Baggs State Park sound? We will have to Google map things and figure out mileage but maybe it can get more people meeting each other. Bill Baggs will probbaly be best to accomodate us. I am thinking a meet up type event with a run in the beginning, and then a picnic lunch so we can all get some time to get to know each other and maybe brain storm some ideas. The lunch thing will allow our injured and resting runners to get in on the action too. (See below) :)

Late February, early March. I still have to look at my calendar. Let me know what you think.

Have a great night -

Shelah

9. Queenie

1. Florida - Miami
    2. Presidents

Sramfl -

Thank you for jumping in here. It is so great to see new names popping up. We are working on some social events as well as some running events. See above post and let me know if you are interested in a nice chair/blanket with a picnic lunch and NO running for you. :)

Happy Day -

Shelah

10. BarefooterEd

BarefooterEd Barefooters
    1. Florida - Miami

Doing a barefoot run on the weekend would be great. I live in the Kendall area but going to Homestead from here after work is a mission of itself. Believe it or not but whenever I travel to Davie or Ft. Lauderdale, I feel that I can get there sooner than I do when I go down south. But if you all do a barefoot run at Bill Baggs Park, that is something I may be interested in.

-Barefoot Ed [​IMG]