First !

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by KevinHughes, Jun 22, 2010.

1. KevinHughes

KevinHughes Barefooters
    1. New Jersey

Hey, any NJ members on here yet??

2. harrino

harrino Barefooters
    1. New Jersey

Hi Kevin , I am Harry I am

Hi Kevin , I am Harry I am based in Hoboken NJ , where are you ? How long have you been running BF?

All the best

Harry

3. luism

luism Barefooters
    1. New York
    2. New Jersey
    3. Spain - España

Hi. Good to be able to sign

Hi. Good to be able to sign up without an invitation. I started my transition after the NYC marathon 2009. My attempt to transition while keeping my mileage failed (9 months lost). I was using VFF and got up to 18 miles back in July but with several re-starting processes. Finally, I got TOFP when I hit 40 mpw and I decided to go completely barefoot last September 1 and not to participate in the 2010 NYC Marathon. I am trying to get proper form before winter hits. I am up to 2 miles barefoot. Now I can see the mistakes I was making before and I am looking forward to increase my mileage as much as my feet allow.

I live in Bloomfield, NJ. Married with a beautiful 18 month daughter. 39 years old. English is not my first language.

See you all around.

4. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

Welcome, Luism!  What were

Welcome, Luism! What were some of the problems you noticed while running in VFFs that led to your TOFP? Please share, as they may be the same as others have experienced or possibly be even new.

5. Downtown Runner

Downtown Runner Barefooters
    1. New Jersey

Hi guys.  I'm Bob, aka

Hi guys. I'm Bob, aka Downtown Runner.

I live in Bergen County. I started running in VFFs and part time BF last year. I was training for the NJ Half Marathon in May of this year. It was going very well, I had planned to run in VFFs. But I got a stress fracture during a 5K in April.

So now I'm healed, and starting from scratch, EXCLUSIVELY BF. I wear the VFFs almost every day at work and on the weekends but I run completely unshod. I'm up to almost 4 miles three times a week. LOVING IT!

Anyway, good to have a local chapter.

6. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

Glad to have you here, DR.

Glad to have you here, DR.

7. luism

luism Barefooters
    1. New York
    2. New Jersey
    3. Spain - España

Hi again. I will be writing a

Hi again. I will be writing a short blog about my failed experience using VFF. In the meantime, I would like to meet any of the fellow barefoot runners posting here. I am having some form problems and I can't figure out was wrong. 2 miles is my limit due to some pain I can't describe in words. The videos have helped me but I need a quick workshop from someone running without problems.
    Thanks a lot
    Luis

8. JosephTree

JosephTree Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

Ola!I'm a PA chapter person,

Ola!

I'm a PA chapter person, but I guess I could sign up for both, as I really do run more in NJ. My work is in Princeton and I learned to run strictly BF on the Delaware and Raritan Canal Towpaths. I still do 10 or 15 miles a week on them, though I've expanded my routes to other trails and towns. I'd love to meet anybody who runs BF or nearly so for a run one of these days.

Hasta later-

Joseph

9. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

Please feel free to join the

Please feel free to join the NJ Chapter as well.

10. harrino

harrino Barefooters
    1. New Jersey

Hi all I want to make you all

Hi all I want to make you all aware of an excellent event coming up in the area - well Governors Island NYC to be precise

The 1st Annual NY barefoot run. It has some amazing people involved including this sites very own Last Place Jason and Barefoot Ted and also Professor Dan Lieberman . It promises to be a fantastic weekend for barefooters. Please for more info see the link below or get in touch!!

Hope tp see you there!!

http://nycbarefootrun.com/

11. Barefoot Fresca

Barefoot Fresca Barefooters
    1. New Jersey

harrino -- I wonder if I saw

harrino -- I wonder if I saw you running barefoot a few weeks ago while I was having lunch at Trinity by the Hoboken waterfront one day. I saw a barefoot runner pushing a baby-jogger stroller.

Other than that I have not seen or met any barefoot runners in the Hoboken area. I just ran the HoBooken 5K barefoot this past Saturday (Halloween weekend 2010). Out of 1100 or so runners in the race, I saw no one else barefoot there.

----------------------------------------

www.barefootfresca.blogspot.com

12. harrino

harrino Barefooters
    1. New Jersey

Hi Fresca,Actually that was

Hi Fresca,

Actually that was not me - my kids dont have the patience for a running stroller - I tried and tried they would just end up melting down when I was 2 miles from home so I had to sprint home asap to stop the madness. I do run down that way a lot bf and I am a member of a very friendly running club of all levels called the HoHa's - Hoboken Harriers please feel free to join us some time would love to run with you.

I couldnt make the Halloween 5K I was with my family as my wife was running the Marine Corps marathon that weekend

I actually think you and I spoke at the NYC barefoot weekend - you were running/walking with your two friends? I was wearing a lurid yellow T-shirt and was running with SillyC. Either way anytime you want to meet up for a lesiurely trot around The old mile square let me know

13. Barefoot Fresca

Barefoot Fresca Barefooters
    1. New Jersey

harrino,  I'm not sure you'd

harrino, I'm not sure you'd want to have me running along because I'm very slow. (I finished the HoBooken race barefoot in about 40-something minutes.)

Do you run barefoot when you are with the Hoboken Harriers?

Also, then, there is another barefoot runner out there in Hoboken somewhere for sure.

14. harrino

harrino Barefooters
    1. New Jersey

Fresca - I have heard there

Fresca - I have heard there is another bf runner in Hoboken - its a bit like seeing a unicorn - others claim to have seen him but cant tell me is name or what he looks like[​IMG]

Listen I am more than happy to run with you whenever you fancy- love a chance to talk to a fellow barefooter- Also in terms of the club - the motto no runner left behind is a creed we try to live by as we want to encourage runners of all ages, ability speed etc so whether you want to come along to one of the club runs or just fancy a little trot around Hoboken or the surrounding area - just let me know.

15. Elvisbloom

Elvisbloom Chapter Presidents
    1. New Jersey
    2. New York
    3. Presidents

Hey guys.I am Jersey City

Hey guys.

I am Jersey City runner. I run mostly in Vibrams (because of the urban nature of my routes) but I go barefoot in Liberty State Park when the weather allows (which recently is never). On some of my long runs, I go to Hoboken and back, which is always a fun run. I love extending my runs on the piers there and its always so beautiful. I love racing and usually you can find me at local area races. Last 5k I did was the HoBooken. It was fun wearing a Viking hat while running.

Hope to meet up with all of you soon (Maybe May 1st) so we can scare a bunch of shod squares.

16. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

Welcome, Elvis!

Welcome, Elvis!

17. macdiver

macdiver Barefooters
    1. New Jersey
    2. Delaware

HI Everyone, I live in

HI Everyone,

I live in Burlington county. I started barefoot running last year and worked up to 3 mile runs before it got dark and cold. I can't wait to start up running this spring. I 'm too much of a wuss to venture outside this time of year.

Anyone live in the Mt Holly Burlington area?

18. swoggis

swoggis Barefooters
    1. New Jersey

Hi, All. I've been BFR since

Hi, All. I've been BFR since March. Love it. Went through the usual adaptation pains, got up to 6-7 mile runs in August and then started getting persistent pain in my left ankle that did not abate with rest. It's not a stress fracture (verified via X-rays). Still working through this with PT, foam rolling, stretching, etc. And just cutting my mileage and frequency way back. Have been skin-to-pavement for all my runs in 2010 except for the few 5k races and my last two runs (salt on the roads) which were done in VFFs. I'm down here in Lawrenceville and just run the neighborhood roads. Hats off to the previous poster who runs the D&R trail barefoot. I tried that once and made it about 500 feet before the gravel, rocks, and gravel (did I mention the gravel?) proved too much and I hobbled back to the car for my VFFs. :) Hoping to have this ankle problem solved before the return of warmer weather; I've really enjoyed my barefoot runs.

19. Sole Runner

Sole Runner Barefooters
    1. New York
    2. New Jersey

Hi Everyone,I live in

Hi Everyone,

I live in Clifton and have been running barefoot since April. Got upto 6 miles bf and usually take my vff to put on when my feet start to hurt. Also did my first half marathon in my vff's. It was the Newport Liberty run in Jersey City and I was surprised to see others in vff's, but none barefoot. Have done smaller races like 6k's completely barefoot too. First winter trying to run bf and it has been challenging to say the least. Even with my kso's and injinji wool sock my toes were going numb. So I decided to try using feelmax and once my feet warm up I can take them off and run bf on some really cold days. Can't wait for the spring to come!!! See others that live in my area (Hoboken, Jersey City) and would be interested in meeting up for group runs. Does anyone from north jersey currently get together for runs???

20. triing

triing Barefooters
    1. Virginia
    2. New Jersey

Red Bank, Monmouth County.

Red Bank, Monmouth County. Started running in 2009 at the ripe old age of 38. Been barefoot since May 2011. Although I ran the Navesink Challenge 15K in KSOs recently (not too barefoot friendly, pot holes, broken roads and loads of debris).