First War Wound

rosiehobbit

Barefooters
Nov 8, 2015
Okahoma City, OK
I've been doing most of my running in Xeroshoes and loving it, but I've wanted to try some full barefoot so I started taking my sandals off on the indoor track I run and I love it! But that track is completely smooth and level. I occasionally trip, but it doesn't hurt. I've done a few outdoor walk/jogs on unseasonably warm days in the last month and have taken my shoes off for parts of those. A week ago, I did nearly 4 miles (my furthest distance) and took my shoes off for the last mile because I had a rubby spot on the side of one heel. I tripped several times on the same toe and it hurt some, but no bleeding. Yesterday, however, I was doing a short C25K session on a fairly smooth, paved trail, but the second time I tripped I took the skin off the tip of that toe. :( I'm assuming this is because of not lifting my feet enough, but I'm not sure how to help that. It also seems to happen more frequently when I'm changing paces.

I trip over my own feet regularly, whether I'm wearing shoes or not and regardless of what kind of surface I'm on. I trip sometimes running in the Xeroshoes, but haven't hurt anything.

I'm sorry this is such a long post, I guess to ask if I just need to work on picking my feet up more. Also, how to go about protecting that toe while it heals. And I guess I should start carrying bandaids with me.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!

Ouch! I did the same thing last year. I was running barefoot and tripped on the end of my big toe. It ripped a good nickel-sized chunk of skin off. After a few days rest, I tried wrapping it in gauze & medical tape to run, but it wore off after about a mile. It might work better with Xeroshoes on.

I am definitely more conscious of picking up my feet, and it hasn't happenned since (knock on wood).

Reactions: KTR
Yep, that is something that happens from time to time. Me too, some weeks ago, a lady on a bicycle was speaking to me, I was not keeping attention on the road, looked at her, and stubbed my big toe nicely on the uneven ground, taking a small chunk of skin right off. Not a big deal though.

As for countermeasures, I think you worked it out right there for yourself - pick the feet up, don't shuffle, lift and place, pay attention to the road, carry bandaids. I also carry one of those tiny tubes of superglue with me, wrapped in a small length of athletic tape. I find that very convenient for small wounds, sole cracks, and puncture wounds. Bandaids will not work on the sole, only athletic tape and superglue does.

I find that I usually stub my toes when I suddenly turn my head when running. I guess the head turning somehow throws off my balance, and then the next automatic cycle of foot placing goes wrong. But I am not sure about that. Maybe it is also due to unconsciously relaxing or tensing up in a wrong way. I just know it never happens if I focus on lifting my feet :) ...

1+ for sids answer.
Maybe you not runned barefoot as child, otherwise you could learned, that hitting something with toes hurts. When barefoot i landing on forefoot pads with almost horizontal feet and toes raised up. So if im hiting something, then with pads not toes. Sure, in technical trails with roots and cliffs it could be still dangerous.

+1 for BFG's suggestion. I always keep this in the back of my mind. (Not necessarily a large log, even if you imagine stepping over a series of straws it will have a similar effect.)

First the upside, this injury is quick to diagnose and the medical solution is a known, tried and true method. Try getting that from Plantar Fasciitis or IT Band Syndrome.

Being a Poser (follower of Pose Running technique), I believe there is value to the lifting of the feet from that ground as a conscious action (called the "pull"). My own BFR experience showed that if I did not consider the pull, my forefoot landing became more of a shuffle. This occurs more if you are shod even with minimalist shoes. I would slide into my step, like a bowler slides to the foul line, but not as pronounced. By focusing on pulling the foot I saw a few things happen:

1. I stopped tripping so much.
  2. My landing became a natually short cadence forefoot strike. This was a big deal as I trying to maintain the right cadence and strike with minimalist shoes and found it difficult. I found focusing on the pull fixes that over time.
  3. It was able to increase my distance without worry of joint pain or injury.

When I first tried this, I felt like I was trying to kick my own butt, but as I continue, the pull becomes less awkward, less exaggerated and more efficient.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigwilly
check your foot extensors for trigger points, all the muscles on your shin. if you don't find them get some professional help. tripping, especially on flat surfaces is a sign something is wrong. we can rarely fix ourselves so don't be afraid to go get some help.

Reactions: rb2001
I think BF Ken Bob mentioned something in his book about this and suggested that consciously holding your hands a little higher might change how your feet clear the ground.

I've stubbed my toe so solidly that I ended up in a face plant. It's a good habit to break.

Migangelo is a genius on these things, so attend well to his suggestions!

awe JT, you're making me blush. i'm by far a genius but am curious about these things and seek out the answers even if they go against popular thoughts. like running bf is good for you. :nailbiting:

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7