First time kicked out today

4xharley

Barefooters
Feb 6, 2012
Athol, MA
Today I was asked to leave my local farm's country store. The reason I was given is "because we sell ice cream and health codes and stuff". I assured them there were no health codes involving barefootedness(is that a word?), but if that was their policy I would leave. I got a blank stare and a nod so I left. Were they afraid I would put my disease-ridden bare feet in their ice cream? Shoes in the ice cream I could deal with, but bare feet... gross!

Wow, weird... Why can't people just state the truth, instead they try to bs us and lie. I would be much happier if people would just say, I(we) think your feet are nasty and we are afraid of you getting hurt in our store, or our other patrons are grossed out by it. I really really hate all the deceit in the world today.

You could have said, "Well, that's just a shame then, because I had planned on spending a ton of money here now and in the future." Small businesses should know better than to make a rash decision like that without a lot of forethought. You could appeal to their sensibilities. You could ask them if they think the bottoms of the shoes people wear into their establishment are any cleaner than the bottoms of your feet. Let them know at least you wash your feet. How often do people wash their shoes?

I have noticed that my feet get dirtier from inside floors of public places like stores, or pubs where I dance, than from outdoors. I thought it was fun one time when I was dancing barefoot, the DJ/floor manager/bouncer type was obviously waiting for the song to be done before he bothered me! :)

I feel like I'm wasting my time debating with the poor girl left in charge of the store. I went to school with the owner and her family had been farming in town for as long as I can remember. I'm thinking of writing to her to ask if that really is her store policy and why. I'm just dumb-founded by the perception some people have of the cleanliness of a foot. I think it boils down to people fear what they see as weird. I also thought a farm store would be the last place I had a problem. I joked with my wife about how there was no sign, so I must be fine in there. No such luck.

I have noticed that my feet get dirtier from inside floors of public places like stores, or pubs where I dance, than from outdoors.

I've made that observation too! After my 5 mile run to work my soles will be a mid-grey - after walking a couple of hundred yards unlocking the store my soles will be black. I put my huaraches on these days before I enter the place!

Reactions: happysongbird
I think its funny, I walk and run around outside barefoot with no issue, but as soon as I go into a store or whatever I put my shoes on, I think I am concerned about getting my feet dirty, ;) . I think the only place I don't put shoes on before I go in is my local running store, and they think it is hilarious when I am wearing shoes.

I think a lot of times, besides the fear of the different or the fact that barefootedness signals nonconformity, people site health reasons because their own feet smell bad when they take off their shoes and may have fungus. They look at their nasty bare feet and don't realize that they got that way by enclosing them in socks and shoes all day. They think it's inherent to feet. I read somewhere that feet sweat one or two cups of water a day, so it's easy to see why enclosing them all day would have nasty consequences, same as wearing a glove all day. So don't get too mad, it could just be ignorance.