First Post

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Martyn, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Martyn

Martyn Barefooters
    1. New York
    2. United Kingdom
    3. International

Welcome everyone, to the United Kingdom Chapter of Barefoot Running.

I have been running on and off since 1990 when I was trying to get in to Nottinghamshire Fire Service. Since then I have done several Tough Guy events and a couple of the Helly Hanson series of adventure races. Although I have ran a half marathon distance, I have never done an official half marathon race and this was back when i was wearing shoes.

I have been doing the barefoot thing since the spring this year. I started out at half a mile, waited for my calfs to stop hurting (a good few days)and then did a mile the next time. It has taken about 12 outings to get to the point where I can now do 5 miles. Calfs still hurt after.

I do feel lighter on my feet with not slamming my heel in to the floor. Padding along on the balls of my feet, not making a sound.

Suffered my first cut on Monday. A little nick at the base of my little toe. Got home and washed it out, sealed it up with a drop of super glue and went back to work.

On a slightly different note. I am in touch with Michael Sandler author of "Barefoot Running". I am trying to get him to come over to the UK to do some workshops and book signing. If you have any ideas on how I might achieve this please let me know. I will also be looking to organise runs, meet-ups and other stuff. Please get back to me with a bit about yourself and your location in the UK.

Thanks

Martyn