First outdoor barefoot run...

Hey folks,
I know it's been some time since I posted here, but I've been trying to get this barefoot running thing nailed and many of my questions/concerns were addressed just by my reading the forum and not having to post anything. In any case, up until a month ago, all of my BF running had been done on a treadmill. I live in the inner city, so running barefoot around here is an invitation to glass, nails, etc. being driven through my foot. Then one day my wife decided we should take out little one to a nature center called Beaver Lake. It consists of many different trails through the woods and is quite an intro to nature for anyone used to city life.

While walking the trail with them I kept having this nagging feeling to run. The ground was soft and glass/nail free. But I was not quite ready to run outdoors barefoot. So I decided the next week to go for a run wearing these souped-up pair of Asics I bought at Fleet Feet some time ago. I got about a mile into it when I noticed my back starting to ache, my feet heating waay up and frequent walk breaks. It was then I said "screw it" and took those things off, tucked my socks inside of them and took off barefoot on a trail in the woods.

Immediately, my back went "huh?!" and stopped hurting. The softness of the ground along with the different textures like mulch, gravel, and whatever else you find in the woods kept things interesting. I ran 3 miles through a trail called the Lake Loop and the scenery along with that feeling of (pardon the hippy break here) running natural in a natural setting was intense. I haven't run on any sidewalks or roads nor do I wish to. This past Saturday was my third time and will certainly not be my last. The pain I went through when first running barefoot almost a year ago was well worth it today. Thanks to you folks for helping through all your questions I've read. Now I only have one question of my own...

Any tips on how to deal with dirt ground that has been baking in the sun? I ran through one trail called 3 Meadows and dear god almighty was a portion of it hot! I made it through, but barely!

Love stories like these! Toss those Fleet Feet shoes in the trash before they damage you. I would say run earlier or later in the day when the ground isn't so hot. Congrats on your first "outdoors" barefoot run. Don't you just feel "reborn again" somehow? :barefoot:

I don't use them, but several people here swear by huaraches of one variety or another as a good back up to BF. You can carry them easily in a pouch or pocket, and put them on if you feel the need. I run in VFF Bikilas and carry them in my hands when I know I'm going into rough ground - rocky trails andsuch. You will also find your tolerance for sub optimal surfaces goes way up in time.

Overall, good on ya!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test