First out of state race

I honestly can't remember. I ran the Omaha Half Marathon in either 2009 or 2010, and I had started running barefoot late 2008.

I thought at first this was a race to a peak, so was very intrigued and decided to check it out, but I see that it is a race on Peaks Island, if I have the right race. What made you decide to travel to this race? It also has a great feast afterwards of Lobster, steak, chicken, or vegetarian. What did you pick?

Reactions: mandytheartist
Back from Maine. Was a great race, though the paving WAS wonky, though not too bad. Just broke 28:00. Had nice lunch to celebrate.
Thanks for reporting back. What a great time. Did you run the whole race barefoot? Carry back up shoes? I've yet to run a race barefoot, so looking to see how others handle a race and situations that arose.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

How long depends when you define your start - hard to say in my case since I ran all the way back in high school but then not in my 20's. I ran a handfull of races when I started back up around age 30, but I consider my barefoot transition a few years later to be when I really became serious about running, which was 2011 about the time I signed up here.

I've always been a 'local' runner, never really wanted to go through the fuss of traveling to a destination race until I was fairly proficient at a big race such as a marathon. But I still don't consider myself to be. But last year I did run my first out of state race -the 1812 Challenge in northern NY, mainly because that is where I grew up and I was visiting home. I typically visit a couple times in the summer, so just centered one of my trips at the time of the race. So I guess about 4 years after I got serious about running?

Someday I'll travel to a wonderfully scenic race, but for now I enjoy my scenery on hiking trips and other vacations.

Hope your race went well Mandy.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmeiners11