First out of state race

Discussion in 'Races & Events' started by mandytheartist, Jul 26, 2016.

1. mandytheartist

mandytheartist Barefooters
    1. Massachusetts

How long had you been running before your 1st out of state race? Not counting my college meets, this weekend marks my 1st one. I'll be in Maine this weekend running the Peaks 5-Mile Race.

Tristan and happysongbird like this.
  2. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

I honestly can't remember. I ran the Omaha Half Marathon in either 2009 or 2010, and I had started running barefoot late 2008.

happysongbird and mandytheartist like this.
  3. hikerdana

hikerdana Barefooters
    1. New Hampshire

I thought at first this was a race to a peak, so was very intrigued and decided to check it out, but I see that it is a race on Peaks Island, if I have the right race. What made you decide to travel to this race? It also has a great feast afterwards of Lobster, steak, chicken, or vegetarian. What did you pick?

mandytheartist likes this.
  4. mandytheartist

1. Massachusetts

I picked it just for a new race. :). Going with the lobster. (Without the butter). Take it you've run it before?

dutchie53 likes this.
  5. hikerdana

hikerdana Barefooters
    1. New Hampshire

No, I had to Google it. Then noticed the options for the food options. My biggest race so far has been a 5K.

Good luck and enjoy your lobster.

#5 hikerdana, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    dutchie53 and mandytheartist like this.
  6. mandytheartist

1. Massachusetts

Back from Maine. Was a great race, though the paving WAS wonky, though not too bad. Just broke 28:00. Had nice lunch to celebrate.

7. hikerdana

hikerdana Barefooters
    1. New Hampshire

Thanks for reporting back. What a great time. Did you run the whole race barefoot? Carry back up shoes? I've yet to run a race barefoot, so looking to see how others handle a race and situations that arose.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

8. mandytheartist

1. Massachusetts

Did it bare, no backup shoes. Been full time barefoot runner for 8 years, so my feet are toughened up.

9. happysongbird

happysongbird Chapter Presidents
    1. Idaho

I have yet to run an out of area race. I've looked for races where I am traveling for vacation, but never hit anything right. Have not been interested enough to plan a trip just for a race.

10. Tyler J L

Tyler J L Barefooters
    1. Iowa

Way to go Mandy!

mandytheartist likes this.
  11. Tristan

Tristan Barefooters
    1. Ohio

How long depends when you define your start - hard to say in my case since I ran all the way back in high school but then not in my 20's. I ran a handfull of races when I started back up around age 30, but I consider my barefoot transition a few years later to be when I really became serious about running, which was 2011 about the time I signed up here.

I've always been a 'local' runner, never really wanted to go through the fuss of traveling to a destination race until I was fairly proficient at a big race such as a marathon. But I still don't consider myself to be. But last year I did run my first out of state race -the 1812 Challenge in northern NY, mainly because that is where I grew up and I was visiting home. I typically visit a couple times in the summer, so just centered one of my trips at the time of the race. So I guess about 4 years after I got serious about running?

Someday I'll travel to a wonderfully scenic race, but for now I enjoy my scenery on hiking trips and other vacations.

Hope your race went well Mandy.