first marathon need help!

Lorena

Barefooters
Nov 24, 2016
About 6 months ago started my transition to barefoot. So far no issues with my calves anymore and I'm able to run up to 6 miles barefeet. The problem is that I have already signed up for the Chevron marathon and after a minor ankle swollen tendons I'm back on my training and then I have noticed that when I'm doing long runs I start barefeet and I feel great as soon as I switched to my merrels I noticed I'm getting tired and my toes struggle and it's hard to keep going
I'm not ready to run 26.2 miles without shoes I suppose. What can I do? I'm not sure if I will even be able to complete the marathon or I should do it partially barefeet and the rest on my xero sandals. As a last attempt I'll try five fingers v run. I'm frustrated! I will fully appreciate any advice. Thank you

Reactions: Tyler J L
About 6 months ago started my transition to barefoot. So far no issues with my calves anymore and I'm able to run up to 6 miles barefeet. The problem is that I have already signed up for the Chevron marathon and after a minor ankle swollen tendons I'm back on my training and then I have noticed that when I'm doing long runs I start barefeet and I feel great as soon as I switched to my merrels I noticed I'm getting tired and my toes struggle and it's hard to keep going
I'm not ready to run 26.2 miles without shoes I suppose. What can I do? I'm not sure if I will even be able to complete the marathon or I should do it partially barefeet and the rest on my xero sandals. As a last attempt I'll try five fingers v run. I'm frustrated! I will fully appreciate any advice. Thank you
Maybe try seeing a doctor about this. You can always walk during some part of the marathon barefoot if you have to. That's what I do anyways.

Reactions: Lorena
This? http://www.chevronhoustonmarathon.com/
Thats only a few weeks away. If you're up to only 6 miles barefoot I wouldn't suggest it myself. One thing so many have done is try to switch to barefoot but continue racing. It's not uncommon to see folks here that have already committed to races and are still transitioning. Seems sometimes this works out if someone already had a mostly barefoot lifestyle before and adapts quickly, but most of the time it's better advice to not plan on doing any serious races for your first year of barefooting. Have you done marathons before? Is your weekly mileage good enough even though you're only doing 6 miles barefoot? Doing your long runs just doing a barefoot/Merrel combo or something else? How long have your long runs been, have you done anything close to a marathon with this barefoot/merrel combo? Merrels bothered my feet but I only tried two of them and they both were the trail versions with the stiff forefoots. They were a bit to formed and built up for my likes, I prefer something a bit more minimal, but I doubt I could run a marathon in any shoes I am too used to barefoot now!

Just a kind reminder... This is the Ask the Docs forum, although we do appreciate your advice, all.

Thank you so much for your reply. No, I never had done a Marathon before and yes is the Chevron. My longest run was 13 miles part barefoot part Merrell pace 3 and part xero sandals. My mileage a week has been around 40 miles. Unfortunately you might be right, I started this transition in May and so far I have had inflamed tendons on the left foot and just yesterday my right foot as well. The metatarsal this time so I'm icing and of course no running! I have tried so many different shoes that may help me through the marathon and nothing is helping, even the five fingers. I think I'm doomed. Well, one thing is certain, never felt this good running as running barefoot which as I have seen and heard people confuse going minimalistic with barefoot. No shoe compare with the feeling of the ground under my soles. I've been doing more pavement and concrete and trails with my sandals and merrel gloves but these makes my right toe feel some pain so I always ended getting rid of them. Well, it seems it's time to face that I won't make it this time or perhaps just the half. I must be realistic. Ugh!

This? http://www.chevronhoustonmarathon.com/
Thats only a few weeks away. If you're up to only 6 miles barefoot I wouldn't suggest it myself. One thing so many have done is try to switch to barefoot but continue racing. It's not uncommon to see folks here that have already committed to races and are still transitioning. Seems sometimes this works out if someone already had a mostly barefoot lifestyle before and adapts quickly, but most of the time it's better advice to not plan on doing any serious races for your first year of barefooting. Have you done marathons before? Is your weekly mileage good enough even though you're only doing 6 miles barefoot? Doing your long runs just doing a barefoot/Merrel combo or something else? How long have your long runs been, have you done anything close to a marathon with this barefoot/merrel combo? Merrels bothered my feet but I only tried two of them and they both were the trail versions with the stiff forefoots. They were a bit to formed and built up for my likes, I prefer something a bit more minimal, but I doubt I could run a marathon in any shoes I am too used to barefoot now!

I must have add something, other than pain on metatarsal and the ankle ( front and out side ) I have no bruises at all and practically there's no inflammation. This happens yesterday so as soon as I felt the pain I stopped immediately and went back walking with pain of course. This morning is a little less painful so I'm hoping is not a stress fracture. I'll see my PT on Tuesday. In the meantime just trying to be patient. What else?

@Barefoot TJ yeah I normally don't even look in here too much, leave these threads for those with medical background, but the original post didn't seem about medical advice more just about barefoot training in general and being ready to run a marathon, I was going to even suggest she might have put in the wrong section and get more advice if she posted in general section, but I didn't - well now I did :oops:.

I'll leave discussion on injuries and pain to those more qualified but just from a general perspective I don't think I'd be attempting a marathon if your longest run is only 13 miles - especially trying to do it partly barefoot. Many times folks say if you can run 18 you can run a marathon, and many training plans only go to 18. But I'm not sure if it's very common to jump from 13 to 26 that might be too big of a jump IMO. You got a good weekly mileage base in though, but you're also having pains and other issues. Also I tend to think barefooters might need to train a little closer to goal distance than shod runners, since we also have to acclimate our soles to the abrasive forces and not just our endurance.

I ditched the shoes cold turkey and started over from 0. It's good for acclimation and learning form I think, just to focus on one method and listen to your body. But it does require you to be patient and put goals on hold for a while. You will build strength and toughness in the feet, it just may take a little longer than you'd like. I know runners are eager to go out and show the world they can race barefoot :D but if you want to insure the best possible health of your feet not only now but for the future, it shouldn't be rushed. After I got good at barefoot running, all shoes (including sandals) I tried bothered my feet. I hope you're not in the same situation as I was where I just couldn't run comfortably in any shoes anymore, but there are many of us who have had problems mixing barefoot and shoes (even minimal shoes/sandals). It seems to have taken me a few years now but I might finally be tolerating shoes better this winter, I have a few runs in them without pain so good so far.

All what you said makes a lot of sense. And yes! Unfortunately I am having the same problem as you. Right now I can't tolerate any shoe, even my sandals are not as comfortable as before. I thought something wrong was going on with my feet but after reading you I feel so much better now. Seems part of how our feet developed while getting stronger which makes me think I did the best thing for my own health despite my plans for the marathon. I so appreciate your opinion. Thank you :)

@Barefoot TJ yeah I normally don't even look in here too much, leave these threads for those with medical background, but the original post didn't seem about medical advice more just about barefoot training in general and being ready to run a marathon, I was going to even suggest she might have put in the wrong section and get more advice if she posted in general section, but I didn't - well now I did :oops:.
I know. I got the same feeling but also felt that maybe a doc could help.

Agreed. I'm already going to a sports medicine doctor. My right foot is in pain so I was worried about it could be a stress fracture. Is not but no running until pain is totally gone. My full marathon will have to wait but I know I will be able to make it. It doesn't matter how long it will take me and all the effort and training I'll keep doing it. At the end will worth it. Most people can't understand the feeling, others even make fun of me. I don't care. I won't stop or go backwards ( or to cushion lol! ) :)

Agreed. I'm already going to a sports medicine doctor. My right foot is in pain so I was worried about it could be a stress fracture. Is not but no running until pain is totally gone. My full marathon will have to wait but I know I will be able to make it. It doesn't matter how long it will take me and all the effort and training I'll keep doing it. At the end will worth it. Most people can't understand the feeling, others even make fun of me. I don't care. I won't stop or go backwards ( or to cushion lol! ) :)
I'm sorry some people make fun of you. I'd stand up for you any time.

I so appreciate your comment, but you know, those who think out of the box are always judge or critized. We can't convince them that our bodies are perfect machinery and our feet are strong as hell! Some may call us crazy and others weird. If they could just stop for an instant and open their minds they would realize that running barefoot makes sense and what really happened was that we were misleaded by years and years of advertisement selling us the idea that the most cushion the better. Honestly, I don't pay attention to others opinions specially when they have never even try it. Makes me laugh actually. I guess more than one of us has heard negative words about all this. But every one of us is learning now that yes! Is not a new movement or the wild idea of a book writer. Is a fact. We born to run! Thank you again for your support :)