First Group Run! April 14th 10:00 a.m. at Frank Brown Park, Panama City Beach

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by curraheeeasyc, Mar 30, 2012.

1. curraheeeasyc

curraheeeasyc
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Florida -...
    2. Presidents
    3. Florida -...

I think I'll end up doing a couple of different ones, different angles, etc. I'm going to go put this one up at starbucks, etc. around town. It would be great if you could do the same!

2. Gidds

Gidds
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Florida -...

Sure I can see about putting them at the two Starbucks right near me and maybe somewhere on the two campuses where I work.

My perspective is that we don't want people to think that we are a bunch of cool-aid drinkers or haters. There are a lot of activities that I have looked into, because I thought they sounded interesting (I won't name any names) but decided against because of the cool-aid drinker vibe. It's not like we're going door-to-door passing out copies of Born to Run or lobbying to get laws passed to mandate the wearing of huaraches and ban the wearing of marshmallow shoes :p We don't want to be "those guys".

Then of course there is no point at getting into a peeing match with running shoe supporters.They'll either try it or they won't. No sense in arguing with them. Passing them in a race is going to do more to change their minds.

Also I do not consider myself a runner. I am never going to run a marathon. Running is something I strive to do, sometimes, to meet fitness goals in my interest in being an active person. I got interested in barefoot running because I thought toe shoes were neat. I never had any intention of running in my VFFs because I'd been told all my life that running was not for me, I just thought they were fun shoes. Then I heard that "crazy people" did run in them. I didn't try running in them until I got caught in a thunderstorm. I ran. I ran farther than I thought I could and it didn't hurt. Then I started reading stuff and I eventually got here by googling "barefoot running florida panhandle" and I found your post over on "that other place" and a post you did here and here I am.

I figure if I can run barefoot just about anybody can. Maybe barefoot running isn't for everybody but it's something most people can do if they choose. Which leads me to the whole "run smiley" and ambassador thing; I totally agree that any activity you are promoting should be done in a positive manner. However, I am a grouch, my barefooting time is a very personal "me time", and I really really don't like it when people talk to me when I am obviously out of breath! In fact I think "don't talk to strangers" is good advice for people of all ages and I really just want to be left alone! </rant>

This is why you are chapter president :p

Anyway though, I figure barefooting is a really personal choice so judgey and preachiness should be minimized when at all possible. If people want to try it should be because they think it is a good and fun choice for them personally, not because running shoe corporations are evil and their greed is leading to the downfall of human society.

I figure the whole point of barefooting is supposed to be light, breezy, natural, and fun :)

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. curraheeeasyc

curraheeeasyc
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Florida -...
    2. Presidents
    3. Florida -...

I agree and I'm glad you pointed me in the right direction in terms of the message we wanted to get across in the flyer. I think the new flyer is much more fun and energetic rather than "attacking" or hostile in any way. I'm not necessarily trying to convert traditional runners, but I do think that people who've seen barefoot or minimalist running are interested, so I think letting them know about our chapter may give them a way to satisfy their curiosity. I also think that there are already bf or minimalist runners out there who don't realize we exist, and I'd like to advertise our existence to them.

In no way do I intend for our chapter to be a marathoners group or anything of that nature. I want us to be a group of people with a common interest who share their thoughts, experiences, and time with each other in a friendly and supportive atmosphere!

4. curraheeeasyc

curraheeeasyc
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Florida -...
    2. Presidents
    3. Florida -...

Oh, and here's the first flyer posted!

[​IMG]

5. curraheeeasyc

curraheeeasyc
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Florida -...
    2. Presidents
    3. Florida -...

I will be out of town until Thursday, but we are still on for the group run. Hope to see some of you there!