First debilitating injury - one calf strain

Tim Hammond

Barefooters
Apr 24, 2022
I have been running barefoot since about 2005 (and well before that as a child). I gave up running beyond 10 miles years ago just because it isn't of interest to me. I was a regular on the Yahoo group back in the day. However, just in the last year I have had a nagging strain in my calf. I am now running 6 or less miles. And often at just 2 miles one of my calves will get tight. I do warm up exercises before every run. I am not trying to run fast (7-10 min/mi depending on conditions). I run on a mix of hard (sidewalks and streets) and soft (trails) surfaces. I love running barefoot! And want to be able to run at a minimum a few miles. I'm starting to wonder if switching to shoes will allow me to avoid this pain/injury. At times I have taken days to weeks off out of convenience. It seems to go away to only creep back. If you have any insight you would be up for sharing I would appreciate it. I suppose getting therapy would be good?

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
I forwarded your thread to Dr. Mark Cucuzzella. He should respond soon.

Tim hard to assess the issue over the web. calf mobility is a big issue. can you get into a squat? ae you symmetric? foot strength? you really need someone to assess you either a good sports doc or PT

Tim hard to assess the issue over the web. calf mobility is a big issue. can you get into a squat? ae you symmetric? foot strength? you really need someone to assess you either a good sports doc or PT
Thanks! I can squat quite easily once the pain goes away. I can squat when there is pain. After 5 days off I was able to run 2 miles at bout 9 min/mi with no problems at all. But there is a possibility in the next few weeks it will come back.

I couldn't say if I am symmetric. Entirely possible I am not, I suppose. I feel like me feet are plenty strong but again weaknesses can be masked by overcompensation as we know.

If it comes back I suppose I will head to a PT.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test