First couple hundred Yards; on Vid!

Good for you, Mike, on both the obvious body transformation as well as giving barefoot running a try. That was quite a distance for your first run. Hang out here and soak up the collective wisdom (and occasional wisecracks) from this crew and before you know it, you might find yourself going much, much further if the spirit so moves you!

Love it!

You have the potential to become an inspiration for a lot of people, Mike.... I hope you'll stick with this venture and document your progress.

Regarding running out of breath, inexperienced runners almost always run too fast. Go really, really slow. As slow as you possibly can, in fact, but with quick, short steps. See if you feel better and more relaxed.

Welcome, Mike! Glad to have you with us. Yes, please do document your runs and share your progress.

Reactions: Mike Heywood
Good on you!

I appreciate your tendency to document stuff, but please understand, you don't have to carry a camera every time you run!

Little by little will serve you well. Your lungs/respiratory system have a long way to develop and your musculature and bone structure, too.

The good thing is that there's absolutely no downside to taking your own sweet time, and a major downside to rushing. If the novelty passes and you still are inclined to carry on, one thought that keeps me running is that you can run in good health much longer than most sports allow. I have a fella in my neighborhood who's going strong and running trail races at 84. He looks kind of like a scare crow and often scares children and delicate sorts of women when he runs without a shirt, but, by God, I want to be running like that in my mid-80's!

The key, as I read things, is to run smart and gently, and to take joy with each step as best as you can manage it. That's where Bare Foot Running, aka BFR, can be vastly superior to conventional style. Skin to the ground running fosters a sense of connectedness and presence, that is very hard to find in other sorts of physical activity, or in much else these days.

Welcome, friend, and good luck.

(...and the gaming stuff you were talking about may as well have been Martian to me, but you go ahead and have fun!)

A day of rest yesterday, and today I just finished my second try at barefoot running. This time I tried incorporating a lot of the advice I received here and elsewhere. I ran for about a house or two, then walked a bit and then ran and so forth, covering a loop of 590 yards, or about 1/3 of a mile This would be a bit more than Saturday's run of 260 yards and walking back about the same. I'm using Google Earth for the measurements.
I tried to shorten my strides and land my feet in the middle, but found myself reverting to longer strides and landing on the balls of my feet, even though it was rather less comfortable. I did not, however, feel the ankle pain I did on Saturday just before I stopped at the mailbox, so woo hoo there. No video about it this time.

Hi Mike!

I think it's just great that you're giving this stuff a try. Kudos to you :D

I tried to shorten my strides and land my feet in the middle, but found myself reverting to longer strides and landing on the balls of my feet, even though it was rather less comfortable. .

Muscle memory. It gets embedded and it just takes a while to modify. Don't worry too much about stuff like that at this stage. Laugh and smile a lot and be proud of yourself!

Way to go Mike! it's perfectly normal to run out of breath when starting a physical activity...keep it up.
One thing I notice is, what's up with all those white cars in the neighborhood? looks like almost everybody owns a white car. Is that normal? ;)
Welcome!

I'm just going to keep this thread going with my adventures rather than making a new thread for each effort.
I ran and walked about 2/3 miles in shoes yesterday, and then did about 300 yd all barefoot today. I also shot another video with some from a year and a half cut in for contrast.

It's a lot colder when it is wet out!
Wow, that transformation is amazing! Keep it up Mike! To me that is truly inspirational to see the change you have made.

Reactions: Mike Heywood
Amazing, seriously. Mike, like I said before, you could really become a major success story and an inspiration to many people.

Could you please clarify the 2/3 that you wrote? What does that mean exactly?

'two or three miles' vs 'two thirds of a mile'...

It was good to see your feet up close. They look great, except the arches are missing. That's the area to keep an eye on as time goes by.

Speaking of time, please be sure to allow plenty of it. Most of us fall into the 'tmts' trap at some point but be smart and learn from our mistakes, k?

The short time since your first video, it's like a blink of an eye compared to all the years you've got a head of yourself. No rush...

Wow! You look amazing! I hope that this BFR fits in well with your new lifestyle and goals. If you keep on with the running like you have with your internal remodeling, you'll be getting request for seminars and inspirational talks around the world. Heck, I'll even follow your progress just to see where you go with it.
I repeat - good on ya!

The hardest part of any new thing is to keep it going when the new wears off.
I have managed at least a couple hundred yards every day or two, but it is a while yet till it stops being hard and gets to be easier.
Anyway I shot another few minutes of video, but only a bit of it is about the running. I got all the way down to the mailbox, but I had forgotten the key, so I ran and walked back. It seems really cold for barefootin, so that is all I did today.
I used to just shave my head every winter.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test