First attempt at complete DiY Huarches

Barefootpuffin

Barefooters
Aug 22, 2011
Just posted a quick shot of my first attempt at a pair of Huarches. Check em out, let me know what you guys think. http://wp.me/p1Bi7O-3A Thanks,Aaron

Thanks. I got the rubber from

Thanks. I got the rubber from Atwoods, a farm/hardware supply store. It's basically just 6mm thick horse stall matting. A bit harder/dense than the vibram rubber, but basically as flexible. All of my other huarches are of the 4mm varieties and I wanted something a bit thicker for trails.

The suede is just cheap suede fabric (didn't wnat to buy actual suede until I have the process correct) from Jo-ann fabrics. While not ACTUAL suede, it provides a very welcoming feel under foot. This is actually my 2nd attempt at making a pair, the first pair ended abysmally. Poor adhesive choice, and a poor decision to cut the material then try and glue them together.

This time around, I laid out the suede on to the uncut rubber, glued them together with a good amount of aerosol adhesive (bought at lowes) and let the materials dry for 30 minutes. Then, I flipped the material over and traced my left and right feet and cut them out. Flipped them back over, marked the holes, and punched them (note punched, then drilled) out and laced.

Lace is 5/8in braided neoprene cord. It's a thicker variety than what is used by invisible shoes, but I feel it provides me a little more comfort on the top of my foot, and the knot isn't too much thicker underfoot. I took them for a rest walk around the block to test lacing and flexibility and they preformed much how I expected. A bit stiffer than my 4mm sandals, but much more comfortable to walk on, and the added 2mm doesn't make them feel very heavy. These will probably be going to Vegas with me in a few weeks as my leisure/walking shoes during the day.

I'll be posting a much more detailed review/building process on my blog sometime this weekend I believe. So, if you are interested stay tuned for that.

Thanks,

Puff

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test