First 5k

Silver Fang

Barefooters
Oct 5, 2010
Hi all, this is my first post here, and I'd just like to thank you all for your input on this site (and that other one). It was the final step in a strange and long meandering path in pushing me to running barefoot, and I have truly come to love it.

Anyway, as to why I've finally decided to start a topic, I have my first 5k tomorrow! I'd like to think the people on here also helped me to start it all from scratch without any injuries in sight...except for non running related injuries, but moving on. I am dead set on running this race, and have done the three mile distance before but when the sun rises once more, there will be a problem I've only sparsely encountered before; cold cold rain.

It would really help me if you guys could offer some good advice for running in weather one isn't accustomed to, be it heat, snow, or rain. With the winter season coming upon us it would seem valuable for everyone to know how to get down with the forecast.

P.S. Thought this would be a good way to introduce myself at the same time, figure I've been lurking for too long! =P

Welcome and best of luck,

Welcome and best of luck, Silver Fang! No real advice to offer, other than keeping your feet warm prior to the start of the race so you don't lose any feeling. I've never raced, but keeping socks and some sort of footwear on until the beginning of the race is probably a good idea.

It takes a while for my feet

It takes a while for my feet to warm up. Maybe that means you should run a mile or so before the thing even begins?

Blasted rain!  Why does it

Blasted rain! Why does it always have to come on a fella's first barefoot 5K! Or so it seems. If you can stay under a car's heater just before the start, that would help. Carry some water shoes in case you just can't stand it anymore, and put them on if you have to. All bad experiences teach us how and when to move forward. There is no shame in defeat. You are a runner first, after all. Finish the 5K.

Good luck and welcome. Now, no more lurking! Hee.

WAIVER:  The BRS, in no way,

WAIVER: The BRS, in no way, will be held liable for the choices made by its members to drink before, during, or after an event. The BRS, in no way, will be held liable for the advice given by some members to other members, especially as it relates to "drinking."

I release all obligation of the Barefoot Runners Society from my choice to drink before, during, or after an event.

Sign here: X____________________________

I probably shouldn't say

I probably shouldn't say this, but oh well.

Run faster, you'll create more heat through the race and you will be knocking back beers at the tent before your feet remember to get cold.

This is coming from someone who lives in AZ the land of heat, sunshine and no rain...

I meant Odul's.Oh and by the

I meant Odul's.

Oh and by the way one of the requirements for citizenship to the peoples republic of Colorado is you have to drink beer. One of the things that come with thicker blood from the altitude, is an unquechable thirst of the awesome microbreweries that are littered all across the state.

I haven't run completely

I haven't run completely barefoot in the rain yet myself. Its been a dry summer and fall in Kentucky and the weather is still relatively warm. The last time that it was wet out and I wanted to run, I wore Vibrams, out of worry that I would otherwise risk blisters. However, I heard today that we might have a wet winter. I am also looking forward to running my first BF 5k race soon, next Friday. Good luck!

If its wet around 60 deg you

If its wet around 60 deg you should be fine. If you feel like needles sticking on your feet(cold), run faster. I agree have a backup plan esp. if you don't have exprience running in wet or cold weather. Bring water shoes VFF and stick them in the back of your shorts, or carry them.

Good luck, James.  Let us

Good luck, James. Let us know how your barefoot 5K goes.

Hey guys, thanks for all the

Hey guys, thanks for all the information and encouragement, but...

It was alot of worrying for nothing! it was a perfectly great day for a run, even if it was a bit on the chilly side. My homemade costume held up pretty good and even won me a prize! Maybe I'll write up a race report or something (Pictures??).

In a nutshell, it was a great experience.

And good luck on your first 5k James, I hope you have as much of a blast as I did, and hopefully no comments more snide then a "are your feel cold?" (I'm coming to find Colorado is pretty chill about what is on your feet.)

Cheers everyone.

Race reports with photos can

Race reports with photos can be shared under the Races Forum or sent to me at [email protected] if you would like it to grace the pages of our news show.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test