Finding coverts in SC, rural MN

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by trevize1138, Jun 23, 2017.

1. trevize1138

trevize1138
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

Morning, fellow natural runners!

I've started a casual running club in the small town of Wells and so far only two others have come out with me. I'm continuing to reach out to all the runners I know in town to get them to join.

The first meeting of the club was this past Sunday and my friend John was the only one to show (my friend Brian came out with me last night). He's an organic farmer north of town who goes barefoot all summer when farming. Still, first thing he said when he came up to me wearing a pair of hikers was "I suppose I should get running shoes."

I was actually wearing a pair of Luna Monos just because I didn't want to scare people off seeing me completely unshod. But after just a few minutes talking to him about why I went barefoot when it came time to run he kicked off the hikers, pulled off the socks and said "OK, how far you want to go?"

Later this week he told me "I'm sold" on the idea of barefoot running. Woot!

Just wanted to share this weeks' accomplishment that was beyond what I had hoped. I just wanted to start a running club as a social activity but ended up infecting someone else with the barefoot running bug.

Barefoot TJ and Bare Lee like this.
  2. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

I know exactly what you mean!

Welcome to the BRS! :barefoot:

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. TD Moose

TD Moose
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

Welcome to the group. I hope you are able to keep to it. My main advice, which, I'm sure you heard a lot, is to take it slow. There is always another day.

If you do happen to sign up for any races in the Twin Cities area, it would be great to meet. At this point, the only one I have planned for the rest of the year is the Monster Dash in Saint Paul in late October. I plan to do the 1/2 marathon.

trevize1138 and Barefoot TJ like this.
  4. trevize1138

trevize1138
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

Two more members showed up last night along with their 4 kids!

My current most dedicated member (the one I "infected" in my original post up top) and I took the husband out for 4 1/2 miles while the wife stayed back to watch the kids at the playground. He was amazed at how easy those 4 1/2 miles felt by following my advice about how to avoid over-striding and how much more efficient a quick cadence landing your feet under your COG is. He said he's never run that far in his life! He did wear shoes even though I told him he didn't have to but that's OK. :)

The wife had been doing C25K and said she wouldn't be running with us until she could "work up to" our level but I convinced her my intentions were true that I don't want people to feel they aren't good enough to run with the group. She agreed to go out with my original convert and I and did 1 1/2 of some of the easiest miles she's ever done sticking to the quick, short steps. And she did the whole thing barefoot along with her 10yo and 9yo who followed us similarly unshod. Five barefoot runners pitter pattering around small town MN!

I'm happy to see the payoff for my determination to just keep showing up every week even though I was often the only one. I'm also glad I've decided to give every new member an intro to easy, efficient running as that seems to work incredibly well. Several people now have told me how great it's been to re-discover running as an enjoyable, easy activity as opposed to the painful drudgery they always assumed it had to be.

TD Moose:

I'll certainly let you know next time I sign up for an event in the cities. I've done the Monster Dash before but won't this year as it's the very next weekend after the Mankato Marathon I've signed up for. I'll likely be still recovering. :)

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  5. Barefoot Ken Bob

Barefoot Ken Bob
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. California...

So cool. I've had so many similar experiences, I thought I had wrote this post.

Doing regular runs with only myself most of the time, then maybe one person showing up regularly, then suddenly a group of 5 or more shows up.
    Most importantly, people discovering that running is easy, when we don't try to make it difficult.

This is why I keep trying to encourage people, if you do regular runs anyway, post them on the calendar here and you may one day find you have a group of barefooters running with you. But don't be discouraged on the days no one else shows up. After all, you probably wanted to run anyway.

Barefoot TJ and trevize1138 like this.
  6. trevize1138

trevize1138
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

I am become Ken Bob, destroyer of shoes!

It really has been immensely satisfying seeing that lightbulb switch on for people when they realize how easy and fun running can be. And, you're right, even those days when nobody else showed up I still went out and enjoyed a solo run as usual. It's just icing on the cake when others join me.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  7. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

I loved running...once I ditched the shoes, the music, the monitors, the drink aide... It truly did become easier, and finally, a pure, enjoyable experience.

trevize1138 likes this.