Finally went into a store barefoot!

I'm interested to know if anyone thinks there may be a gender bias in accepting barefootedness. Of course it depends on the environment, but people are accustomed to seeing a woman remove her heels for comfort.

Reactions: JEFF CT
Pretty long rant and story incoming so read at your own risk.

I do find it odd that me walking around with my barefeet on the course was not okay because of toxic fertilizer but everyone is free to touch their golf ball drenched in fertilizer. I do suspect the toxic fertilizer part to be made up.

After that, some random dude comes to me and gives me shit about no one else playing golf barefoot (yeah, me actually!) and blahblahblah there is a dress code for golf and stuff. Also note here that this golf club is known to be pretty loose about its dress code allowing people to play in jeans.

I was so frustrated I couldn't hit a ball for the whole game.

I have every intention of following this up with the manager. If I can't play golf barefoot, I just won't play golf. I won't go back to shoes for that. It will save me some money and keep me healthy.

Sorry for the rant and the bad translation, but I really had to take it out of me.

HI JOSH - Thanks for the post. Recently I went with my kids to an indoor mini-golf (all of us barefoot) and another day we went with mom and the boys, boys were again barefoot with me. - Nobody said a word. As for the pesticides. (not fertilizer) that is a real issue. In CT its illegal to put on certain fields (Elementary and Middle? - But somehow I think its okay right now for High Schools.)

"Potential hazards for the customer are not a reason to implement a policy" - Legally, they can set any rule they want. And you can choose to let them know where their money will be going. It sounds as though you handled it well. As for the other golfer coming up to you. I dont have much to say about that. I guess he doesnt have enough of his own business, he has to worry about everybody else's.

Reactions: Josh16
I'm interested to know if anyone thinks there may be a gender bias in accepting barefootedness. Of course it depends on the environment, but people are accustomed to seeing a woman remove her heels for comfort.

Possibly. Also a beauty factor. And a money factor. You get Giada DeLaurentis walking around Home Depot barefoot, and I doubt security is going to tell her what to do. (ok. maybe they would just as a reason to talk to her. ) But I think we all have our own power. We all have our own voice. When we put on shoes BECAUSE we think someone will say something, we have allowed our voice to be taken without a fight. If you WANT to wear shoes, go ahead.

Reading these posts reminds me of some of the places I went barefoot last week. Went into Wal-Mart again. Once or twice barefoot. kids too. One little girl in a carriage asked her mom why we were barefoot. Didnt get to hear the response. (too busy minding my own business I guess) We also went into DICKs Sporting Goods. Just like another poster said, some of these big stores arent walking around giving customer service, they are running registers and stocking shelves. Thats it. If you know what you want, you can be in and out.
I also decided to take my socks (I wear socks at work a lot now) off to walk across the street to the Chinese food place to pick up my order. 3 young waitresses were sitting around and once they noticed my feet they started giggling. Then one of them darted into the kitchen. I know the manager by sight, and he cooks a lot, so maybe she was going to get him. (minding my own business - and my business was done - it doesnt take long to pay $10 and pick up a bag). I kinda want to test out the Chinese food place again. Where I know the managers, I feel there is a good chance to educate and open the door to acceptance.
Oh- also at the Chinese food place, a kid from the comic book store saw me. I loved comics as a kid. Somehow, I think this kid may someday become a barefooter.

Einstein did not like wearing shoes and socks - In 1917 after a holiday on the Baltic coast Einstein discovered that he enjoyed going barefoot so much that he avoided them whenever possible.

Reactions: Bare Lee and Josh16
oh. I almost forgot! After running our 5k together on Sunday, went to local restaurant. DW put shoes on the boys. (flips on one) and I went in barefoot with my note (http://www.barefooters.org/health-dept/CT2012.pdf) in my pocket. DW thought to ask if we could sit outside. They have a great buffet indoors. We sat outside, we went in and out (bathrooms, breakfast) barefoot - flips flopped under the table for DS2. Planning on bringing friends and family there for breakfast when in town. Great atmosphere.
20140817_103207_zpsv9eficau.jpg

Josh I ran into the same scenario myself 3 weeks ago on a golf course. I was told that it might not be a good thing to golf barefoot due to the fact of fertilizer being toxic and all that. My reply was that in that case the course should be shut down. They gave me a stunned look and asked why. To which I replied that the golf ball rolls on those toxic poisons and people touch the golf ball with their hands so they are all in direct contact with the toxic fertilizers. Nothing else was said in this matter and I did enjoy a great round of golf barefoot on a beautiful day. :)

You know what? If I can't win my case, I'll go play one last round of golf with shoes but with oven mitts as a sign of peaceful protestation, if the fertilizer or pesticide is the issue. If it's a dress code issue, well at least I'll get to save 500$ on a membership and won't have to get a new golf set so that's another 500$ in my pockets.

As for taking my business elsewhere, in my case, it won't work seeing as the only other golf course is much more strict in its dress code. I could still try to contact management and get an autorisation. Or might be I'll try to get a note from doctor this fall.

It's just frustrating to have to go through all of that just to walk around like nature intended me to.

Reactions: Bare Lee
I got a reply from management stating it is matter of safety and insurance.

I intend to reply that I am willing to sign a waiver if this can appease management and the insurance company. I also intend to state that part about toxic fertilizers being a problem for other golfers too. I will also state that if he can indeed show me proof that his insurance company requires footwear worn by golfers, that I will get shoes and a membership for next year.

Anything else I should add?

I intend to reply that I am willing to sign a waiver if this can appease management and the insurance company.

By the way, I really don't like waivers. They are basically admitting that there is something particularly dangerous about going barefoot. In addition, they golf course has already absolved itself by warning you. There is also the issue that you are probably signing away compensation for being injured for something that would also have injured you if shod.

I've written more examples in these three blog posts:

Liability Waivers

Liability Waivers (Again)

A Liability Waiver Example

I realize that sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do, but as least make sure you are fully aware of exactly what it is that you are doing.

Reactions: happysongbird
I realize that sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do, but as least make sure you are fully aware of exactly what it is that you are doing.
I fully understand that they have fulfilled their responsibilities and that no waiver is necessary. I don't like the idea either but businesses and insurance companies are so afraid of lawsuits it's not even funny anymore.

I mean, I'll try to get what I want without it. I'm also wondering if I could use a liability waiver that specifically states barefoot related injury or something like this.

Also keep in mind, I'm not sure about the US, but you can sue through a waiver if the corporation was indeed negligent.
According to Quebec civil code, the acceptance of the risks by the victim against negligence does not mean the victim cannot make claim against the author of the prejudice. (rough translation)

more positive results lately. Went into library, elementary school and bank yesterday. No issues. I did find it interesting at the bank that their slogan (this year) is "Americas Most Convenient Bank". So, if I were ever confronted, first I think Id act shocked and ask if they make food on the premesis, and then quickly reply, "oh yeah, it wouldnt matter, its still not against any health code". - Then Id point out how if they wanted to make me add footwear, that is "less convenient" than those banks that do not. And finally Id point to the change machine.
http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y452/dilljeff/SUMMER 2014/20140821_153051_zpslkimzv74.jpg

Reactions: Bare Lee
I fully understand that they have fulfilled their responsibilities and that no waiver is necessary. I don't like the idea either but businesses and insurance companies are so afraid of lawsuits it's not even funny anymore.

I mean, I'll try to get what I want without it. I'm also wondering if I could use a liability waiver that specifically states barefoot related injury or something like this.
)

I seriously have to consider whether a store feels it is a liability (and they are just too stupid to know better) or if they just dont want to see bare feet and are saying something that would be hard to prove. As far as the liability / waiver issue. I have seen a card out there where the bearer basically had "I assume personal responsibility for my actions. I waive any potential liability of this business to any harm that may befall me due to my choice to wear any footwear or lack thereof." -

But I have not gone this route yet. I have not come into contact with many businesses that will tell me what to do. And I know that I am lucky. I wonder what the success rate is among those who pull out a business card waiver.

I have heard of decent success by those who stand their ground. Especially while grocery shopping. You want me to put on shoes or leave the store? Fine. Put all these items back on the shelf. I will be going to your competitor and writing to corporate.

Its obscene that in this day and age, there are still so many that consider feet on the floor to be dangerous, but the guy coughing and handling food, that gets less of a reaction.

Reactions: Bare Lee and Josh16
I forgot to mention last week, after the 5K social barefoot run along the prom at Bournemouth last week, we tried to have a quick beer in Aruba Bar & Restaurant at Bournemouth Pier. Unfortunately we never got a beer as we were asked to leave if we didn't wear shoes :( We didn't argue and just left. (I can never be bothered myself.) Weird though how a bar which is basically on the beach is willing to lose business for a crazy dress rule! Anyway, remember the name ... Aruba Bar & Restaurant, Bournemouth Seafront; barefoot-unfriendly, prefers shoes to money :)

Maybe BF-friendly establishments could put up a BRS Stomp of Approval decal? :D

I think this is a good idea....some kind of decal promoting barefoot anything!!

I already do this for a Bar in Louisville Colorado...the Bar owner always gives me a stack of "God Bless Johnny Cash" stickers when I visit with my family there.

Or we surreptitiously stencil a 'We prefer shoes to money' logo outside barefoot-intolerant establishments? Who's up for designing the logo? :)

Reactions: Bare Lee and Sid