Fightin' Words?

Well it's the closest thing I

Well it's the closest thing I can get to it at this point in my life, so I'll take what I can get :p

I figured as much about walking a marathon, it was more those who have a real problem with those who want to walk a marathon, or walk/run or ride a scooter for that matter.

Like Abide, I was muckin'

Like Abide, I was muckin' around about walking. C'mon people who really cares about what people do (1,2,3,4 and 5) as long as it doesn't interfere with our chance to go running?

And Miker, what you said.

btw, a little trick I taught

btw, a little trick I taught myself when I first started running trails, in order to stay focused and prevent my mind from zoning out I would carry 2 golf balls in my hand and swirl them around and see how many revolutions I could go without dropping either of them. It acted as a reminder to pay attention and keep lifting the knees.

miker wrote:ajb, if you are

miker said:
ajb, if you are running bf and your mind is wandering, I highly recommend bf trail running, 'cause I "garontee" that yer mand don't wander off whin yer runnin' a trell. :)

:-D I'm working on it. Few more weeks and I'll have worked up the courage for it.

I used to be a HUGE user of

I used to be a HUGE user of head phones when running shod... In fact without headphones when shod, my mileage would literally drop by half or more. :puzzled: Now I only ever use headphones for playing a metronome to help me with cadence, and its so quiet it doesn't interfere with my ability to hear at all. Tried running barefoot with tunes one time, found it distracted me too much. So for me its good form, OR music, not both.

Abide, I do (quickly ducking

Abide, I do (quickly ducking and moving from objects & various phrases being thrown my way via the internet). But I find I am listening less over time. Most of my runs are either on trails or on jogging paths, so if I'm going to get hit by a car they gotta really be trying! I think it is easier to keep my cadence up w/music.

I'm running in a 15K (not 9K as I earlier posted) tomorrow and I'm not going to use music just so I can chit chat w/others who want to ask me if I've read "Born to Run" yet. ;-) Not sure I'm ready for 9.3 miles bf yet, but I'm going to get some of those pointed tweezers and super glue and I should be good to go!

'Course, w/o the tunes, I'll also hear all the whispers about the bf guy. This run has over 10,000 runners. It will be interesting to see how many bf runners I see.

No I don't care if you do or

No I don't care if you do or not. In fact I used to be an avid music listener when I ran. I loved listening to music and I used it as my time to listen to all the new stuff I would accumulate. It actually makes me kind of sad I don't like to anymore :)

It just seems like a lot of people that used to listen to music stopped when they started barefooting. I thought it was interesting.

I run with music on all my

I run with music on all my runs including the all barefoot ones (I'm up to around 60% total milage bf). Even when I run with friends (I'm bf on those) I have one headphone in. I've turned it off when bf just to give it a shot and I have a really hard time relaxing. I pay to much attention to everything I could be stepping on and forget to just relax and adjust when it happens. Plus I get bored and go faster than I should and my form is hurt for it. I don't EVER match my cadence to the music. My music I run with is almost all about 120-160 bpm so my cadence is always significantly faster than my music.

I'm pretty dependent on music for everything though. I think I wear my headphones around 8 hours a day.

I often listen to audiobooks

I often listen to audiobooks when I run barefoot. I don't use headphones though, I just use the speaker on my phone.

Abide wrote:NOOOOOO! I have

Abide said:
NOOOOOO! I have to say running with friends and wearing headphones is not cool...

May I ask why?

Its not like its so loud I can't hear whats going on around me. We spend the whole time talking and I don't have any problems hearing. If I ran with two people at once I'd certainly have to go without though. Because I always have the ear facing away from the friend as the one with the headphone in. I think my zigzagging to avoid rough rocks, ruts, thorns ect... is probably more disruptive than my headphone.

That's funny I was going to

That's funny I was going to ask you why you would want to wear them while running with someone.

Um well for me it portrays that you don't really want to have anything to do with me other than to maybe have some protection from the local vagrants. I tend think head phones are a road block to conversation. Which is fine if you don't want to converse. But then if you didn't want to talk why run with someone?

Most of my running mates wear headphones and I don't really care, I was more teasing than anything. Something I have been doing too much of lately here...sorry.

Nothing really new here, but

Nothing really new here, but I thought I would add my $.02:

1. Walking in Marathons: I've done it through water stations, to briefly stretch out and take GU's. 26.2 miles on your feet is a great day of exercises for anyone at anytime I believe. If people speed/slow walk marathons, as long as they beat the cut off and start at the correct pace, who can blame them.

2. Running with Headphones: I am a musician and for years with shoes I would listen to music. Now I feel like I can't get into any grove with it on. In fact, I play music so much during a given week, that listening to it in my car or at home is almost too much sometimes. Since taking off the shoes, the headphone became the next natural step for me. (trying everyday to shed the ego of finish time) And hey, runners with or without headphones can't hear BF's approaching anyway.

3. Dean Karnazes: Just like any other athlete that is a top contender in what they do, people judge them on their talents AND their personal life. Many great athletes can criminals, smarmy A-holes, cheaters, womanizers, whiners, etc. and we judge them in both arena's. I have a lot of respect for Deans ability and accomplishments. I don't know him as a person and don't personally find his books to be offensive in any way.

4. Barefoot Running: So Far, So Good.

5. Charity Runners: I was one last year and had a great time with it. I will always encourage the support of worthy causes through running and other practices.

You are so funny, Miker.It's

You are so funny, Miker.

It's not just a matter of the numbers of people who give up headphones after taking up barefoot running, but it seems that it takes time to give them up. It's not like we take our first barefoot step and say, "Screw these head phones." It takes time. It seems that once you've done this a while, you start to ditch all the unnecessary stuff and just stick with the basics, if anything at all.

Abide wrote:So just out of

Abide said:
So just out of curiosity does anyone running barefoot wear headphones and listen to music?

I do too.

I listen to those 1 hour long podrunner loops just to help keeping my cadence at 180.

But I have been only running for four months and I am becoming more and more curious how the BF running is without music. So I am planning on leaving my player at home one day and giving it a shot :smile:

Abide wrote:That's funny I

Abide said:
That's funny I was going to ask you why you would want to wear them while running with someone.

ok actually I don't know :-D. I suppose I've always failed so hard everytime I've tried without it I never even thought to take them off when I was running with friends. I should give it a shot.

I actually can't stand to

I actually can't stand to talk to anyone while listening to headphones. I'm okay with other people doing it, though it does really start to bug me if they're missing stuff. I do find it a little dis-respectful, but nowhere near as bad as texting while I'm talking to someone. You wouldn't randomly start talking to another person in the middle of my converation with you, and you wouldn't take a phone call unless it was important, so why is texting okay? I pretty much hate cell phones. All this technology we have for "personal entertainment" ruins interaction with other people. Am I saying i-pods are a bad thing? No, they're terribly convenient, but I would rather have speakers so I could share the music I'm listening too with the people around me. (Sorry, thats my little anti-technology rant which is rather off topic.)

You're an old soul, Danjo. 

You're an old soul, Danjo. An old soul with new soles. Hee.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test