Feet Deflated... anyone else?

deviantrunner

Chapter Presidents
Apr 3, 2010
Holly Springs, NC
Recently I have switched from running in the evening to running in the morning... just before day light. This change seems to have opened my eyes to an interesting phenomenon.

Immediately upon getting out of bed, my feet are a tad stiff from the previous days run. Yesterday and today I noticed that my feet seem to be "deflated". Allow me to describe what I mean...

It is as if all the fluid has been evacuated from my feet during my sleep. I can noticeable see and feel my feet seem to inflate over the course of 5-10 minutes. At which time my feet feel more padded. During all this the stiffness goes away too.

Any ideas or comments??? Thanks.

I am going to try to get a picture of this... because I think it is actually visable!

Steve

I am one of those very early

I am one of those very early morning runners. I love being out there when the world around me is quiet. I have never been a two day consecutive runner but I definitely get the stiff feeling in my feet, I need to walk around a bit to get my feet functioning properly and get the blood flow going. I don't experience the deflating though, that sounds really interesting.

I don't know if fluid runs

I don't know if fluid runs back into my feet over the day, but I definitely notice that my feet are less sensitive when I run at the end of the day than immediately after I get up. It always takes me a while to be able to walk around without stiffness.

I would think that the cause is less bloodflow to the feet because, although you're not elevating your feet all night while you sleep, they aren't below your heart like they are all day while doing whatever it is you do upright.

hmm, I remember you're

hmm, I remember you're supposed to buy shoes in the evening because your feet are biggest then... not sure if it's because of swelling, blood flow, or what, but I think what you're experiencing is a known phenomenon. I wonder if that's related to PF hurting more in the morning?

Good observation about the

Good observation about the PF, Kit.

Mine are definetly 

Mine are definetly skinnier in the morning when I first get up. I can hardly see the veins. In the evening, veins are bulging out, and the feet muscles are pumped up ;). Of course, that's after I go running and trail running all bf. Makes muscles grow strong and healthy!

Generally speaking, your feet

Generally speaking, your feet will swell a little throughout the day. When you stand or sit upright your feet are in what's called a "dependent" position (aka below the heart); this causes an accumulation of fluid in the tissues and blood vessels of the feet. Now, if you have a healthy circulatory system the accumulation should be slight, but it is noticeable if you're paying attention. This is also the reason why you elevate an injury above the level of the heart when you're trying to prevent swelling.

I suspect the PF pain being worse in the morning has more to do with the tissues (especially muscles) of the foot and lower leg being "cold" and having been immobile for 8 hours. Just like when you get of an 8 hour plane or car ride, you hips, knees, and back are tight, stiff, and inflexible, but with the PF you're dealing with an already inflamed fascial tissue. I suppose it's possible the bursa (fluid fill sac that acts as a cushion) deflates a little bit overnight which could compound the discomfort. When I was dealing with PF, I found that using a Foot Wheel (www.amazon.com/RPI-Foot-Wheel/dp/B0007YZ18U sorry for the product placement) to massage the sole of of my foot, followed by a few minutes of stretching first thing in the morning BEFORE my first step of the day yielded significant improvement of symptoms. I would also massage and stretch my feet before bed in hopes that I'd prevent a little of the tightening overnight. A golf ball could be used in place of a foot wheel too.

I just want to add real

I just want to add real quick... The number one reason the plantar fascia takes so long to heal is because we jump right out of bed every morning (or after a period of rest, sitting, etc.) and begin our day, instead of stetching the fascia first. When the fascia is cold and you leap out of bed, you are in fact reinjuring the fascia, retearing it microscopically. Doing this every morning (or after each rest period) will take the PF that much longer to heal. So, as Greg said, stretch it good before taking that first step.

I just assumed everyone had

I just assumed everyone had sore feet in the morning. I always walk a little gingerly in the morning until the blood ciruclates and they adjust.

Just a suggestion, Try some

Just a suggestion, Try some feet yoga before getting out of bed. Rotate the ankles, stretch and extend. I like to move them and stretch them for a few minutes. When I remember to do this, they feel much better hitting the floor than when I forget.

I got the idea from Toe-Ga at Ken Bobs and I really like it