Feeling New...

Noonie

Barefooters
Jun 23, 2013
I wasn't sure where to post this, might make sense as you read on. And it's a bit long for the intro section, sorry about that.

About three years ago I first tried BF running. Shortly after I started purchasing some minimal footwear. I like being barefoot around the house, and at certain other times when the weather is nice, but I'm not a die-hard. I did ok BF running, and when the weather got cold and I switched to some minimal footwear I continued to do alright. At some point I increased time or distance too much and had developed ankle/calf issues that lingered for a couple years. During this time I would take long breaks for running, and my main footwear was Xero sandals that I wore pretty much everywhere...including walking around at amusement parks with the family for many hours...walking, even hiking. I never had any back issues when wearing this footwear...just the odd ankle flare-up.

Fast forward to today, for the last six months I've been wearing 'normal' shoes again. This did get rid of that lingering issue I developed a couple of years ago when running. But I miss my minimal footwear, and I found my back (both lower, and neck and shoulders) has been sore of late...maybe I was better off back when I was minimal. Maybe it's unrelated...? Anyway, that's what I'm trying to solve for.

I've now decided to go "mainly" minimal...until such a time I can be full time minimal, or BF where I'm comfortable, which is why I'm posting here under introductions...because I feel new to this as it's been a while. I do not plan on running. I'm not a runner. I'm a cyclist who dabbles with hiking.

That's it...I'll see how it comes along but I don't think I'll be spending long days walking in minimal footwear as I know this would be TMTS. I'll probably alternate shoes between min and traditional to work back into it.

Cheers!

Sounds like you received...er uh...I hate to say it..uh hum...benefit from both types of shoes. Maybe finding a hybrid of some sort could help you. BUT...I noticed you didn't complain about pain due to being barefoot, so maybe try working back into barefooting more instead of wearing shoes of any kind (unless you really have to). Once you go barefoot more and more, a little more each time, you will feel more confident and comfortable in doing so, and your body will too.

You are very welcome here, Noonie - I'm glad you've found us. It sounds like you are open to whatever works best, which I've found to be the best way to find the best answers. I hope you find a good solution for the issues bothering you. I also live in both worlds - I wear traditional shoes (as wide as I can buy them) to work, and I run both in minimal shoes and barefoot, going barefoot around the house. It works for me.

Reactions: happysongbird
Ya, you'll find all sorts hereabouts. Many of us adjust our footwear to the weather or to the terrain we're running on.

I ran my first real BF mile of the year today, but slipped into my VFF Bikilas when my feet had had enough of the wet asphalt and residual gravel and ran the last 5 miles quite contentedly.

Welcome and good luck with your various pains.