Favorite sports

I thought it went without saying that we liked running. :) (then WHY did I say it?)
Doing and watching are two different things for me. I wouldn't mind playing a lot of sports/athletic activities, but I only like to watch football, and a little boxing/martial arts on the side. It's probably no coincidence that the sports I like to watch are too violent for me to do anymore. Harder to explain is the fact that the sports I like to do hold little interest for me as a spectator.

I've often heard people trying to decide whether or not a specific activity is a "sport" or not, and arguing the issue forever with no real definitive conclusion.
Then a friend of mine put it much more simply:
"If you can smoke while you're doing it and be one of the best, it's not a sport"
That immediately ruled out bowling, billiards, and golf.

Reactions: Zetti and Bare Lee
I've often heard people trying to decide whether or not a specific activity is a "sport" or not, and arguing the issue forever with no real definitive conclusion.
"If you can smoke while you're doing it and be one of the best, it's not a sport"
I once worked out an elaborate scheme using Boolean categories, one night several years ago while working through some insomnia and waiting for a pint of beer to cool properly, but it would probably only make sense to me. I like the smoking criterion though ...

For all you MMA fans, is fighting really fun for you? I watch the UF matches and I just can't understand why someone would think getting punched in the balls would be enjoyable?

Smoking is a good one, the problem is it rules out the shotput, javelin, shooting et al...

Doing and watching are two different things for me. I wouldn't mind playing a lot of sports/athletic activities, but I only like to watch football, and a little boxing/martial arts on the side. It's probably no coincidence that the sports I like to watch are too violent for me to do anymore. Harder to explain is the fact that the sports I like to do hold little interest for me as a spectator.

Agreed, I really don't enjoy being a spectator. But I do enjoy running.

I've never been much into sports, playing or watching. I can get into a basketball game, or any motorsport besides NASCAR and drag racing. But I don't really go out of my way to watch or attend them. I watch SEC football if my school is playing, don't really care for NFL one bit.

This is one thing my wife loves about me. She's not much into sports, either, and loves that I don't obsess about it.

For all you MMA fans, is fighting really fun for you? I watch the UF matches and I just can't understand why someone would think getting punched in the balls would be enjoyable?

Smoking is a good one, the problem is it rules out the shotput, javelin, shooting et al...
I actually loved it Abide. There's something about besting your opponent that is very satisfying... Hmmmm, I think that sounds an awful lot like what we see in nature all the time... Deer fight, elk fight, buffalo fight, numerous animals fight to prove their manliness and right to the women. It's a very natural thing.

It's not smoking - but the same principle applies!

When I was a younger man, full-contact karate was fun, but I wouldn't risk getting concussed or kicked in the balls now. I like living life without impairment too much, and am glad I never suffered permanent consequences.

It's still fun to watch testosterone-hyped males pummel each other though. I would almost get cable/satellite just for that, but free NFL, especially the playoffs, is enough to satisfy my vicarious blood lust.

I used to practice Taido, but then I got job and it prevented me to be actively practise it and so I started running.. Taido is probably most bizarre looking japanese martial art, realism is not a goal, but that's the thing that makes it funny. Here is nice taido fight. :D

Although it looks much lamer when ordinary, not so acrobatically skilled guys like I fight, but nevertheless, it's more fun to me than heavier contact more realistic fighting. Generally I don't like heavy contact, I tried out kickboxing and didn't like it.

I also do orienteering, as it's quite popular sport here in Finland. According to little googling, there are much more orienteering clubs in Finland than in USA. In about every city of 10k of residents there are weekly orienteering events.

And I like to watch F1 races.

Lol those guys' pants make them look really short :p

And of course everyone is barefoot there, or at least the ones on the mats are.

To watch? I love to watch cycling (the grand tours and the one day classics. Paris-Roubaix, What?!). The doping stuff kinda bums me out, though.
I actually enjoy watching running, and will watch marathon coverage when televised, as well as track events.
SEC football (Go Dawgs!), and a little NFL.
I loathe NBA basketball and believe it to be no better than a prison work release program, and baseball is only good if I'm at the stadium overpaying for beer while I watch.
MMA and boxing. I just started boxing workouts with my crossfit coach/friend and will begin learning some jiu-jitsu stuff from him in the near future. I'm essentially his training dummy as he preps for fights and work (he's a trainer for cops on self-defense/hand to hand).
Enduro moto racing and rally car racing, if I ever find it on late at night is fun too.

Until they crash.

Reactions: Bare Lee

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts