Favorite piece of ultra gear

Agree on that.. I had Garmin 610 (four fully customizable datafields in one screen, three screens), which I kept looking during run all too much. So I bought Garmin 15 (two screens, with two datafields each and very minimum customization possible). Running is better now. ;)

Customizable is awesome though, actually I agree with having too much data available. My fitbit has the same data as you said but there are two main flaws for me it doesn't do MPH or KPH and the battery life is only 5 hours or so using the GPS.

I used the Suunto and it's basically a much more user friendly gps than the crappy Garmin bevel thing I have. Regular buttons are so much easier to use. I also reprogrammed the screens so I only have one screen with the basic Lap KPH, Total time and Total distance. That seems to be the perfect info for me. It doesn't have a lap vibrate option which is something I do like. Too bad.

Running on a mile per minute or a KPM speed is a pain in the ass when running ultras so the per hour flexibility is key for me.

Reactions: skedaddle
Oh yeah I have been experimenting with injini socks to prevent those annoying between the toe blisters. Seems like they do a pretty good job preventing them.

Customizable is awesome though, actually I agree with having too much data available. My fitbit has the same data as you said but there are two main flaws for me it doesn't do MPH or KPH and the battery life is only 5 hours or so using the GPS.

I used the Suunto and it's basically a much more user friendly gps than the crappy Garmin bevel thing I have. Regular buttons are so much easier to use. I also reprogrammed the screens so I only have one screen with the basic Lap KPH, Total time and Total distance. That seems to be the perfect info for me. It doesn't have a lap vibrate option which is something I do like. Too bad.

Running on a mile per minute or a KPM speed is a pain in the ass when running ultras so the per hour flexibility is key for me.

Have you tested out the battery life yet Abide?
I know you've been unwell so not sure if you're up to running yet for a proper field test.
Hope things are improving for you.

Have you tested out the battery life yet Abide?
I know you've been unwell so not sure if you're up to running yet for a proper field test.
Hope things are improving for you.
Yep today I did 10 hours at the most frequent GPS signal and the battery level was more than half full. A friend has one too and he says it usually dies after 22 hours which is 2 more than they say. It was really nice having it on my long run today helped keep my pace focused and knowing the distance was nice too. So far so good.

Thanks, feeling pretty good after my run. Got a little sunburned from the amazing weather we are having. I guess it's aside effect of the antibiotics. My headache went away for the first time in a month after I stopped running? So that's good too.

Yep today I did 10 hours at the most frequent GPS signal and the battery level was more than half full. A friend has one too and he says it usually dies after 22 hours which is 2 more than they say. It was really nice having it on my long run today helped keep my pace focused and knowing the distance was nice too. So far so good.

Thanks, feeling pretty good after my run. Got a little sunburned from the amazing weather we are having. I guess it's aside effect of the antibiotics. My headache went away for the first time in a month after I stopped running? So that's good too.

That's awesome! I'm lucky to get 8hrs out of my old Garmin.

Great to here you're back out running and feeling a bit better.

I've just got the Skin Lab 12L along with the 3L for training.
I know this is a bit off topic but can you advise how to get rid of the chlorine taste from the soft flasks. I read to fill them with lemon juice and freeze them but i'm afraid they'll split.

So I managed to lose my old Salomon 12+3l pack and I'm hoping to pick up a new one for my 100 in a couple weeks. Bad timing for sure. How do you like your pack?

Do you have this one?
http://www.salomon.com/us/product/s-lab-adv-skin-12set.html?article=375717

So I managed to lose my old Salomon 12+3l pack and I'm hoping to pick up a new one for my 100 in a couple weeks. Bad timing for sure. How do you like your pack?

Do you have this one?
http://www.salomon.com/us/product/s-lab-adv-skin-12set.html?article=375717

Yup, Not really tested it yet though Abide, been using the 3l for training. Fits fine though.
I think the only major difference between your old pack and the new one is that the new one is slightly lighter and they've removed rigid chest strap piping, the bit where the straps attach, and replaced it with cord.

One piece of kit that I forgot to mention, that I love, is a buff with a neoprene peak. Never blows off in the wind, protects the back of your neck from sunburn, keeps sweat out of your eyes.

108606.jpg

Yup, Not really tested it yet though Abide, been using the 3l for training. Fits fine though.
I think the only major difference between your old pack and the new one is that the new one is slightly lighter and they've removed rigid chest strap piping, the bit where the straps attach, and replaced it with cord.

One piece of kit that I forgot to mention, that I love, is a buff with a neoprene peak. Never blows off in the wind, protects the back of your neck from sunburn, keeps sweat out of your eyes.

View attachment 7232

OK thanks I think I will get one. Interesting it comes in sizes now. I have 3 packs from them now the 12, 20 and 30l. Although I am still on the fence with the 20l pack.

That's an interesting buff. I usually cut the buffs in half because they are too warm for me and I usually only wear it in the winter.

I received the new Salomon pack and so far I like the updated version. Not nearly as roomy as my old one but the front pockets are better and the side zip pockets are a really nice feature. Mine didn't come with a bladder holder like my old one had even though it said it was supposed to? Now I need to fill it up and run with it.

Chlorine taste. I used to ride mountain bikes. A lot. I had a Camelback about 10 years ago. It's bladder had a mild - medium chlorine/chemical taste. Filled it up, dropped in several AlkaSeltzer tabs, to fizz away. Left it sit over night. Repeated the next morning/day. After that no more 'chemical' taste, but it did have a very mild cherry flavor (from the AlkaSeltzer). Lesser of two evils, I guess. Am glad I used the alkaseltzer thing, though if I ever got another bag, I'd use something a bit more minty.

I received the new Salomon pack and so far I like the updated version. Not nearly as roomy as my old one but the front pockets are better and the side zip pockets are a really nice feature. Mine didn't come with a bladder holder like my old one had even though it said it was supposed to? Now I need to fill it up and run with it.

I wanted to do a follow on the new Salomon pack. I have worn it for a couple long runs now and I have to say its a significant improvement over my older salomon 14l pack. I do notice a difference in carrying capacity but the front pockets fit my 5-700 soft flask much better than my older pack. The overall pocket system is also better for snacks and phones and such. The two rear zippable pockets are nice and accessible without taking it off. It also fits a closer to the body, however is a little less adjustable. Which doesn't quite matter as the new ones are sized. So very happy with the improvements on the new pack.

View attachment 7232

I've been thinking about this as a nice way to keep those awful midge things you have over there. Is the actual fabric pretty breathable?

I've been thinking about this as a nice way to keep those awful midge things you have over there. Is the actual fabric pretty breathable?

Glad the pack worked out for you.

If you find a buff too hot, your probably not going to like it. I like them because they absorb the sweat and stop it getting in my eyes.
If the dreaded midges are a problem I know they do a buff with UV and insect shield. Haven't got one so don't know how effective they are.

Glad the pack worked out for you.

If you find a buff too hot, your probably not going to like it. I like them because they absorb the sweat and stop it getting in my eyes.
If the dreaded midges are a problem I know they do a buff with UV and insect shield. Haven't got one so don't know how effective they are.

Ok thanks, I do find a buff too hot in the summer. And visors only work for keeping the sweat out of my eyes for a short time (like 20 minutes) until they get soaked through, so I usually don't wear them. Thanks for the info!

Yeah you never know how the midges will be. I was running in Ireland and there was a couple mile portion protected by trees and they were horrendous. But the rest of the way with some wind protection they were nonexistent. It should be ok in the lakes as long as I seem to remember the wind is always blowing. It also looks like the temps will plummet later this week, which usually indicates some non eastern winds. I was thinking more for the long treks in August and September.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts