Favorite piece of ultra gear

Abide

Barefooters
May 13, 2010
I'm always interested to hear what kind of gear works for people in ultras. I've got most ultra stuff covered but I have been accumulating some fast packing stuff recently but there is always so much more out there than I know about.

Anyway my most recent purchase was the a larger pack. I use a Salomon Skin Lab 12L pack for most of my ultras but I tend to run out of space for gear for colder and longer races. I picked up a Ultimate direction 20l pack but wasn't very happy with how it sits, so then I discovered this one http://www.salomon.com/us/product/peak-30.html and so far am very happy with it. It fits very similar to my other salomon pack but has way more room and a handy little waist strap when things get too heavy. The chest straps are also elastic and really hold the pack tight while running.
Anyway one miss and one hit. Now I need to unload the UD so I can get the Salomon 20L version too!

I use a Salomon Skin Lab 12L pack for most of my ultras

I've just got the Skin Lab 12L along with the 3L for training.
I know this is a bit off topic but can you advise how to get rid of the chlorine taste from the soft flasks. I read to fill them with lemon juice and freeze them but i'm afraid they'll split.

I've just got the Skin Lab 12L along with the 3L for training.
I know this is a bit off topic but can you advise how to get rid of the chlorine taste from the soft flasks. I read to fill them with lemon juice and freeze them but i'm afraid they'll split.

You know I have never actually experienced the chlorine taste with mine, although I am from AZ and used to highly chlorinated water so that might be why? I do use tailwind in mine which does leave a lingering taste but its not a big deal, maybe you could try that to offset the bad chlorine taste?

Do you like the 12l pack? You probably have a newer version than I have, do the front pockets fit your flasks ok?

You know I have never actually experienced the chlorine taste with mine, although I am from AZ and used to highly chlorinated water so that might be why? I do use tailwind in mine which does leave a lingering taste but its not a big deal, maybe you could try that to offset the bad chlorine taste?

Do you like the 12l pack? You probably have a newer version than I have, do the front pockets fit your flasks ok?

Haven't really used the 12L yet Abide, only had it for a month or so that I bought to replace an ageing camelback, but have been using the 3L for a while now, which I love.
The flasks seem tight in both, even more so on the 3L, I think there must be an art to getting the bottles in quickly without taking the pack off that I haven't mastered yet.
Thanks for the advice, I think I must have had an odd batch or maybe chlorination is something they started doing with the new packs to keep them sterile whilst shipping.

Haven't really used the 12L yet Abide, only had it for a month or so that I bought to replace an ageing camelback, but have been using the 3L for a while now, which I love.
The flasks seem tight in both, even more so on the 3L, I think there must be an art to getting the bottles in quickly without taking the pack off that I haven't mastered yet.
Thanks for the advice, I think I must have had an odd batch or maybe chlorination is something they started doing with the new packs to keep them sterile whilst shipping.

I have never figured a fast way out either and I use it once or twice a week, although maybe tighter is better since it prevents it from bouncing or swaying back and forth like you have hug knockers and no bra. That's kind of how I feel in the new bag since it holds a full 600ml soft flask.

What kind of flask did you get? I just bought a couple of new ones too and I hadn't noticed. I am very likely less sensitive to chlorine as all the tap water here is way better than home.

Glad you like it!

Hey any recommendations on anti chafe stuff out here? I use body glide but it seems to wear off fast. 2Toms butt shield?

I have never figured a fast way out either and I use it once or twice a week, although maybe tighter is better since it prevents it from bouncing or swaying back and forth like you have hug knockers and no bra. That's kind of how I feel in the new bag since it holds a full 600ml soft flask.

What kind of flask did you get? I just bought a couple of new ones too and I hadn't noticed. I am very likely less sensitive to chlorine as all the tap water here is way better than home.

Glad you like it!

Hey any recommendations on anti chafe stuff out here? I use body glide but it seems to wear off fast. 2Toms butt shield?

It's not my tap water Abide, I filter it anyway. When I first got them with the pack the chlorine in them almost burnt the roof of my mouth, I guess a bad batch. They're in the freezer now with lemon juice, hopefully that will sort it as others have recommended.

Never use body glide so I can't help you there Abide. I just wear salomon trail shorts with the built in skin tight inner which seems to work for me. It's also not very humid where I live, which I suspect is a big culprit.

Oops sorry I didn't mean it was your tap, just the reason why I probably don't notice it on mine. Tap water over here and in the UK is fabulous!

Hopefully the freezer works out, they are the same material as camelbacks I think and I leave them in the freezer for storage. I use lemon juice to clean them out too.

So I use body glide, and so long as I remember to use it, it works well.

My ultra gear. I try to keep it minimal. I have a Nathan Trail Mix 4 (4 10 oz flasks and a pocket) an I use a 20 oz Nathan carry bottle.

If I can get away with it, I just throw a fanny pack over my shoulder like a bandolier and carry food in it and carry my bottle.

I mostly train alone, so I always pack a small cig lighter and pocket knife in case I get hurt and stranded and have to survive a night or something.

Oops sorry I didn't mean it was your tap, just the reason why I probably don't notice it on mine. Tap water over here and in the UK is fabulous!

Hopefully the freezer works out, they are the same material as camelbacks I think and I leave them in the freezer for storage. I use lemon juice to clean them out too.

Yeh, I always kept my camelback in the freezer so i'm sure things will be fine. Trust me Abide the water out of these bottles tastes so much of chlorine I could bleach my hair with it. I don't know if they screwed up in the process of sterilising them, but from what i've read i'm not the only one and lemon juice does the trick, here's hoping.
Sorry got my wires crossed with the whole tap water thing, I posted in a rush.

Reactions: Abide
So I use body glide, and so long as I remember to use it, it works well.

My ultra gear. I try to keep it minimal. I have a Nathan Trail Mix 4 (4 10 oz flasks and a pocket) an I use a 20 oz Nathan carry bottle.

If I can get away with it, I just throw a fanny pack over my shoulder like a bandolier and carry food in it and carry my bottle.

I mostly train alone, so I always pack a small cig lighter and pocket knife in case I get hurt and stranded and have to survive a night or something.

Good point about a lighter. I am going to add one to my list.

Since I have been on the merino wool kick, I picked up a couple light wool Tshirts for the summer. I am very impressed they seem to keep me much cooler than tech shirts and the sweat seems to evaporate much better from them. They are a bit itchy initially but I figure after a few wears and washes they will soften out.

Yeh, I always kept my camelback in the freezer so i'm sure things will be fine. Trust me Abide the water out of these bottles tastes so much of chlorine I could bleach my hair with it. I don't know if they screwed up in the process of sterilising them, but from what i've read i'm not the only one and lemon juice does the trick, here's hoping.
Sorry got my wires crossed with the whole tap water thing, I posted in a rush.

That's really nasty actually. I have used them without rinsing for a race, I'd be irritated if I got stuck with chlorine water in the middle of it. Well now we know to check beforehand.

Last edited:
Which kind do you like? Necessary in Aug over there?

I wanted something thin and light. Haven't researched them properly to advise well.
I've got these Polaris vortex cycling gloves but i'm sure there are better options out there, these don't seem to breathe too well.

http://road.cc/content/review/75523-polaris-vortex-windgrip-gloves

I know if I say you won't need them in August the weather will prove me wrong. If it rains all day and you're tired they can take a bit of the edge off.

I wanted something thin and light. Haven't researched them properly to advise well.
I've got these Polaris vortex cycling gloves but i'm sure there are better options out there, these don't seem to breathe too well.

http://road.cc/content/review/75523-polaris-vortex-windgrip-gloves

I know if I say you won't need them in August the weather will prove me wrong. If it rains all day and you're tired they can take a bit of the edge off.

Yeah they are a very low weight item so it's probably worth bringing.

You have any experience with long life gps watches, like the Suunto Ambits? Just saw that they now have 20-200hours battery life's depending on the GPS connectivity. Might come in handy on the long days over the pennine.

Yeah they are a very low weight item so it's probably worth bringing.

You have any experience with long life gps watches, like the Suunto Ambits? Just saw that they now have 20-200hours battery life's depending on the GPS connectivity. Might come in handy on the long days over the pennine.

As it happens I did some research the other week. This might help from the GR, he's usually unbiased with his reviews.

Thanks, did you decide on one?

I've never worn a watch at an ultra and I am still on the fence about it? Stupid really, as everyone I know loves them.

No, I've always used Garmins, but was curious because i'm fed up with the dumb touch bezel system on my old 410.

I'm with you when it comes to watches, there is always the danger that data can interfere with the experience on so many levels.
I just use the hr monitor to judge my pace and wait to paw over all the gps stuff when I get home.

No, I've always used Garmins, but was curious because i'm fed up with the dumb touch bezel system on my old 410.

I'm with you when it comes to watches, there is always the danger that data can interfere with the experience on so many levels.
I just use the hr monitor to judge my pace and wait to paw over all the gps stuff when I get home.

Ok thanks my same experience with my Garmin. I found the Ambit 3 peak for €250, and I think I'm gonna get it. Its a limited model and is lighter than the other ones so that's a benefit plus its around half price. I'll let you know what I think.

Agree on that.. I had Garmin 610 (four fully customizable datafields in one screen, three screens), which I kept looking during run all too much. So I bought Garmin 15 (two screens, with two datafields each and very minimum customization possible). Running is better now. ;)