Favorite foods for pre/during/post run

tacticalhippie

Barefooters
Nov 3, 2010
Just curious to see what everyone else is chowin down for running fuel or recovery food.

my favorites are:

-homemade hummus with chia and olives (i make a little wrap with a tortilla so its easier to eat on the move)

-banana bread with chia (not sure what else my wife throws in there but its amazing!)

-iskiate

Pre run -- coffee, chia,

Pre run -- coffee, chia, almond butter.

During -- nothing. The longest I've ever run is a little over 2 hours, and I never really have seen the need for anything to eat or drink during a run.

Post run -- coffee.

pre - chaga tea with lemon

pre - chaga tea with lemon and/or chia soaked in water till it expands with lemon juice drink.

some times about an hour or so pre - whey with raw milk.

post, water and/or chaga tea with lemon and / or the chia seed drink above or the whey with raw milk.

Some times I add a raw egg ( free range organic ) .

Short runs I don't eat

Short runs I don't eat anything really until lunch time except maybe some chocolate milk or gatorade if I have it around. Bad I know. But for long runs I do the following-

Pre- chocolate milk and something small but solidish like a banana, nutragrain bar, bread and peanut butter ect.... basically just to settle my stomach so I don't get sick.

During- anything under 15 miles nothing. Anything over that at least 1 gu sometimes 2.

After- more chocolate milk, bananas and and lots and lots of carb heavy food. Either potatoes or pasta and oddly enough corn tend to be my cravings.

In case the chocolate milk seems weird, they've actually done studies that shows it works as good as marketed recovery drinks. So I use this as an excuse to drink alot of it because I love it!

I only ever have stomach

I only ever have stomach trouble when I'm sprinting, and that has nothing to do with food, it just because I'm breathing so hard that I practically breathe out the contents of my stomach. Swimming is another matter though, I can't eat anything within like an hour and a half of swimming laps. I wonder how those 24 hour swimmers do it.... I gauruntee I'd throw up if I ate while swimming. Anyways;

Pre: Whatever is around the house, usually yogurt, a banana, and an apple (and some other random stuff).

During: I carry a gatorade for anything over 5 miles, I've gotten low blood sugar before, not fun. I'll munch on a granola bar if I feel inclined, but I never really need to.

After: Protien shake (I don't really think it does anything, but it tastes good, so I don't care), a granola bar, water, and usually whatever I'm having for dinner, because thats about when I get home.

@ajb - i've heard good things

@ajb - i've heard good things about chocolate milk! no excuses needed...

2 hrs. before: plain greek yogurt w/cinnamon & a tsp. of agave nectar (i could LIVE on this stuff!), a banana or apple, 16 fl. oz. water, maybe an orange

30 min before: a few pretzels or crackers & more water

during - nothing. longest i've run is maybe 90 minutes...

after: protein shake w/ 2 Emergen-C 'Joint Health' packets added, some beef jerky, almonds (roasted & salted)... i cannot eat peanut butter so i might have some almond butter instead of the almonds.

I like to run on a empty

I like to run on a empty stomach so I don't eat anything, nor carry fluids with me up to 15 miles. If I run more than 15 miles, I will throw down a few tablespoons of chia seeds, and wash it down with water. If I run 20 miles or more, i will have a cliff bar before hand, or oatmeal.

Post run I am not hungry for awhile, so I just drink fluids. I am ready to eat maybe 2 hours after a run. Usually it's somewhat healthy or not, really depends.

Eggs and bacon or sausage

Eggs and bacon or sausage before a run or race, orange juice (I have an iron stomach), or lately potato flour or almond meal pancakes (I'm grain-free)

Afterwards nothing, or something salty and potassiumy like plantain or potato chips

During nothing, although I will take Gatorade during a race over 5 miles

BEFORE:Usually nothing up to

BEFORE:

Usually nothing up to 4 hours before due to the insulin response but do then down something right at the start or 5 min prior (insulin response dulled during exercise)

DURING TRAINING FOR ANYTHING OVER AN HOUR: Consume 250-300 cal/hour religiously

Perpetuem (if race prep), gorp of peanuts and raisins, bars of various varieties (9-Bar from Wales is fantastic by the way), sometimes sport drinks, and DEFINITELY S-caps (electrolyte supplements). Granted, s-caps not required until maybe 2.5-3 hours, but I live by the mantra "train how you race."

DURING RACE (always well over an hour...) Consume 250-300 cal/hour religiously

Perpetuem for sure, some roctane/goo, and then after say 5-8 hours, whatever looks edible at the aid stations, which has been anything from fresh fruit, peanuts, boiled potatoes and salt, pizza, bean burrito, potato chips, PB&J sandwiches, etc. And, DEFINITELY S-caps (electrolyte supplements) because I'd prefer not to be debilitated with cramps or coma.

POST-RUN (all)

Eat carb and protein of any type, preferably real food (veggie burger, hummus and pita, etc) or if I'm on the run, a protein bar or a protein/carb recovery drink.

If you are unsure of when or why to consume calories before, during, or after a run AND you are doing longer endurance runs, you would do yourself a heap of good to read "The Endurance Athlete's Guide to Success," which is a free downloand from here:

http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledge/essential-knowledge/

You don't need to buy their stuff, just read the thing already.

NOTES: It's been extremely well proven that there is a measurable benefit to consuming protein within no more than 1.5 hours after a workout. This is fact. It's also been proven that consuming carbs during a workout or race does improve performance, and that for longer runs protein plays an important role too, unless you think that scavenging your own muscle for protein is somehow a good idea. Matt Fitzgerald has argued however that SOME of your runs should be calorie restricted to increase interleukin-6 production which in turn allegedly plays a role in adaptation. I'm not sure I've bought into that argument yet as my longer runs are probably producing plenty of IL-6 on their own anyway, and I prefer to finish my runs in the best condition that I can with the fastest recovery possible. Not saying I'm right and Matt is wrong (since he is one of the premier world running experts currently), but that's my opinion for the moment.

I usually don't eat anything

I usually don't eat anything for hours before running...maybe a super light watery protien shake...but for afterwards I LOOOOOOVE:

- Skim milk + chocolate Quik

- A...protien shake. God I'm such a protien shake whore. Actually, I used to get tired during my 15-milers and started loading protien shakes into my water belt. Totally pumped me up during a long long run.

- Naked juice: Mighty Mango is a favorite...it's got loads of potasium

- Wasa Crackers with peanut butter, or with cheese on top melted in the oven

- Greek yogurt. The expensive stuff. Out of the carton. With a spoon.

Lol.

I'm out the door 15 minutes

I'm out the door 15 minutes after I get up in the morning. I can't run on an empty stomach, so I have a slice of bread with grape jelly (no butter) and about 8 ozs of diluted orange juice. Anything more than this and I have "problems" . About a half hour after I get back I have a normal breakfast, cereal and toast.

One thing I have found works

One thing I have found works wonders in keeping me going and avoiding cramps is vegemite lathered thickly on really fresh wholegrain bread - cut into nice neat fingers. The vegemite not only tastes bloody fantastic, but is full of salt.

Ok, I'm Australian, but you did ask.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts