Explosions at Boston Marathon...

Sad, sad. I guess the bomb went off at the 4:09 mark. Anyone who hadn't finished was stopped well back. Pictures are pretty horrific. Aerial shot of the blast site showed lots of debris and lots of blood stains on the concrete.

I read somewhere that 4:09 is a common finishing time ("popular" was the actual word that was used), so that the bombs were set to do the maximum amount of damage..

AN 8-YEAR OLD CHILD! WHAT THE F$%K?! It's bad when innocent people are killed by F$%K WADS like this, but a CHILD?! LEAVE THE CHILDREN ALONE YOU MOTHER F$%KERS!!!! It's a good thing I don't report the news.

Yeah - I read that. Makes you sort of wonder "What's the point?"

There are no words adequate for the grief of such things.

Especially bad ones. Sorry about that, but when it comes to kids and babies...I lose it, dammit! :mad::rage::wtf:

Especially bad ones. Sorry about that, but when it comes to kids and babies...I lose it, dammit! :mad::rage::wtf:
I wasn't complaining about anything. Just wanting to say something and finding nothing that worked. Tears seem to be the only thing that comes close.

Oh, I know you weren't. I wasn't taking it that way. That's honestly how I feel about crap like this. I wish I could do more. I feel so helpless.

My heart's been breaking over this all day. I'm steeling myself for the discussion with my students tomorrow (they know I'm a runner so this will be big news for them. It still amazes me how much third graders tune in to news like this). The fact an 8-year old was a victim destroys me because all I can picture is my 8-year old students when I think of it.

There just aren't words to express what I feel.

My heart's been breaking over this all day. I'm steeling myself for the discussion with my students tomorrow (they know I'm a runner so this will be big news for them. It still amazes me how much third graders tune in to news like this). The fact an 8-year old was a victim destroys me because all I can picture is my 8-year old students when I think of it.

There just aren't words to express what I feel.

Not to mention the fact that Newtown was not that long ago. It's sort of lose/lose: If you sugar coat it, they'll see right through you; if you tell them the truth they'll (rightfully) not want to leave the house ever again. Out of curiosity, do you think the school will have something prepared to say to the students? Or will the administrators hide in their offices and let the teachers sort it out by themselves?

Lomad, how did your school handle the news about the murdering of those beautiful, precious children at Sandy Hook Elementary School?

My sons' school didn't mention a word. They felt it was too frightening to tell them; they didn't want to scare the children.

My sons' school didn't mention a word. They felt it was too frightening to tell them; they didn't want to scare the children.

Really? In your opinion, was that the best way to handle the situation? I was taught that when dealing with kids, it's best to play it straight because they can figure out the truth anyhow, and when they figure out you're lying to them, they lose all trust in you.

Reactions: jldeleon
I think that is the exact right thing to do. I feel it should be up to the parents to decide if they want their children to know something like that, no one else.

My sons attend the same school. I told my oldest what happened at Sandy Hook before anyone else did. He's 10. He took it well. I did not tell my youngest what happened. He's 6. He would not have understood. I made that call, and it should be my right to make those calls, no one else. Handled it the same way with today's tragedy, in fact.

My sons' school also did not tell the children about the 10th anniversary of 911. I appreciated that they did not. When I asked my oldest son's teacher if they would be talking to the kids about what happened, she told me no, that that should be the parents' decision, not theirs, and I totally respect this school for giving me that right.

We parents know best what is right for our children before anyone else does.

Reactions: happysongbird
Schools "should" let each teacher handle it so that they can communicate what is going on, to the grades they teach, in an age appropriate way.

I completely disagree. We're talking about young kids here. At my sons' school they range from age 5 through 12. What is a 5 year old going to comprehend if you explain something like that to them? It's too early. They don't need to know about horrors such as these. They will learn soon enough through higher level education and life experience. At this young age, it should be the parents' choice to educate their children about events like this. When they're in high school, they will have plenty of opportunities to learn about the Holocaust, the Civil War, etc. Let them be kids. Let them live free.

What the teachers and the school (and parents) should concentrate on is emergency procedures, stranger danger, and safety education.

It "should be" the parents' choice, but if your kid is in a public school, the odds are it will be discussed with them anyway, and you won't get a choice.

Reactions: happysongbird
That's why I love that my sons' school allows the parents to make these choices during times like this.

It "should be" the parents' choice, but if your kid is in a public school, the odds are it will be discussed with them anyway, and you won't get a choice.

I think that could happen in a private school too though.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test