Expat looking for barefoot-friendly doctor/therapist

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Ala, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Ala

Ala Barefooters

Hi everyone,

Sorry for lack of Dutch. I am an expat living in Nijmegen and am wondering if anybody knows of a doctor who is experienced with barefoot runners/ runs themselves that they'd be willing to recommend?

I'm trying to transition properly and some professional guidance would be great.

(sorry if I broke any forum rules with this thread!!)
    Thanks,
    Ala

2. johan131

johan131 Chapter Presidents
    1. Nederland -...
    2. Presidents
    3. Portugal

Welcome Ala! Can you be a little more specific on the issues you're dealing with. I don't know any barefoot running doctors in the Netherlands, but maybe we can help you in the right direction.

3. Ala

Ala Barefooters

Hi Johan,

Thanks for reaching out. I have peroneal subluxation in my left ankle because I ran in VFFs for too long without proper form and transitioning.

I had tendonitis for roughly 8 weeks. Some months after, I started slowly removing orthotics, spending less time in conventional shoes, and bought a pair of casual barefoot shoes.

The issue at the moment is that my left ankle still "snaps". It doesn't hurt, but I can reproduce the snapping when I do calf-raises or walk for long periods of time. For now, I've been watching a lot of videos on hip/core stability as well as exercises to do for peroneal injuries, but I would like a professional to examine me and give me some more well-thought advice.

However! I went to the Barefoot shoe store in Arnhem and found that they have a directory of physiotherapists who are "barefoot-friendly" so I will try them, but any advice from experienced BFRs is highly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Ala

4. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad