Evidence - BFR fixes flat feet

I'm in that thread too, Para,

I'm in that thread too, Para, but my changes didn't come about as quickly as yours.

My feet are flat as a board, 

My feet are flat as a board, I have been running barefoot for 14 months.

I will be hitting 1000 miles very soon for the year, and average about 25 -30 mpw and have no change at all, still flat as a pancake, but they have widened slightly. I am skeptical when people say their feet change in that short amount of time.

Adam G. wrote:My feet are

Adam G. said:
My feet are flat as a board, I have been running barefoot for 14 months. I will be hitting 1000 miles very soon for the year, and average about 25 -30 mpw and have no change at all, still flat as a pancake, but they have widened slightly. I am skeptical when people say their feet change in that short amount of time.

I'm with you, I'm having a very hard time believing this.

With all respect to Para we

With all respect to Para we need empirical data to go along with antidotal accounts. The photos are impressive so I have a hunch that this is not the only time changes to the arch caused by strengthening of the supportive muscles has been documented.

One is an anomaly, 3 is very interesting, 30 deserves a cover story in Nature.

If the good Dr or anyone else can come up with more data on this I think credibility would be preserved.

Adam G. wrote:My feet are

Adam G. said:
My feet are flat as a board, I have been running barefoot for 14 months. I will be hitting 1000 miles very soon for the year, and average about 25 -30 mpw and have no change at all, still flat as a pancake, but they have widened slightly.

Adam, that makes me curious.

I am guessing with feet completely flat your plantar skin must be thickened and conditioned everywhere on your sole even in the "arch" area.

If that is the case you should be more protected from possible injuries from stepping on something sharp (glass, rock) so having flat feet would be an actual advantage for BFR.

Just saying because my plantar skin has thickened everywhere but in the arch area where it is still really soft and that's the only spot where I get the occasional glass and small rock punctures.

I've been flat footed all my

I've been flat footed all my life. After hearing Christopher McDougall interviewed on the radio one day, I thought the barefoot approach might help my chronic hip and back pain, so I ordered a pair of VFF, and began wearing them in early September this year.

I was not a runner (running has always been too painful to endure,) but was walking around 30 miles a week and began walking in the VFF and a pair of Saucony Bullets, also fairly minimalistic with no arch support, which I also began wearing as my daily footwear for work, etc. In addition, I began weight-training in the VFF three days a week. After reading Jason Robillard's book (hoping to improve my walking form), I began running a little bit.

After two months without supportive shoes, my chiropractor took a foot scan, intended to be my "starting" documentation, because he was very interested in seeing if my arches improved over time. We were both shocked to learn that my lifelong flat feet had already developed arches. My doctor marveled over how well balanced my feet were. I could not believe this had happened after only two months, but have no explanation other than giving up the supportive shoes.

Amazing!  How far do you run

Amazing! How far do you run now, Linda?

Linda, if you have any scans

Linda, if you have any scans of your feet, our Doc would like to see them. If you don't have them, please start documenting the changes to your feet with preferrably black ink on white paper, and email them to me at [email protected]. Thanks.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts