Epic fail

Barefoot Dama

Barefooters
Jun 8, 2010
Iowa
Or was it.
So I went to my 4mi trail race not knowing what to expect as far as terrain is concern.
It was a beautiful trail along the lake that helped deal with the shocking surprice:wtf:
It was all hills, hills and more hills but I like hills so that part was ok.
The terrain was another matter there was a tiny portion of pavement at the beggining and end, the rest was all gravel, gravel and more gravel.
I took like bat out of hell and told myself to get over as fast as I could but it didn't happen that way.
Was able to keep the first two miles at an 8mmp but I knew that my feet were not going to keep the pace for the last two miles it was just too much gravel, I never ran that far in those ground conditions before and my feet did let me know.
I slowed down quite a bit and finished in 36 mins at a 9mmp sharp.
Disappointed? sure, I've never ran that slow on a short race before and this the first time that I didn't place.
My husband ask me if I would run the race again and I said yes next year I would and he told me that next time I should wear my vibrams, I told him that I will think about it.
I though about it for about a second and I said that I will run it barefoot again.
Wha? Why? he was surprice by my answer.
I told him that this race tought me something, I learned that I don't always have to have my way and that it's ok to not come on top everytime and what's important is that I gave it my best shot and had fun at the same time. I did have fun despite of it all, it was dificult not to have fun with all the beauty around me.
The good news is that there were no blisters, none, and my feet felt great as soon as I stop running. But the stimulation, OMG the stimulation, I never experience this kind of stimulation before, within about 30 mins after the run the soles of my feet were itching and it was a really good itching-joyful itching.
Overall it was a great and humble experience.

Good for you! Still, 36 minutes is good for 4 miles over gravel, gravel, gravel.

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
Proud of you ! Your husband just doesn't get the barefoot thing. Most spouses don't !

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
Very nice Dama, great perseverance. :)
Thanks Dutchie quitting never crossed my mind
Una Mujer Dura! Wow! Very good for you!

I'm inspired, but not enough to go into a trail race blind. I will certainly wimp out and at least bring my Vibrams along.
Thanks JT, I could've brought my VFF but I brought my big girl panties instead;) . To be honest I never thought about the surface untill I got there and it was too late for any changes then.
Good for you! Still, 36 minutes is good for 4 miles over gravel, gravel, gravel.
Thanks TJ, actually, I got over my disappointment rather quickly and I am ok with my timing now, it could've being worse. At least it was faster than a lot of shoddies:D
Proud of you ! Your husband just doesn't get the barefoot thing. Most spouses don't !
Thanks Board, I think the reason my husband suggested VFF for next time is because he knows how competitive I am but he gets the BFR thingy, believe me. He doesn't run BF but he knows all about it.