End of the road?

Ronnie B

Barefooters
Feb 2, 2012
Bermuda
In January I experienced great burning pain and swelling in my right leg from just above the kne to the ankle. Over the past 6 months have tried resting, anti inflammatories and wraps. Finally got XRays and an MRI.

Got the news last week - I have a "very messed up knee," consisting of osteo-arthritis as well as a possible cartilage tear. Told quite definitively "your running days are over." The threat is any further running will result in pain, further deterioration of the knee leading to requiring a new one. Ironically suggested glucosamine -something we give to our dogs to help with their joints.

I love bf running as well as running dog agility and while disappointed am pragmatic enough to realize I am lucky If i can prevent surgery. A friend told me of stem cell therapy for the knees that does not involve surgery that may enable me to run again.

I am 62, 6', 225lbs.

My question is - is the stem cell therapy at all a possibility or should I just accept fate, forget running in all forms and get on with walking and elliptical training?

Bike riding is out as I have been involved in a crash with a motor bike and swore off - too many idiots on our roads.