Embedded rocks

MirthScout

Barefooters
Oct 21, 2010
So it was a little damp out yesterday since it had rained all day but warmer that usual for this time of year (but still cold). I decide VFFs aren't needed, I can get a barefoot run in. My runs are mostly smooth concrete on the oceanfront boardwalk with some rougher concreate and asphault getting there and back. I decide at the 2 mile mark that my feet might be getting a little sensitive with the damp and chill so I should head back and limit the run to 4 miles, which is still a good run for me.

Good choice. By the time I get home I'm feeling some hot spots. Then... that doesn't feel right. I look at my right big toe, no, no blister, but, what's that? I scrape a little dark spot with my finger nail and pull a small rock out of my toe. Hey my left big toe still hurts too. Another rock! And, and... my right bid toe still hurts... another rock! OK, "rock" might be giving them too much credit; too small to be a rock but much too big to call sand.

OK, I've gotten one small rock stuck in the bottom of my foot before, but three!

I don't think I've ever read about this here before. Does this happen to others or is this just another way that I'm weird?

I had this one run that

I had this one run that seemed to really suck. I seemed to step on EVERYTHING! Fortunately, I haven't had a run like that since. All the other runs well make up for that one crappy run. (How do you spell crappy? Is it crappy or crappie?)

This is common.  I was

This is common. I was walking around campus the other night and picked up two or three that I had to dig out. When I run I often pick up one or two every so often on my big toe so I have to swipe at my foot and get rid of it so I can keep going.

I have gotten small rocks

I have gotten small rocks lodged in my feet before and not felt the rocks being there for the entire run. Sometimes I have gone 2 or 3 days without looking at the bottom of my feet and find a rock there and wonder how long it has been in there for.

My least favorite this time

My least favorite this time of year is the grit they lay down for snow and ice. Maybe it's the cold road surface, but that stuff always seems to hurt so much more than summertime gravel and to require frequent ground slide manuevers and the occasional quick stop to see what it is that's wedged itself in deeper than average. Maybe I'm just a sissy when the road's cold.

Oh, and a "crappie" is a panfish that looks like a sunny in jungle cammo.

Yes, I know.  One of my

Yes, I know. One of my favorites. But still, how to spell?

That's what wet and cold does

That's what wet and cold does to me. :(

MirthScout said:
So it was a little damp out yesterday since it had rained all day but warmer that usual for this time of year (but still cold). I decide VFFs aren't needed, I can get a barefoot run in. My runs are mostly smooth concrete on the oceanfront boardwalk with some rougher concreate and asphault getting there and back. I decide at the 2 mile mark that my feet might be getting a little sensitive with the damp and chill so I should head back and limit the run to 4 miles, which is still a good run for me.

Good choice. By the time I get home I'm feeling some hot spots. Then... that doesn't feel right. I look at my right big toe, no, no blister, but, what's that? I scrape a little dark spot with my finger nail and pull a small rock out of my toe. Hey my left big toe still hurts too. Another rock! And, and... my right bid toe still hurts... another rock! OK, "rock" might be giving them too much credit; too small to be a rock but much too big to call sand.

OK, I've gotten one small rock stuck in the bottom of my foot before, but three!

I don't think I've ever read about this here before. Does this happen to others or is this just another way that I'm weird?

Yes, spoonerweb, that's

Yes, spoonerweb, that's exactly what I'm talking about, though I don't thing I've gone longer than a day brfore finding and picking them out.

BarefootGburg, I think that's it. The wet softens up the pads so the rock can embed in there and the cold numbs them a little so you don't know it's happening.

Maybe it's toughening up the feet faster. Hmmmm.. maybe leave them in there and if I get enough I'll have rock plated feet. I'll be able to run on anything! Or maybe not.

I've noticed I get them

I've noticed I get them imbedded my plantar skin as well since I started running in the Illinois cold. I have just left them alone and haven't had any problems other than some speckled skin.

That's crazy!  I've never had

That's crazy! I've never had anything dig into my foot like that, and I don't think I put enough preasure on my toes for them to pick anything up either. I did have a leaf freeze to the bottom of my foot in 30deg weather last month...was a little weird. Like licking metal, it just stuck!

Glad you're ok!

-Jonny

I have stepped on a couple

I have stepped on a couple stickers before and had them stick to my foot, very annoying to have to stop and actually peel them off. The rocks in the foot have nothing to do with cold, I have had it happen throughout the year and it doesn't really get cold here. I think it is just the thickening of the skin.

During the first few months

During the first few months that I began running barefoot exclusively, I had several episodes of embedded rocks and glass. The embedded objects were uncomfortable, but I usually didn't realize something was embedded for days or weeks, and eventually removed them. Almost all of these episodes occurred when it was cold and during the period when my plantar skin was pretty thin. I don't think it was a coincidence, because if my feet are numb, I land harder and feel less. I haven't had any embedded objects in many months. I was thinking that I had moved beyond that, but others' comments here suggest that it happens to the most experienced barefoot runners.

Well, speak of the devil and

Well, speak of the devil and he is sure to appear. A few days after I wrote the post above, my left big toe got infected. It had a small puncture hole, but no obvious embedded object. So I assumed that something microscopic had entered under the skin and caused the infection, which turned my big toe red like Santa Claus' nose. It hurt to put pressure on it, but it didn't hurt to run on (which is the remarkable thing about running barefoot with few spots on the foot ever taking most of the shock). Today, it started hurting a lot more at the site of the puncture, so I spent 30 minutes of uncomfortable probing with a needle. Finally, I removed a small piece of clear, colorless glass shaped like two sharp bull horns. Proof that I'm still as vulnerable as I was a year ago!

Phil Hart wrote:And I hereby

Phil Hart said:
And I hereby officially nominate Nick as "Mr. Language Person" for the BRS site.

Hahaha! I would not give me any sort of position of power! I might start changing words meanings just to suit me and my needs. Lol!
wink.png

Funny.  It might almost be a

Funny. It might almost be a relief to find the bits of rock to remove? Sometimes when I run on the gravel I "feel" the rocks embed into my feet, but when I check, they're clean! I can't get rid of the sensation that there is something embedded there! And the panfish explanation was a sort of non-sequiter. I had to backtrack to find the spelling question. ; )