Electrically Grounded

Paul M

Barefooters
Aug 28, 2011
Well this is a new claim to me
http://www.normalbreathing.com/d/chronic-inflammation.php
sounds pretty 'left field' but the guy does have a scientific background, so I'm not qualified to comment.

Now we come to the main problem that causes chronic inflammation. Together with destruction of damaged cells, free radicals also leak into surrounding areas and destroy healthy cells causing the classic quintet of hallmarks of inflammation: PRISH or Pain, Redness, Immobility (loss of function), Swelling and Heat. However, this (abnormal) scenario takes place in modern humans (and during animal studies) only in conditions of electrical insulation from Earth and due to electron deficiency.
Humans used to be electrically grounded to Earth (due to barefoot life and absence of artificial fabrics) for nearly 24/7 just several generations ago, and this provided the human body with a slightly negative electrical charge that corresponds to Earth's negative potential. However, nearly all modern research is performed on insulated humans and animals who have a positive charge or electron deficiency. What are the effects? Let us consider the key problem associated with chronic inflammation.
Grounding the human body results in disactivation of free radicals in healthy tissues since Earth can provide an abundant supply of electrons to neutralize free radicals, prevent damage of health cells, and "quench" chronic inflammation. As a result, grounding, within 10-30 minutes, reduces chronic inflammation and pain. Here is a link to one of the studies that provides references and thermal images related to effects of grounding on chronic inflammation.
Therefore, the first and easy step in order to reduce chronic inflammation is to provide free electrons for the body or ensure those natural conditions that existed during human and animal evolution.

Nobody that understands what those words mean believes in this nonsense, but a handfull of folks with no scientific background whatsoever apparantly do.

Pish.

Somewhat OT but still relevant, every aerobic organism that ever existed has produced free radicals in its body, whatever form that body may take. They're a completely normal aspect of life on Earth and serve a purpose. I'm definitely not on the 'eradicate free radicals and live forever' team. The whole war on antioxidants hasn't helped anyone live longer or avoid disease. But it's provided a hefty return on investment for plenty of slick entrepreneurs.

Reactions: Longboard
aahhh yes...grounding. Many fruitful :confused: and quite entertaining threads have spawned from these types of articles.

I think that there is definitely something to be said for antioxidants. I never really did until I fractured my clavicle in a motorcycle accident. I had some white tea one night and realized I felt much better the next morning. Didn't have it the next night and felt like crap. I did it a few times to test and realized that whether it was the placebo effect or not, I was going to have some every night. When I went back to have the doctor x-ray me and see if it was healing properly, it was difficult to even tell that there had been a fracture. I employ some tea and other natural antioxidants after long runs to help with healing and recovery.